Was Jesus the only person who never sinned?

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So let me get this straight. You believe that a born again believer cannot die spiritually and then come back and live again spiritually via repentance?
No, I don't.
It would be counter to 1 John 3:9's statement of "His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God".
And also refutes Jesus' parables about fig trees and grape vines...one cannot bear the fruit of the other.
If a supposed believer commits a sin, and repents, that will be the start of his walk with Christ and not a continuation of it.

What about the parable of the Prodigal Son?
This parable was spoken to the Jews of Jesus' time, and was meant for them.
Those under the Law had days of atonement every year in order to "return to dear old dad".
For it to apply to fallen Christians implies that the seed of God CAN bear evil fruit.

Rebirth requires the death of the old "self" and the "rebirth" of something not lust driven.
The Jews didn't have that luxury, but we do since Jesus' death and resurrection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand that suicide (in the case where they remain dead) is unforgivable. For it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this, the judgment.

However, I do believe that other sins can be forgiven, and forsaken. Is not 1 John 1:7, 1 John 1:9, and Proverbs 28:13 written to the believer?
Yes, they are, (though there weren't any "believers" around at the time Proverbs was written).
No man can repent after they are dead.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is how one does not sin:

Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.-- John 5

Anything less that that is missing the mark.
I can't disagree with that.
And though we can't "see" what the Father is doing, we do have have His Spirit in us to guide and protect us.
And verses like..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)
Look for the escapes!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is one of the things that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is for. We are reborn with the divine spirit. Ever since I received the Spirit I never pray until I hear what I am to pray for. It is immediately answered. God is in complete control of my prayer life. So in other words it is like what Jesus said. What He did and what I pray both originate with the Father.

But what do you do through every step of every day? Do you only do what you see the Father do?

So many people wonder "What is God's plan for my life," when God actually has every perfect day for every Christian already in His mind. His will for our lives begins, of course, with the Great Commission and each of our roles in it as part of the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't.
It would be counter to 1 John 3:9's statement of "His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God".
And also refutes Jesus' parables about fig trees and grape vines...one cannot bear the fruit of the other.
If a supposed believer commits a sin, and repents, that will be the start of his walk with Christ and not a continuation of it.

This parable was spoken to the Jews of Jesus' time, and was meant for them.
Those under the Law had days of atonement every year in order to "return to dear old dad".
For it to apply to fallen Christians implies that the seed of God CAN bear evil fruit.

Rebirth requires the death of the old "self" and the "rebirth" of something not lust driven.
The Jews didn't have that luxury, but we do since Jesus' death and resurrection.

When the Prodigal Son came home, his father said that his son (who went prodigal) was "dead" and now is "alive again." The father also said that his son was "lost" and he is "found." The words "dead," "alive again," "lost," and "found" are speaking in spiritual terms. The son was dead when he was living in riotous sins with prostitute women, and when he came back home and sought out his father's forgiveness, he receive it. He was dead, and he became alive again. This makes no sense to say these kinds of words if what you believe is true in the fact that no believer can die spiritually again and then come back to the saving of their soul again via repentance.

Also, James 5:19-20 also confirms this truth, as well.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
But what do you do through every step of every day? Do you only do what you see the Father do?

So many people wonder "What is God's plan for my life," when God actually has every perfect day for every Christian already in His mind. His will for our lives begins, of course, with the Great Commission and each of our roles in it as part of the Body of Christ.

I am either praying (only when told) or praising Him. Being thankful is a means of praise. Acknowledging His creation is a great start for anyone wanting to hear His voice. The wonderful thing about being on Christian forums over the years is daily looking up scriptures so often you know them by heart.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When the Prodigal Son came home, his father said that his son (who went prodigal) was "dead" and now is "alive again." The father also said that his son was "lost" and he is "found." The words "dead," "alive again," "lost," and "found" are speaking in spiritual terms. The son was dead when he was living in riotous sins with prostitute women, and when he came back home and sought out his father's forgiveness, he receive it. He was dead, and he became alive again. This makes no sense to say these kinds of words if what you believe is true in the fact that no believer can die spiritually again and then come back to the saving of their soul again via repentance.

