Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I started my post out → “I have always figured” (#10) That could make me right or wrong ….
I wasn’t pointing fingers ….But if it hits a nerve….that’s ok … It applies to me just as much as to anyone else.
What was the point of posting that with no comment on the actual topic?

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was both erroneous and racist in Obama's case. Once an error has been pointed out then continuing it is no longer an error but deliberate tactic and a lie.

Note that the question about McCain was not an issue, while birtherism most definitely was.
This is interesting. The question about where Obama was born was based on where his father was from and a story that he had been born in Africa. It was not based on the color of his skin. Note that his parents did go to Africa and met his father's family at one point, but were in Hawaii when he was born. Therefore, the claim isn't racist. Nor is is accurate to say that it persisted due to his race, as there is a long history of such rumors persisting even after they have been debunked.

Meanwhile, the claim against McCain didn't gain traction because by law the children born in the Panama Canal Zone who have one or both parents who are US Citizens are US citizens and perhaps because Obama had already been through it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is interesting. The question about where Obama was born was based on where his father was from and a story that he had been born in Africa. It was not based on the color of his skin. Note that his parents did go to Africa and met his father's family at one point, but were in Hawaii when he was born. Therefore, the claim isn't racist. Nor is is accurate to say that it persisted due to his race, as there is a long history of such rumors persisting even after they have been debunked.

Meanwhile, the claim against McCain didn't gain traction because by law the children born in the Panama Canal Zone who have one or both parents who are US Citizens are US citizens and perhaps because Obama had already been through it.
Obama’s mother being a citizen meant that his father’s birthplace didn’t matter and that his own birthplace didn’t matter.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You missed my point …………………..although I don’t think you did.
I've asked you straight up what your point was. If you say I did indeed get your point, then you admit to piously pointing fingers while adding nothing useful to the conversation; your point seems to be to shut down any critical discussion. If this is your point, fine, but if not then explain.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trump was absolutely into being racist. He may not have been 1920's Alabama Racist, but he did plenty of things both during his political career and before it that exhibited more contemporary flavors of racism.

Trump was sort of a fascist lite, or maybe aesthetically fascist - he has fascist tendencies in that he's authoritarian and anti-democratic, ultra-nationalistic, and very into cultivating a cult of personality. But he didn't have the discipline or even much apparent desire to be a real head of state. If he'd started out in politics instead of real estate, then by now, he'd probably have wound up a real fascist, but instead, he wound up as a 70yo spoiled rich playboy who half-heartedly played fascist on tv.
Trump was a lot of things...bombastic, obnoxious, rude, no doubt..but is most decidedly not "racist" or "fascist".

The fascists were the ones who opposed him, and wanted to lock down America and control Americans forever, actually.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I've asked you straight up what your point was. If you say I did indeed get your point, then you admit to piously pointing fingers while adding nothing useful to the conversation; your point seems to be to shut down any critical discussion. If this is your point, fine, but if not then explain.
I was not virtue signaling with my statement. The primary reason I wrote what I wrote was to get people to think…. I will elaborate and you can take it for what it’s worth.

The statement itself is pretty straight forward.
"I have always figured that people who attempt to discern others’ traits without knowing the person or without getting direct revelation from God …are either wrong or pointing three fingers back at themselves."

What I said applies to me as much as anyone else…. Now, I don’t think I have ever called anyone a racist or fascist or condemned anyone to hell ….other than jokingly…. but I have unleashed a diatribe on political leaders and others who seek to destroy American freedom and promote agenda’s that are detrimental to personal freedoms. They were an easy target to vent my frustration and cast unfounded aspersion at (unfounded being the operative word). They may be true …..or not… but I felt justified with my in-depth spiritual perception and awareness (and that is a joke).

Not to long ago I caught myself as I was proofing something before posting. And I started to ask myself some questions… like….. What is the profit to this? Does this antagonize others? Does this inspire others to also throw about unfounded accusations? Is what I am saying… lies, truths, or feelings based on my position? How does this benefit others? And what is this doing to me, to my mind other than fertilizing anger, distain, and self-righteousness. …. Other than me, who cares what I think, it’s not changing anyone’s life for the better …which is what I am supposed to be about…

The answer to the first question is…. There is no profit, but there is much determent …to others… possibly.... but to self ….definitely. If it’s revelation from God and He tells me to say it…I will. But if it is not, it is unfounded accusations…. lies based on feelings. Disagreeing with someone based on actions or policies is acceptable and normal, but crossing the line to spout judgment “these things ought not so to be.” (Jas 3:10b

No one knows the heart of man, save God.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You missed my point …………………..although I don’t think you did.
Your “point “ was that you tried to wedge in a very wise and profound truth to give yourself gravitas and now we know that that’s overcompensation for something.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I was not virtue signaling with my statement. The primary reason I wrote what I wrote was to get people to think…. I will elaborate and you can take it for what it’s worth.

The statement itself is pretty straight forward.
"I have always figured that people who attempt to discern others’ traits without knowing the person or without getting direct revelation from God …are either wrong or pointing three fingers back at themselves."

What I said applies to me as much as anyone else…. Now, I don’t think I have ever called anyone a racist or fascist or condemned anyone to hell ….other than jokingly…. but I have unleashed a diatribe on political leaders and others who seek to destroy American freedom and promote agenda’s that are detrimental to personal freedoms. They were an easy target to vent my frustration and cast unfounded aspersion at (unfounded being the operative word). They may be true …..or not… but I felt justified with my in-depth spiritual perception and awareness (and that is a joke).

Not to long ago I caught myself as I was proofing something before posting. And I started to ask myself some questions… like….. What is the profit to this? Does this antagonize others? Does this inspire others to also throw about unfounded accusations? Is what I am saying… lies, truths, or feelings based on my position? How does this benefit others? And what is this doing to me, to my mind other than fertilizing anger, distain, and self-righteousness. …. Other than me, who cares what I think, it’s not changing anyone’s life for the better …which is what I am supposed to be about…

The answer to the first question is…. There is no profit, but there is much determent …to others… possibly.... but to self ….definitely. If it’s revelation from God and He tells me to say it…I will. But if it is not, it is unfounded accusations…. lies based on feelings. Disagreeing with someone based on actions or policies is acceptable and normal, but crossing the line to spout judgment “these things ought not so to be.” (Jas 3:10b

No one knows the heart of man, save God.
Thanks Rebbe.

Upvote 0