Vultures...Pigs...Crabs...Shellfish...Sharks...What Do They Have in Common?

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vultures...Pigs...Crabs...Shellfish...Sharks...
What Do They Have in Common?
Vultures.jpeg

We took our usual Sabbath morning walk down at the Lake this morning and I don't think we ever saw as many VULTURES as we did this morning. They were everywhere! To most of us, Vultures are really ugly birds...but...I'm really thankful for them, as they serve a big purpose in this world. Without the Vultures, the beaches would be littered with stinky, rotten, repulsive looking carcasses of dead fish everywhere. Thankfully, the Vultures do the job that God designed them to do ~ to clean up the earth....

Vultures2.jpeg

That is the job of all the creatures mentioned above...the Pig, the Crab, the Carp, the Shellfish, Sharks and more...they are NATURE'S GARBAGE CLEANER-UPPERS....God put them here for that very purpose.....

They were never put here for people to eat them. In FACT, God clearly says in the Bible, in Leviticus 11, that we shouldn't eat any of these creatures...they are in the UNCLEAN CATEGORY.

And don't fall for the line that the Health Laws that God gave us in Leviticus 11 were written for the JEWS. At the time they were written, there were no Jews ;)...they were Israelites ;). They were GOD'S PEOPLE at THAT TIME. Are not you and I GOD'S PEOPLE at THIS TIME??? The same rules He made for them, have been passed on to us, for the same purpose ~ to KEEP US HEALTHY :).

I mean, think about ~ WHO in their right mind want want to eat a GARBAGE DISPOSAL or a VACCUM CLEANER BAG??? But that is EXACTLY what these creatures are :)

Last edited:

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
This brought something to mind. (Not to take away from the subject, but to add emphasis to it.)

In Revelation 19, we see that an angel calls the birds of the earth to gather for a feast.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.
At the second coming, the birds will clean up the bodies of the wicked dead. The thought struck me that the wicked (unclean) will be consumed by the birds (also unclean). Even in prophecy, we see reasons why unclean animals should not be eaten, and that God's cleaners survive after man, at least long enough to do the job they were created for.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some garbage eaters taste really good. Bacon garbage eaters, for instance. Fried soft-shell crab? Forget it, give me a whole plate. Mud bugs? They are so, so good. I've never tried vultures, but if they tasted good, and aren't poisonous, why not?

I get that eating too much pork is unhealthy. But in moderation, not a problem.

They were never put here for people to eat them

What about Peter's vision of the sheet with all the animals he thought he shouldn't eat? How do you navigate around that?

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Where does scripture say that we can't eat carp? Are you thinking of catfish?

Concerning carp. While they would be classified as "clean", because they have scales and fins, they have a mud vein.

Google:

Although carp are definitely good to eat, there are several things you will want to keep in mind before doing so. For starters, remember that the taste of the carp – as with many species of fish – depends on what they have been eating. Eat carp out of a muddy river bottom, and it's going to taste like mud.

A bottom feeder is an aquatic animal that feeds on or near the bottom of a body of water. ... Examples of bottom feeding fish species groups are flatfish (halibut, flounder, plaice, sole), eels, cod, haddock, bass, grouper, carp, bream (snapper) and some species of catfish and shark.
I was raised not to eat carp, by my mother who considered them unclean (because above) and by my father, a fisherman, who said they weren't good eating anyway. The carp in this neck of the woods tend to be nasty and few people eat them. Being a bottom feeder that has a mud vein (and often tastes terrible), it's just common sense not to eat carp, even though they meet the requirements for clean meat.

It is because of these reasons that, in my own experience, my denomination chooses not to eat them.

For the uninitiated (the reader), this is the language for unclean seafood:

Leviticus 11:9-12 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.​

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Vultures...Pigs...Crabs...Carp...Shellfish...Sharks...
What Do They Have in Common?
View attachment 300574
We took our usual Sabbath morning walk down at the Lake this morning and I don't think we ever saw as many VULTURES as we did this morning. They were everywhere! To most of us, Vultures are really ugly birds...but...I'm really thankful for them, as they serve a big purpose in this world. Without the Vultures, the beaches would be littered with stinky, rotten, repulsive looking carcasses of dead fish everywhere. Thankfully, the Vultures do the job that God designed them to do ~ to clean up the earth....

View attachment 300575

That is the job of all the creatures mentioned above...the Pig, the Crab, the Carp, the Shellfish, Sharks and more...they are NATURE'S GARBAGE CLEANER-UPPERS....God put them here for that very purpose.....

They were never put here for people to eat them. In FACT, God clearly says in the Bible, in Leviticus 11, that we shouldn't eat any of these creatures...they are in the UNCLEAN CATEGORY.

And don't fall for the line that the Health Laws that God gave us in Leviticus 11 were written for the JEWS. At the time they were written, there were no Jews ;)...they were Israelites ;). They were GOD'S PEOPLE at THAT TIME. Are not you and I GOD'S PEOPLE at THIS TIME??? The same rules He made for them, have been passed on to us, for the same purpose ~ to KEEP US HEALTHY :).

I mean, think about ~ WHO in their right mind want want to eat a GARBAGE DISPOSAL or a VACCUM CLEANER BAG??? But that is EXACTLY what these creatures are :)

When did you convert to Judaism (or are you a naturally-born Jew)?