Also, James 5:19-20 also confirms this truth, as well.
If a man commits a sin, it shows he was not born of God. He was "dead".
His prior life as a Christian was a fraud. His repentance from sin was a lie to God. He had not crucified the flesh, with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24)

Should he truly repent of all sin, permanently, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins, then he can call himself a Christian.
The baptism will kill the old man and he will be "raised with Christ to walk in newness of life". (Rom 6:3-7)
Then he will be alive.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If a man commits a sin, it shows he was not born of God. He was "dead".
His prior life as a Christian was a fraud. His repentance from sin was a lie to God. He had not crucified the flesh, with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24)

Should he truly repent of all sin, permanently, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins, then he can call himself a Christian.
The baptism will kill the old man and he will be "raised with Christ to walk in newness of life". (Rom 6:3-7)
Then he will be alive.

But in the Parable of the Prodigal Son: What did the father mean when he said his son was "dead" and he is "alive again"? To me, it is clear that he was speaking in spiritual terms. How do you explain these words?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But in the Parable of the Prodigal Son: What did the father mean when he said his son was "dead" and he is "alive again"? To me, it is clear that he was speaking in spiritual terms. How do you explain these words?
He was considered alive while he resided with his father, but his departure constituted his death.
When he returned, he was considered alive...again.
We are alive until our first sin, but then dead in trespasses and sin until our rebirth.
Then we are alive...again, but to God this time.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He was considered alive while he resided with his father, but his departure constituted his death.
When he returned, he was considered alive...again.
We are alive until our first sin, but then dead in trespasses and sin until our rebirth.
Then we are alive...again, but to God this time.

I see the Parable as saying that we were alive to GOD when we were a baby (saved by Christ's sacrifice), but when we first sinned, we died spiritually. We can only be restored and become alive again spiritually by accepting Jesus as our Savior. This proves that it was "sin" that separated us from GOD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see the Parable as saying that we were alive to GOD when we were a baby (saved by Christ's sacrifice), but when we first sinned, we died spiritually. We can only be restored and become alive again spiritually by accepting Jesus as our Savior. This proves that it was "sin" that separated us from GOD.
I see it as we were alive, as pre-sinning babies, then dead in trespasses and sins, then made alive in Christ after doing the things related to conversion.
If a man commits a sin after a supposed conversion, it wasn't a conversion...and the sin proves it.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
---SE--- My parents sent me to a private Catholic elementary school. I had forgotten but it was explained as part of the immaculate conception as they didn't want to discuss Mary's womb that much. I could be wrong, but around fifth or sixth grade, we thought she was a virgin and it was a virginal birth. We didn't learn about it being cleansing of sin or maybe I was out that day. Anyway, I wasn't baptized as Catholic and went to public school after we moved for seventh grade.

What I remember is praying to the statue of Mary a lot and her taking the long, long, long walks to Nazareth and back. As an adult, the IC is difficult to conceptualize. Do we think of ourselves as being holy or not holy? It may be a slight difference, but we think of ourselves as sinners or not sinners, i.e. forgiven. This does not make us holy though. Only Jesus can do that.

Thus, the body is the temple of our spirit, but we are not holy.

For us literal Bible readers, Jesus doesn't like sin, but seems to have a better tolerance for it than his Father. The Father left this universe because of Adam's sin. He likes holy and is sickened by sin, especially Adam disobeying his one rule. Thus, we can only reach the Father through Jesus who will cleanse all of our sins when the time comes and we become holy. That includes his Earth-born mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
---SE--- My parents sent me to a private Catholic elementary school. I had forgotten but it was explained as part of the immaculate conception as they didn't want to discuss Mary's womb that much. I could be wrong, but around fifth or sixth grade, we thought she was a virgin and it was a virginal birth. We didn't learn about it being cleansing of sin or maybe I was out that day. Anyway, I wasn't baptized as Catholic and went to public school after we moved for seventh grade.

