Vultures...Pigs...Crabs...Shellfish...Sharks...What Do They Have in Common?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you read Peter's vision in CONTEXT, it had ZERO to do with FOOD and 100% to do with RACE. Peter was a RACIST. God was trying to convince Peter that people from other RACES were His people too, the JEWS were NOT HIS ONLY PEOPLE. That is what that entire dream is about. That is why later on, you never hear Peter or the Apostles going about teaching that since Peter had that dream, everyone was FREE TO EAT ANYTHING they laid their hands on.

Yeah, no. "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat." It couldn't be more explicit. Whether Peter was prejudiced against Gentiles, it's easy to think he might have been. If that was the point then it should have been a sheet full of Gentiles that said, "Get up, Peter, and quit being so racist. Love these people."

Seriously, your argument comes across as ad hoc, i.e. devised simply to save your position. I get it, but it doesn't really work. The easiest explanation for the vision is that God intended to communicate that those foods are not unclean.

Let's face it, that vision is just one instance of a complete undoing of the assumptions of 1st century Judeans. They probably didn't even think God loved Gentiles, but God so loved the world. They didn't think there was hope for Gentiles, but Christ came to give all people hope. They definitely assumed some were sinners and others righteous, but all have fallen short. The sheet vision was just the last straw in a huge undoing in the framework through which a 1st century Judean would have seen the world..

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I figured it would. If you were to put a bass next to a carp and clean them side by side, I think you would be able to notice a difference between the two right away, as far as cleanliness is concerned; sight, smell, taste.

My father used to bow hunt carp along the rivers and leave them for the cows to eat, but he (being non-religious at the time) wouldn't eat them. He fished often and would give the carp he caught to other fishermen who wanted them and ate them.

If YHWH called them clean; then they are clean in my book. I've eaten carp. I liked it; but I like oily fish that many people don't like.

Before I came to the truth; I used to eat catfish. It's light, fluffy, looks, smells, and tastes great; so clearly the look, smell, and taste test is not Yah's test.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I figured it would. If you were to put a bass next to a carp and clean them side by side, I think you would be able to notice a difference between the two right away, as far as cleanliness is concerned; sight, smell, taste.

My father used to bow hunt carp along the rivers and leave them for the cows to eat, but he (being non-religious at the time) wouldn't eat them. He fished often and would give the carp he caught to other fishermen who wanted them and ate them.

EDIT: My point being... we have Leviticus 11, but we also have senses that tell us that maybe eating something, even though it's considered clean, isn't necessarily a good idea.
I think you probably meant that your father left the carp along the river for the CROWS not the COWS, right? COWS don't eat dead animals :)

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
If YHWH called them clean; then they are clean in my book. I've eaten carp. I liked it; but I like oily fish that many people don't like.

Before I came to the truth; I used to eat catfish. It's light, fluffy, looks, smells, and tastes great; so clearly the look, smell, and taste test is not Yah's test.

Oh I've had plenty of catfish in my lifetime. I spent 30 years away from the faith. I loved me some cajun blackened catfish. And don't get me started on pork chops and bacon. lol

If I had to, to survive, I would eat carp, if it was all that I could catch. Just because meat is deemed clean doesn't mean it should be a part of our diet. God allows us to eat meat, yes... but we were vegetarians from the start.

If I were to make a point, it would be this. We can choose to eat what we want and decide what is most important to us. What is important to our faith, what tastes good, what pleases God, etc. It's up to each of us to come to those things on our own. When I ate meat, I chose to consider carp as unclean; probably because I was raised that way. To each their own.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, no. "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat." It couldn't be more explicit.

Apparently you didn't read my argument in the link in Post #13.