Leviticus is Old Covenant law; it has no application to Christian lives.

God included all the so-called "unclean" animals among those He saved in the arc when the earth was flooded. Why did He do that?

Acts 10:9-15, "About noon the next day, while they were on their way and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted to eat, but while they were preparing the meal, a trance came over him. He saw heaven opened and an object something like a large sheet descending, being let down to earth by its four corners. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals and reptiles of the earth and wild birds. Then a voice said to him, “Get up, Peter; slaughter and eat!” But Peter said, “Certainly not, Lord, for I have never eaten anything defiled and ritually unclean!” The voice spoke to him again, a second time, “What God has made clean, you must not consider ritually unclean!”

Matthew 15:10-11, "Then he called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. What defiles a person is not what goes into the mouth; it is what comes out of the mouth that defiles a person.”

There are no dietary restrictions in the New Covenant. You can go on and on about vultures, pigs, etc. but God created them, saved them in the ark, and allowed them to live and flourish from creation until now.

Adhering to OT law does nothing to make you righteous, save you, or whatever. If you are a Christian you are under grace, not under law. Go ahead, enjoy some bacon, lobster, or whatever suits you fancy.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peter’s Vision
9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

17 While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Corneliusfound out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. 18 They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

19 While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three men are looking for you. 20 So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.”

21 Peter went down and said to the men, “I’m the one you’re looking for. Why have you come?”

22 The men replied, “We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say.” 23 Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.

Acts 10:9-23

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
A bottom feeder is an aquatic animal that feeds on or near the bottom of a body of water. ... Examples of bottom feeding fish species groups are flatfish (halibut, flounder, plaice, sole), eels, cod, haddock, bass, grouper, carp, bream (snapper) and some species of catfish and shark.
I was raised not to eat carp, by my mother who considered them unclean (because above) and by my father, a fisherman, who said they weren't good eating anyway. The carp in this neck of the woods tend to be nasty and few people eat them. Being a bottom feeder that has a mud vein (and often tastes terrible), it's just common sense not to eat carp, even though they meet the requirements for clean meat.

It is because of these reasons that, in my own experience, my denomination chooses not to eat them.

Does your denomination reject all of the rest of the fish on this list?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
When did you convert to Judaism (or are you a naturally-born Jew)?

These instructions are for Israel, in other words, all of Yah's people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where does scripture say that we can't eat carp? Are you thinking of catfish?
I hardly know one fish from another, Hark, but as I was researching this before I posted this morning, this site had a list of some of the "unclean" sea creatures ~Bottom feeder - Wikipedia

I know Leviticus 11 says that in order for a fish to be "CLEAN", it must have BOTH FINS & SCALES. Does the Carp have both?

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about Peter's vision of the sheet with all the animals he thought he shouldn't eat? How do you navigate around that?
If you read Peter's vision in CONTEXT, it had ZERO to do with FOOD and 100% to do with RACE. Peter was a RACIST. God was trying to convince Peter that people from other RACES were His people too, the JEWS were NOT HIS ONLY PEOPLE. That is what that entire dream is about. That is why later on, you never hear Peter or the Apostles going about teaching that since Peter had that dream, everyone was FREE TO EAT ANYTHING they laid their hands on.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Peter’s Vision
9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

17 While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Corneliusfound out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. 18 They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

19 While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three men are looking for you. 20 So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.”

21 Peter went down and said to the men, “I’m the one you’re looking for. Why have you come?”

22 The men replied, “We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say.” 23 Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.

Acts 10:9-23

Peter's Vision

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, then I guess the website is wrong :) As I said, I know little about fish...have never tasted a bite of any kind of meat in my life :). Thanks for setting the record straight...I'll adjust the post. :)

PS: Doesn't look like I can take CARP out of the title. If you can do that Hark, feel free. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Does your denomination reject all of the rest of the fish on this list?

Not that I'm aware of. The same rules apply... scales and fins (eels, catfish, sharks don't have scales). It's just the obvious cleanliness of the fish is taken into account. Truth be told, in my own state, we're only supposed to eat something like one fish a week, because of pollutants. A good reason not to eat fish at all.

I'm vegetarian, so this no longer applies to me. If I were still eating meat, I would mostly stick with local fish varieties like bluegill, bass, walleye and crappie. I've eaten plenty of those in my lifetime.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

I'm vegetarian, so this no longer applies to me. If I were still eating meat, I would mostly stick with local fish varieties like bluegill, bass, walleye and crappie.

One of the fish that jumped out at me on your list, and the reason for the inquiry, was bass.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Can you highlight some of the main points? No offense, I'm not watching a 50 minute video.

Dr. Veith outlines the toxicity of unclean animals, and the physical reasons why they are toxic.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
One of the fish that jumped out at me on your list, and the reason for the inquiry, was bass.

Yes, I figured it would. If you were to put a bass next to a carp and clean them side by side, I think you would be able to notice a difference between the two right away, as far as cleanliness is concerned; sight, smell, taste.

My father used to bow hunt carp along the rivers and leave them for the cows to eat, but he (being non-religious at the time) wouldn't eat them. He fished often and would give the carp he caught to other fishermen who wanted them and ate them.

EDIT: My point being... we have Leviticus 11, but we also have senses that tell us that maybe eating something, even though it's considered clean, isn't necessarily a good idea.

Upvote 0