What I remember is praying to the statue of Mary a lot and her taking the long, long, long walks to Nazareth and back. As an adult, the IC is difficult to conceptualize. Do we think of ourselves as being holy or not holy? It may be a slight difference, but we think of ourselves as sinners or not sinners, i.e. forgiven. This does not make us holy though. Only Jesus can do that.

Thus, the body is the temple of our spirit, but we are not holy.

For us literal Bible readers, Jesus doesn't like sin, but seems to have a better tolerance for it than his Father. The Father left this universe because of Adam's sin. He likes holy and is sickened by sin, especially Adam disobeying his one rule. Thus, we can only reach the Father through Jesus who will cleanse all of our sins when the time comes and we become holy. That includes his Earth-born mother.
A lot of Marian doctrines can be challenging at first.

But, coming at it from an entire life spent in the Protestant world, what I found was that the Marian doctrines are so logically flawless as to be unassailable. I had thought they would give me greater challenges than they ultimately did.

The Marian doctrines are rather intersectional, as I said in some other post directed at somebody else. Our Lady's Immaculate Conception is inseparable from her Perpetual Virginity. Recognizing that those doctrines are inextricably linked was how I came to believe in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A lot of Marian doctrines can be challenging at first.

But, coming at it from an entire life spent in the Protestant world, what I found was that the Marian doctrines are so logically flawless as to be unassailable. I had thought they would give me greater challenges than they ultimately did.

The Marian doctrines are rather intersectional, as I said in some other post directed at somebody else. Our Lady's Immaculate Conception is inseparable from her Perpetual Virginity. Recognizing that those doctrines are inextricably linked was how I came to believe in them.

Those are new. I've never heard of Marian doctrines nor Perpetual Virginity. Didn't she consummate her marriage to Joseph?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What about John the Baptist. He received the Holy Spirit while in Elizabeth's womb.

Sinner.

And what about Enoch who walked with God, and He took him.

Sinner.

Were John the Baptist and Enoch considered sinners by God, and did they ever sin while on earth?

Yes.

As far as Enoch is concerned the vague language used in Genesis led some to speculate that Enoch was assumed directly by God into heaven without ever tasting death. The text never says this, so no argument for it can be made beyond pure speculation.

With St. John the Baptist we can actually see how he faltered, it's recorded in the Gospels. Even after John had baptized Jesus and declared, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world" John is imprisoned by Herod, and John's faith wavers, so he sends some of his disciples to ask Jesus, "Are you the one we have been looking for, or should we find another?" to which Jesus famously responded, "Come and see."

At no point does Scripture describe any individual, other than Jesus, as being sinless.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Sinner.

Sinner.

Yes.

As far as Enoch is concerned the vague language used in Genesis led some to speculate that Enoch was assumed directly by God into heaven without ever tasting death. The text never says this, so no argument for it can be made beyond pure speculation.

With St. John the Baptist we can actually see how he faltered, it's recorded in the Gospels. Even after John had baptized Jesus and declared, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world" John is imprisoned by Herod, and John's faith wavers, so he sends some of his disciples to ask Jesus, "Are you the one we have been looking for, or should we find another?" to which Jesus famously responded, "Come and see."

At no point does Scripture describe any individual, other than Jesus, as being sinless.

-CryptoLutheran

Asking a question for clarification is not a sin. We are told to ask.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don’t think this is Biblical that we were alive in God until our first sin.

There is a verse, can’t think of it offhand but if you request it I will track it down and post, that says we are sinful from before we are born.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Asking a question for clarification is not a sin. We are told to ask.

This is the John who lept for joy in Elizabeth's womb.
This is the John who declared "Behold the Lamb of God."
This is also the John who, when things were getting dicey, doubted.

John wavered.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
This is the John who lept for joy in Elizabeth's womb.
This is the John who declared "Behold the Lamb of God."
This is also the John who, when things were getting dicey, doubted.

John wavered.

-CryptoLutheran

Jesus, Himself, asked a question. Didn't he also have the Holy Spirit?

41 And He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and prayed, 42 saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.”

Upvote 0