Was Jesus the only person who never sinned?

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please interpret 1 John 3:9. If someone doesn't practice murder, do they even commit it once?

Never met one who wasn't a sinner.

I think Paul was the one that said, if we think no sin is in us, we are a liar.
Not a direct bible quote.
Memory test.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You use Pentecostal jargon; I use Scripture. There ARE two experiences with the Spirit. Acts 2, and Acts 4. First is for individual power over sin, and the armor of God. These have been born again of God. The second is for boldness and additional gifts for ministry.
You are trashing a very important Scriptural doctrine
when you claim that BACs (who have received the Holy Spirit inside) ...
actually received "the baptism with the Holy Spirit", which is referred to in
Matthew 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33, Acts 1:4-8, Acts 11:15-17.
This baptism allows people to receive one or more of the 9 spiritual "power" gifts,
which are described in 1 Corinthians 12.

• Haha
Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I know that Jesus was tempted in every way, yet did not sin. From conception He had the seed of the Father. Thus He was born of God.

1 John 3:9
9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

This means those that receive the baptism of the Spirit have the "seed of God" in them. But there are two others I'm curious about.

What about John the Baptist. He received the Holy Spirit while in Elizabeth's womb.

And what about Enoch who walked with God, and He took him.

Were John the Baptist and Enoch considered sinners by God, and did they ever sin while on earth?
There's two other people who didn't sin, The Holy Spirit, and The Father.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you also realize that many Christians use Romans 3:23; Romans 7:14-23; and 1 John 8:1 to justify a Christian sinning?

The truth is there is a before and after Christ.

Can you elaborate please? I don’t quite understand what you mean.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While Scripture does not say exactly whether Enoch or John the Baptist were sinless, it is a safe assumption that they were not without any kind of sin because Romans 3:23 says all have sinned and have come short of the glory of God. That said, those who propose that Enoch and John the Baptist were no worse off than most other sinners are misinformed on what the Scriptures say. The Scriptures say this about Enoch:

14 "And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage." (Jude 1:14-16).

It would kind of strange that Enoch would be just as ungodly as those he prophesied against.
As for John the Baptist: Jesus praised him as being the greatest of all the Old Testament prophets (Luke 7:28). If John was greater than Enoch as far as being a prophet, then that would mean John was a righteous man, as well.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In Revelation 14:3-5: The 144,000 are said to be without fault before the throne of God. This is in context to their behavior (if one were to carefully re-read this passage).

Zecharias and Elisabeth were said to be righteous before God, walking after the commandments and ordinances being blameless.

"And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless." (Luke 1:6).

No doubt many will see verses like these and try to throw down the Greek card, or come up with some other clever explanation to deny what these verses say plainly (because they don't like what they say).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I know that Jesus was tempted in every way, yet did not sin. From conception He had the seed of the Father. Thus He was born of God.

9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

This means those that receive the baptism of the Spirit have the "seed of God" in them. But there are two others I'm curious about.

What about John the Baptist. He received the Holy Spirit while in Elizabeth's womb.

Were John the Baptist and Enoch considered sinners by God, and did they ever sin while on earth?
Jesus did not have the stain of sin on him, which is why he had to be born of a virgin. John the Baptist and Enoch both had the stain of Adam on them, as they were fathered by other men.

Upvote 0

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's two other people who didn't sin, The Holy Spirit, and The Father.
I think he's talking about a physical person, as in flesh and blood. Jesus was the only human being who was able to be perfect, since He was also God.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Never met one who wasn't a sinner.

I think Paul was the one that said, if we think no sin is in us, we are a liar.
Not a direct bible quote.
Memory test.

M-Bob

No, Paul didn't write 1 John 1:8. Paul wrote we are dead to sin, and John wrote a Christian cannot sin. They are on the same page.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
You are trashing a very important Scriptural doctrine
when you claim that BACs (who have received the Holy Spirit inside) ...
actually received "the baptism with the Holy Spirit", which is referred to in
Matthew 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33, Acts 1:4-8, Acts 11:15-17.
This baptism allows people to receive one or more of the 9 spiritual "power" gifts,
which are described in 1 Corinthians 12.

BC, I consider you a friend and peer. We are on the same page, just don't label things the same. I love you, but you do need to mature some fruit, because you can get up in my face.

Let me ask you a serious question. When a person first receives Christ, are they born again of the Spirit? If not, what evidence is there they've received Christ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus did not have the stain of sin on him, which is why he had to be born of a virgin. John the Baptist and Enoch both had the stain of Adam on them, as they were fathered by other men.

Christians are born with the "stain of Adam" but when they are cleansed of all sin, and given the Holy Spirit which is the seed of the Father, 1 John 3:9 says they cannot sin, (their sins have been taken away vs. 5). Do you believe John or have another interpretation. First read John 8:34-36. In those verses are we being freed from sin or the law, or the penalty of committing sin we've been given no power over?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We are born INTO a sin condition where we do not walk alonside God in Paradise.
THIS is not Paradise. We are born into a sin condition.

Psalm 51:5
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Romans 5:12
Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—

Psalm 58:3
The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
We are born INTO a sin condition where we do not walk alonside God in Paradise.
THIS is not Paradise. We are born into a sin condition.

Psalm 51:5
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Romans 5:12
Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—

Psalm 58:3
The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies.

Yes, every one of us has sinned. BUT when one is born again, what does that mean to you? Are we sinners, or children of God?

Upvote 0