Was Jesus the only person who never sinned?

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Where does that dogma come from? Does the Bible say Mary was sinless?
I just read colors response to you.:sigh: No, the Bible does not teach that Mary was sinless. That is one of the "holy traditions/stories" invented by Roman Catholics. Just like we are born of parents who committed sin in their lives, when we are filled with Christ's Spirit when we repent, Jesus takes away all of our sin. That Spirit is referred to as the seed of God. 1 John 3:9. Jesus was born out of that seed, so was sinless from birth.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that Jesus was tempted in every way, yet did not sin. From conception He had the seed of the Father. Thus He was born of God.

1 John 3:9
9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

This means those that receive the baptism of the Spirit have the "seed of God" in them. But there are two others I'm curious about.

What about John the Baptist. He received the Holy Spirit while in Elizabeth's womb.

And what about Enoch who walked with God, and He took him.

Were John the Baptist and Enoch considered sinners by God, and did they ever sin while on earth?

When the term "sin" is mentioned in the bible, it is almost always a noun instead of a verb. So in that Hebrews passage, he is saying that Jesus did not have a sinful nature, so he cannot sin (noun), not that he did not sin (verb).

As for Enoch and John the Baptist, they had the sinful nature, meaning they will always sin (as a verb)

Upvote 0

TheDonBar

TheDonBar
Aug 25, 2018
Sudbury
✟12,477.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I know that Jesus was tempted in every way, yet did not sin. From conception He had the seed of the Father. Thus He was born of God.

9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

This means those that receive the baptism of the Spirit have the "seed of God" in them. But there are two others I'm curious about.

What about John the Baptist. He received the Holy Spirit while in Elizabeth's womb.

Were John the Baptist and Enoch considered sinners by God, and did they ever sin while on earth?

Several Catholics have already mentioned Mary being conceived without sin however, it is also commonly held (although I don't believe it is doctrine) that St. Joseph although conceived with original sin; never committed any personal sin.

• Haha
Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't equate "does not sin" with behaves perfectly 100% of the time. I believe sin is unbelief. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your savior, you have believed God and the Holy Spirit has come to indwell you. Therefore, since God is "not counting men's sins (2 Corinthians 5:19; Romans 4:8)" against us and our sins and lawless acts He "remembers no more (Hebrews 10:17)," we are without sin from God's point of view. If He held our sins against us, then He could not indwell us.

As for John the Baptist, the passage says, "When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:41)." Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, not necessarily John. Regardless, I believe this means that she was controlled by the Holy Spirit more than having received the Holy Spirit in the sense of being born again since Jesus hadn't risen from the dead yet; having not been born. As for Enoch, the Bible says, "Enoch walked with God, and then he was no more, because God had taken him away (Genesis 5:24)." There are no criteria given here as to what is meant by saying Enoch "walked with God." It is an assumption to say it was Enoch not having sinned. We see many times in the Bible where belief is credited to someone as righteousness. Perhaps, like with Abraham for example, Enoch believed God to the point God took him. But, to assume it was sinless behavior when Enoch was a fallen human being like all of us, is something I don't see supported by the scriptures. Grace and Peace.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I think we can toss Abel and Elijah in the mix here too.
Abel and Enoch were pre-Mosaic Law, so "for where no law is, there is no transgression." (Rom 4:15)
Elijah...Didn't die, but was taken away ala Enoch.
And as you pointed out, John had the Spirit of God from the womb.
I don't think any of the four committed sin.

Paul's Romans 3 writings of "all have committed sin" and "no not one" were quotes of OT writers designed to show the Jews of his day that they too needed the Savior.
Most of the quotes were from Rom. 3 are David's description of those who persecuted him in his flight from Saul, and, arguably, not intended for any one else, past or future. IMHO

Generally speaking, all men sin until they are converted, but God can still do as He pleases to get things done to satisfy prophesy or some other preordained future.
"Whatever is not of faith is sin". Transgression was not imputed to people prior to the Law but that does not mean that they did not sin. If they are descended from Adam, they inherit the sin nature. For sure there are people who are amazingly close to God. But even the elite (Elijah having a meltdown, David's adultery and murder) can sin and fail. John the Baptist had a problem with doubt. He questioned if Jesus was really the Messiah. There is none who is righteous inherently. Except the Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

is an unborn baby without sin? if not, then none of us, including John the Baptist, Enoch and others are without sin, unless you are born of a virgin and conceived of by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Whatever is not of faith is sin". Transgression was not imputed to people prior to the Law but that does not mean that they did not sin. If they are descended from Adam, they inherit the sin nature. For sure there are people who are amazingly close to God. But even the elite (Elijah having a meltdown, David's adultery and murder) can sin and fail. John the Baptist had a problem with doubt. He questioned if Jesus was really the Messiah. There is none who is righteous inherently. Except the Lord Jesus.

And there is a specific reason why Jesus is sinless:

For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. John 6

So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. -- John 8

Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. John 5

The dispute here arises because people's concept of "sin" is nothing but a finite list of "thou shalt nots." Some people's lists are merely longer than others.

But to be sinless is actually to see what the Father does and to do exactly what you see the Father doing, nothing more, nothing less. That is what made Jesus "sinless."

To be sinless is not to have avoided a list of "thou shalt nots." To be sinless is to have perfectly executed the mind of God from birth to death.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God has the imperious authority to decide anyone is righteous. His rules, not ours. However, it's possible Enoch is one of the two prophets who has yet to die.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those killed in the flood were before the law too, yet God killed them all because of their wickedness.
That is a bit of side-tracking here, as we were discussing those who did not die.
But, if wickedness was the reason for their destruction, a lack of wickedness would end up with the possibility of not seeing death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you also realize that many Christians use Romans 3:23; Romans 7:14-23; and 1 John 8:1 to justify a Christian sinning?

The truth is there is a before and after Christ.

I've never heard anyone use those verses to justify a Christian sinning, but only to point out that Christians do sin...without justification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You use Pentecostal jargon; I use Scripture.

There ARE two experiences with the Spirit. Acts 2, and Acts 4. First is for individual power over sin, and the armor of God. These have been born again of God. The second is for boldness and additional gifts for ministry.
I don't agree that it is a "different" manifestation of the Spirit.
But best left to another thread.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The dispute here arises because people's concept of "sin" is nothing but a finite list of "thou shalt nots." Some people's lists are merely longer than others.
But to be sinless is actually to see what the Father does and to do exactly what you see the Father doing, nothing more, nothing less. That is what made Jesus "sinless."
Makes me think of Jesus' command at the end of the sermon on the mount..."Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

To be sinless is not to have avoided a list of "thou shalt nots." To be sinless is to have perfectly executed the mind of God from birth to death.
Or from re-birth to passing.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
When the term "sin" is mentioned in the bible, it is almost always a noun instead of a verb. So in that Hebrews passage, he is saying that Jesus did not have a sinful nature, so he cannot sin (noun), not that he did not sin (verb).

As for Enoch and John the Baptist, they had the sinful nature, meaning they will always sin (as a verb)

I disagree completely.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never heard anyone use those verses to justify a Christian sinning, but only to point out that Christians do sin...without justification.
Apparently you have never told anyone that we CAN live without sin.

Upvote 0