• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Very thorough Aspie quiz.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting- my parents were fairly distant and I have learned to be completely self-sufficient without them since I was in my teens. If they would've found out back then, they just would have lived in denial anyways.

Our son is now 19 and has PDD-NOS (he is basically autistic but doesn't fit DSM-IV criteria) and needs assistance from us here at home. To this day, my mom still says he is just immature. :o

It turns out, my therapist had me dx'd with the same thing as your son, all along. I have not undergone formal testing for an official Aspie diagnosis, and I have now decided not to. The conclusion he and I reached is that the main issue is, "Here are my symptoms, and these are the things I need to do to manage them." It makes no difference what label is put on it, just do what I need to do.

ETA: By the way, it turns out my brother scores within the spectrum as well. He doesn't see it as a problem. Like Sabertooth's melody/harmony analogy, my brother feels that being "diagnosed" autistic is like being "diagnosed" blonde. It is not an illness, merely a trait.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
It makes no difference what label is put on it, just do what I need to do.

Like Sabertooth's melody/harmony analogy, my brother feels that being "diagnosed" autistic is like being "diagnosed" blonde. It is not an illness, merely a trait.

I agree 100% and have decided not to get diagnosed, however... I am soooo glad that I did the research I did on my own, and for the input of you good folks on this forum, to help me realize how my brain works, and doesn't work. So that I DO know what to do. Before that I didn't even know I was "blonde" so to speak. It's just amazing to find that basically every problem in my life is tied together - it's all the same thing! Not being able to talk or connect at church, and not being any good with facebook is the same thing - it's "small talk" Like many people here, the research was becoming an obsession. But when I stopped and really thought about something like small talk for example, I noticed consistency across the board. I was consistently not good at it. Where in the past I would deliberately put myself into an awkward social position just because I did not want to give into fear (and fail by the way), I now realize that it doesn't make any more sense deliberately hitting my hand with a hammer because I don't want to be afraid of pain :doh:

Long story short: to diagnose or not is a personal choice, for some it's needed, for some it's not. But for all of us with these questions - the education through both information and shared experiences is absolutely necessary!

BTW - I'm embarrassed to say that I've even made a chart :o
One of the things I've learned is that people with AS give off a vibe when they talk that can make others uncomfortable. When I watch a YouTube video it can be painful to watch. But when they write - it's some of the most amazing, touching, and intelligent stuff on the internet! It's mostly the verbal delivery that is a problem. (That and there is way too much detailed technical content for the average listener, just like this response) And I find the more I try to explain to my wife the less she wants to know about it - so I made a chart! A chart of how my brain works, in a practical sense. When I'm done I'll try to share it. In the same way if there is anything that is weighty that I need to tell her I'll write it out, as short and concise as I can, and post it on our own private facebook group for her to read at her leisure, instead of me bombarding her with it when she walks in the door.

Upvote 0

TalusJumper

May 1, 2011
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the things I've learned is that people with AS give off a vibe when they talk that can make others uncomfortable.

Wow- that about sums it up! I've often noticed how people perceive me vs. others in a conversation- significantly differently. I surmise that they assume that I am mean or angry when I am not.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I watch a YouTube video it can be painful to watch. But when they write - it's some of the most amazing, touching, and intelligent stuff on the internet! It's mostly the verbal delivery that is a problem.

Which explains why I have always been better able to communicate in writing than verbally?

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Which explains why I have always been better able to communicate in writing than verbally?

Possibly.

When someone cool talks they are very laid back, no pressure, happy even. It's nice to be around someone like that, like taking a cool refreshing drink from a stream.

When I talk... It's because there is too much going on, too many feelings, too much info, too many details that it's like getting a drink from a relief valve on the Hoover Dam. There's too much pent-up inside. And it doesn't take much to be too much, so I try to talk to my wife a little less (sum it up) and talk a little slower and softer - just to take the edge off.

But with weighty matters - forget it, I should write whenever I can!

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I surmise that they assume that I am mean or angry when I am not.

Maybe way down deep inside there is some anger?

I know stress gets the best of me even when I don't think I am stressed and I'm not dwelling on bad stuff in my life. But way down deep inside it's there, and it's at work within me without me being aware of it. It comes out in physical ailments.

I say this only because of your Hulk remarks. My parents weren't supportive either and I'm still bothered by it too!

If I'm wrong, or overstepped my boundaries, forgive me! If I'm right consider forgiving those who've hurt you - see if that doesn't change how people perceive you :) (not to sound too mechanical)

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Your Aspie score: 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 99 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits.

Huh, wonder what this means...

Don't know - best of both worlds?

Do you communicate well with others? If so I wouldn't worry about it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TalusJumper

May 1, 2011
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I can start this thread again, I was going to ask if there was any good books on Aspbergers that you recommend? I'm talking with my therapist, but there's only so much online research I can do. :)

The book I can relate the most is Asperger's from the Inside Out by John Michael Carley. There are relationship-specific parts of it I don't agree with but overall, it is more readable and applicable than most books I have seen. Also, since the author is an aspie, it has a first-person perspective to the issues.

I like anything that Dr. Temple Grandin writes, however, it is written from an autistic perspective. Of course, many of the symptoms overlap anyways so are still relevant to aspies.

I have tried to read Dr. Tony Attwoods books but struggle to stay engaged. (Since I have no imagination, I have trouble staying in sync with the book unless it is riveting.) :confused:

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I got a 1 something on the Aspie,with said likely Aspie,low on the Autistic.I forgot the numbers,since I got inpatient doing the test,it seemed long and I had to force my self to finish it.Is that part of the Aspie or something else.

Upvote 0

natesse

Nov 24, 2011
Tampa, FL USA
✟15,144.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
143 of 200. Not bad. Most likely Aspie. I'm not surprised. Had I taken this quiz at 20, I would have scored even MORE Aspie-LOL! I've matured alot, and learned to get past my fears, and not care what people think. I'm actually very social and friendly at 46. My 12 year old Aspie son has a long way to go......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
143 of 200. Not bad. Most likely Aspie. I'm not surprised. Had I taken this quiz at 20, I would have scored even MORE Aspie-LOL! I've matured alot, and learned to get past my fears, and not care what people think. I'm actually very social and friendly at 46. My 12 year old Aspie son has a long way to go......
I think you would have scored pretty much the same. I have taken these tests at several times during my growth as an Aspie and the range of my scores remains constant. I am better able to deal with the difficulties, but the difficulties remain nonetheless. I took the smaller 50 question test and scored 42, 42, 43 , when my wife took it with me and I trusted her judgment, 39, and again, 42. I took the longer test twice and scored the same range both times, about 174. And I've never been in a better place in my life than now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I can start this thread again, I was going to ask if there was any good books on Aspbergers that you recommend? I'm talking with my therapist, but there's only so much online research I can do. :)
The best that I know of as far as information about Asperger's are Tony Attwood's "Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" and John Ortiz has a great book that goes with his lectures. It's available only online and through his website.

Upvote 0

Lime Flower

Proud Wife & Mommy of Eight
Dec 27, 2011
✟15,125.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Your Aspie score: 112 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 116 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

I am diagnosed autistic, but I am a very feminine, maternal, and social person which these types of quizzes do not take into account for.

Upvote 0

BrazilianGenX

Nov 28, 2011
Chicago area, Chicago, IL
Visit site
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for the information. Aspie online quizzes are a good way to start off, but you will also want to make sure you get fully assessed by someone trained in screening for autism/Aspergers before assuming that you have it.

Upvote 0