Was Solomon saved?

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
OK. What is the OT understanding of repentance as compared to today?

Squeezing through that narrow gate, and how the O.T. viewed "repentance". :confused: Both in the Old and New Testaments "repentance" the law worked repentance, however not all the time in the Old did it state one was "repentant". In the sense of "repentance" was there such as "turning back to the Lord" sort of thing is the best way I can poorly describe it off the top; however I did find my old old note regarding Solomon:

If the Preacher (Koheleth) in Ecclesiaste is traceable to Solomon as far as the leading thoghts are concerned, we should find in the fact an evidence of Solomon's conversion, or at least proof that at the close of his life Solomon discovered the vanity of all earthly possessions and aims, and declared the fear of God to be the onoy abiding good, with which a man can stand before the judgment of God. This is what I mean by the Old not saying that one repented, however the sense is definitely there. I, myself, do believe Solomon was the Preacher. :idea:

Thank you, thanks to you, revisited this excellent ground,

Old Jack

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Squeezing through that narrow gate, and how the O.T. viewed "repentance". :confused: Both in the Old and New Testaments "repentance" the law worked repentance, however not all the time in the Old did it state one was "repentant". In the sense of "repentance" was there such as "turning back to the Lord" sort of thing is the best way I can poorly describe it off the top; however I did find my old old note regarding Solomon:

If the Preacher (Koheleth) in Ecclesiaste is traceable to Solomon as far as the leading thoghts are concerned, we should find in the fact an evidence of Solomon's conversion, or at least proof that at the close of his life Solomon discovered the vanity of all earthly possessions and aims, and declared the fear of God to be the onoy abiding good, with which a man can stand before the judgment of God. This is what I mean by the Old not saying that one repented, however the sense is definitely there. I, myself, do believe Solomon was the Preacher. :idea:

Thank you, thanks to you, revisited this excellent ground,

Old Jack
Yes, I believe Solomon was the Preacher.
He understood that the fear of God is the only remaining thing because He is the Judge who knows everything.
He certainly recognized the Sovereignty of God.
But it seems he just stopped here.

Oh, I could be wrong. :)
I am not pushing my view, just discussing. :)

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
As soon as one looses their "faith" effected through "repentance," ie, like those easy ones. Thank you again my friend. :thumbsup:

Old Jack

Thanks. But the question was addressed to Oz for a specific reason.

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I believe Solomon was the Preacher.
He understood that the fear of God is the only remaining thing because He is the Judge who knows everything.
He certainly recognized the Sovereignty of God.
But it seems he just stopped here.

Oh, I could be wrong. :)
I am not pushing my view, just discussing. :)

Thanks, :)
Ed

:thumbsup: I always like to be in error and Christ be true plus be one of the very few heartfully refutable and correctable posters on CF, however I have always apprreciated the ending at Eccles.12:13, ie, good place to stop. :idea:

Obviously you care about the Cross more than the 1.5 hours on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Old Jack 'pulling' with you :amen:

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Because you believe it. And so I'm wondering at what point it happens, and how it relates to Solomon.
I've told you that before in other threads, so why are you asking again? It's not because you lack knowledge of my view.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
As soon as one looses their "faith" effected through "repentance," ie, like those easy ones. Thank you again my friend. :thumbsup:

Old Jack
Old Jack,

Do you know the difference between 'loose' and 'lose'?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I've told you that before in other threads, so why are you asking again? It's not because you lack knowledge of my view.

Could you please answer the question? It's pertinent to this thread, and it's more than just you and I discussing this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Because you believe it. And so I'm wondering at what point it happens, and how it relates to Solomon.
If you are wanting to argue back and forth about your Calvinistic view vs my Reformed Arminian understanding of eternal security and how that applies to Solomon, I'm not interested.

So far in this eternal security debate, I've not seen any movement either way. I'm not interested in perpetrating nastiness between opposing sides.

Reactions: Edial
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If you are wanting to argue back and forth about your Calvinistic view vs my Reformed Arminian understanding of eternal security and how that applies to Solomon, I'm not interested.

So far in this eternal security debate, I've not seen any movement either way. I'm not interested in perpetrating nastiness between opposing sides.

I'm not interested in discussing eternal security. But I would like an answer to my question.

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceThruFaith

Aug 24, 2013
✟15,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In light of IISam.7:12-15 & IKi.11:9 comparing commentaries drawing my own conclusion, ie, I have that God hadn't fully removed God's grace from Solomon. :idea:

Old Jack

I am going to agree that Solomon was saved.

He certainly did much evil though.

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Old Jack,

Do you know the difference between 'loose' and 'lose'?

Have my back to the wall on this one, ie, good job! I even proof read before posting, ie, processing area of my limited brain not processing again. Happening more often as each decade just slides right on by, ie, "lose it" or "loose it"? Give me another chance at processing. :blush:

Old Jack, and thank you again! :thumbsup:

btw trying to 'lose' myself on these threads ^_^

Always appreciate you and others on these threads of course. :) without sarcasm nor rhetoric this time ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So are you wanting to dissociate eternal security from losing one's salvation?

I'm actually hoping you'll answer my question. Then we can move on.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Jack,

I love your gentle, humble spirit displayed in your responses. May the Lord bless and encourage you today.

Sadly, a spell checker may not pick up loose from lose as both are legitimate words.

So in reading one of your earlier comments, did I gain the impression that it is your view that a person can lose his/her salvation? Was that because of apostasy or for some other reason?

The Brissy bloke from Down Under
Oz

Have my back to the wall on this one, ie, good job! I even proof read before posting, ie, processing area of my limited brain not processing again. Happening more often as each decade just slides right on by, ie, "lose it" or "loose it"? Give me another chance at processing. :blush:

Old Jack, and thank you again! :thumbsup:

btw trying to 'lose' myself on these threads ^_^

Always appreciate you and others on these threads of course. :) without sarcasm nor rhetoric this time ;)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I will not engage in a scrap between us. And if you want to goad me like this, I'll not reply to you.

It's not a scrap. I asked a question that's pertinent to this thread. You've not answered.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It's not a scrap. I asked a question that's pertinent to this thread. You've not answered.
The reason given in Hebrews 6:4-6 for losing salvation ('falling away' from the faith) is apostasy. The Greek word used confirms this: parapesontas, aorist participle of parapipto, which Arndt & Gingrich's Greek lexicon gives the meaning as “fall away, commit apostasy” (1957:626). It is a point action (aorist tense) of committing the act of apostasy. This meaning is affirmed by Thayer's Greek lexicon: “to fall away (from the true faith)” (1962:485).

And, based on this passage from Heb 6:4-6, it is impossible for those who commit apostasy to be restored to repentance.

What's the evidence that Solomon committed apostasy?

Upvote 0