Veteran
Jun 14, 2004
Virginia
✟17,934.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Virginia lawmakers meeting on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol killed legislation creating a commission to oversee the state's participation in the national commemoration of the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth.

For the full story:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...SITE=VAHAR&SECTION=NORTHEAST&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Also from the article: "Robert Lamb of Richmond, a lawyer and a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, told the committee that supporters of a Virginia celebration of Lincoln's birth suffer from "historical myopia and amnesia."
"He sent armies into Virginia to lay waste to our land," said Lamb. He said Marsh's bill should be amended to replace the Lincoln commemoration with a June 3, 2008, celebration of the 200th birthday of Confederate President Jefferson Davis."

momalle1

Veteran
Sep 27, 2005
✟10,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am ashamed to say that I live in Virginia. Pretty unbelievable, looks like some folks want to keep fighting the Civil War (or as it is known around here, the "War between the States").
I thought it was the war of northern aggression!

Seriously, I have met many great people from the south, including Virginia and have never personally met anyone who still held a grudge.

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm sick of political correctness and sanitized history.

The fact is, the South had some legitimate grievances against the North. The South also supported slavery, which was of course reprehensible.

History should be told as it happened. The South should mark its history without censorship...the noble and the base, the good and the evil, the refined and the brutal. Both Lincoln and the Confederate president should be celebrated, even as we note without aversion or whitewashing the foibles of both. Both are part of our history. When we whitewash the sins of history, we do ourselves and the past a disservice, and rob future generations of the chance to learn the full, rich heritage of this Republic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have a problem with Virginia doing what it wants. States' Rights, and all that.

I absolutely agree, and for those of us who are not Virginians it is none of our business what that state decides to do. Speaking of States' Rights-that is what the war was fought over.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He said Marsh's bill should be amended to replace the Lincoln commemoration with a June 3, 2008, celebration of the 200th birthday of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

I like that idea. :clap: Jeff Davis was an honourable man, and an American patriot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
He said Marsh's bill should be amended to replace the Lincoln commemoration with a June 3, 2008, celebration of the 200th birthday of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

I like that idea. :clap: Jeff Davis was an honourable man, and an American patriot.
you might make a case for him being honourable, but it is hard to call the man a patriot when he led a movement to leave the u.s. behind and create a new country. very difficult to characterize that as patriotism, even if you support the ideas that the movement personified.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Virginia lawmakers meeting on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol killed legislation creating a commission to oversee the state's participation in the national commemoration of the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth.

For the full story:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...SITE=VAHAR&SECTION=NORTHEAST&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Also from the article: "Robert Lamb of Richmond, a lawyer and a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, told the committee that supporters of a Virginia celebration of Lincoln's birth suffer from "historical myopia and amnesia."
"He sent armies into Virginia to lay waste to our land," said Lamb. He said Marsh's bill should be amended to replace the Lincoln commemoration with a June 3, 2008, celebration of the 200th birthday of Confederate President Jefferson Davis."
Celebrate Jeff Davis' birthday? But I thought it was unamerican to celebrate traitors?

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

For the full story:

I think this is good news. Lincoln was a despot.

Deo Vindice,
Kenith

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Celebrate Jeff Davis' birthday? But I thought it was unamerican to celebrate traitors?
Was Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, Adams, etc... traitors? I say no. Our British friends would likely say yes.

What about Wallace and Bruce? The Scots would say no, while English might say yes.

Was Jefferson Davis a traitor? I am Southron and I think he was, like Washington and Henry, a patriot. Northern folk think differently.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Upvote 0