It's quite explicit.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,672,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The SDAs aren't the only ones who follow YHWH's word. Yahshua was not a SDA.
I know you are messianic but this is SDA stuff and it nonsense as far as I’m concerned. If that is anyone’s discipline, that’s fine but it does not mean other Christians do not follow God’s Word. We are no longer under OT Law. Scripture as a whole makes that quite clear.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This seems to be all SDA stuff.
Just so you know, I'm not affiliated with the SDA Church. I was born and raised SDA, but the church has become so worldly, there is little difference between the church and the world...so I removed my name over 40 years ago. Doctrinally, I believe they are the closest to the TRUTH. But I'm not affiliated with the SDA organization of today, at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I think you probably meant that your father left the carp along the river for the CROWS not the COWS, right? COWS don't eat dead animals :)

No, I meant cows. Cows eat fish, surprisingly. My father isn't alive to ask if he made a mistake in saying cows, so... I can't verify it now. lol I am pretty sure he said and meant cows.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,672,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just so you know, I'm not affiliated with the SDA Church. I was born and raised SDA, but the church has become so worldly, there is little difference between the church and the world...so I removed my name over 40 years ago. Doctrinally, I believe they are the closest to the TRUTH. But I'm not affiliated with the SDA organization of today, at all.
You just practice on your own. Lots of people do that these days.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,672,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too bad others don't join in more....this shouldn't be no more an SDA topic than the CROSS is a Christian topic.
Seems the topic is being inserted with a preferred theology. You have a supplement site as your home page, etc. The video was SDA. Call me crazy! Lol

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Apparently you didn't read my argument in the link in Post #13.

It's quite explicit.

I just read it. Your making an argument from silence to reject the explicit statement of the vision. Do we know what Peter ate? Perhaps he was gnawing on a pork rib when Paul called him out for acting like he didn't eat with Gentiles. We don't know.

What you need is an argument from the NT which says Jesus followers should follow Jewish dietary laws. Do we have that? I'm pretty sure the Jerusalem council settled that question. Nonethless, If you can locate such a passage, then that would put the vision in a different light. As it stands, your argument is based on silence and presumption.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems the topic is being inserted with a preferred theology. You have a supplement site as your home page, etc. The video was SDA. Call me crazy! Lol
I didn't post that video, and HARK isn't a SDA either. Personally, I'm NOT A FAN of Walter Veith, the guy on the video....I think he does far more damage than good to the TRUTH.

Yes, I do have a supplement site as my homepage...I'm an Herbalist and that is how I make a living :) You don't have a problem with that, do you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,672,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't post that video, and HARK isn't a SDA either. Personally, I'm NOT A FAN of Walter Veith, the guy on the video....I think he does far more damage than good to the TRUTH.

Yes, I do have a supplement site as my homepage...I'm an Herbalist and that is how I make a living :) You don't have a problem with that, do you?
Huh? Why should I? I explained in this very thread why I took issue with what was implied in this thread.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I know you are messianic but this is SDA stuff and it nonsense as far as I’m concerned. If that is anyone’s discipline, that’s fine but it does not mean other Christians do not follow God’s Word. We are no longer under OT Law. Scripture as a whole makes that quite clear.

Those who follow Yahshua aren't under the law; because they are following the law in Yahshua's footsteps.

Yahshua make it clear that we are to follow the law.

(CLV) Mt 5:18
For verily, I am saying to you, Till heaven and earth should be passing by, one iota or one serif may by no means be passing by from the law till all should be occurring.

(CLV) Mt 5:19
"Whosoever, then, should be annulling one of the least of these precepts, and should be teaching men thus, the least in the kingdom of the heavens shall he be called. Yet whoever should be doing and teaching them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of the heavens.

(CLV) Mt 5:20
For I am saying to you that, if ever your righteousness (keeping the law) should not be superabounding more than that of the scribes and Pharisees, by no means may you be entering into the kingdom of the heavens.

Paul (the suspected source of where one might come to the conclusion that the law was abolished, in his letters that can be difficult to understand.) confirms Yahshua's words; not that Yahshua needed confirmation from Paul anyway.

(CLV) Ro 3:31
Are we, then, nullifying law through faith? May it not be coming to that! Nay, we are sustaining law.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I just read it. Your making an argument from silence to reject the explicit statement of the vision. Do we know what Peter ate? Perhaps he was gnawing on a pork rib when Paul called him out for acting like he didn't eat with Gentiles. We don't know.

Apparently you didn't read it. Peter didn't stop off for a Mc'Pork burger. Peter said NO,NO,, and a final NO. This story doesn't end with green eggs and ham.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Apparently you didn't read it. Peter didn't stop off for a Mc'Pork burger. Peter said NO,NO,, and a final NO. This story doesn't end with green eggs and ham.

What did he eat, when he finally ate?

Upvote 0