✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We have had a huge day! :heart:

First of all, Finn was able to go on room air! He has been doing awesome! His saturations have been 70-80. Then, Finn's chest tube is OUT!!! The X-ray this morning showed that it was failing so we had to pull it for safety. So now, it's a waiting game to see how his body handles the fluid but for now, we are soaking up enjoying no chest tube and room air! He is on six hour potassium IV treatments bc his potassium was low so we are still using the PICC line.

Enjoying the last day of Shark Week!!!

Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Finn had a great night. He woke up at 2:30am and couldn't find lamby so he was really upset. He got lamby, snuggles and a bottle and drifted right back off to sleep. Almost bath time and Octonauts!

Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Finn has such a good day. We started off the day with PT/OT and rounds then bananas in the high chair and then Mommy had a meeting with all the doctors in a conference room! We get to make these meetings weekly now in hopes of maximizing communication even more so that we can get this little angel better and home especially now that he is showing such improvement! We then went on a stroller ride, had another bottle, played a little, Mommy went to the Mended Little Hearts meeting and he drifted off to sleep.

So, here is what's going on health wise! Visually, Finn is doing exceptional! He has only TWO wires/tubes on him: pulse ox and PICC line. He periodically has telemetry on when he needs infusions when his potassium is low which is about every other day due to fluid output. Now that the chest tube isn't in, we are doing daily X-rays to monitor fluid. Remember that these X-rays are not nearly as accurate as seeing the chest tube output for yourself. Finn's true signs of reoccurring fluid effusions would be if he needed to go back on oxygen and/or retracting. So we will keep a close eye out on that!

We are going to take advantage of the fact that Finn is almost tube free. That means lots of walks and time outside, physical therapy, eating in the high chair and meeting those milestones!

He is currently eating about 2/3rds of what he needs to have nutrition wise. If he can't make goal in the next few days, we will have to talk about feeding intervention bc supplementing with IV fluids isn't good for his already overload of fluids. But he is improving! IF he needs one last chest tube, chest tube #5, we will have to surgically ligate his thoracic duct which is not a very common surgery anywhere especially on babies and especially on babies with Heterotaxy when you don't even know where the duct is. It's a pretty big deal to have to do that.

My heart tells me that this is finally Finn's opportunity to once and for all be able to live his life. He has been through so much and gone through each day with grace, joy and a huge purpose. He amazes me every day at how much he WANTS to be a normal baby.

So I'll end the night with this, it was a quote on a card that I opened from a prayer warrior this weekend and it's stuck with me: "Just when the caterpillar thought his world was over, he turned into a butterfly."

Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Finn slept so soundly and is still on room air. He woke up and 2am for a bottle and got to hang out at the nurses station now that he is almost wire and tube free! He is currently watching his morning shows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It has been such a crazy day and we have taken a tiny step backwards. Yes, you see an NG feeding tube. Finn ate less yesterday and we cannot keep supplementing with IV fluids bc he is already on fluid overload. The bigger concern was that Finn is the same weight as he was on April 9th so he hasn't gained any weight in a little over three months; not good. So we have to give him assistance to eat. He wants to eat and loves to eat but gets tired so quickly bc of all of the extra fluid he has. He did eat 2 oz of bananas by himself today!

His X-ray looked the same as yesterday but remember these X-rays to view fluid aren't as accurate as seeing chest tube fluid output. Finn's saturations yesterday were in the 80's and now they are in the 70's and he has been working a little harder to breathe. We are concerned that the effusions are coming back once again. But we are giving him every chance he has!!! I told the team it was super important that he be stable on Thursday for beach day! I know he can do it and make it!

So the pit today is the NG tube but the peak was eating a lot of bananas, making even more strides with his PT and OT and smiling! He is sound asleep now but hoping he wakes up soon for an evening stroller ride outside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Finn slept well again last night and even got to go out to the nurses station for the 3rd night in a row! He is retracting just a tiny bit more but he is still really comfortable and on room air. His feeds are still going through his NG as well as his meds. At least he doesn't have to taste yucky medicine!

Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Taking a nap on the floor with Mommy I LOVE snuggling with him and it's so easy now with less tubes!

He had an X-ray vacation today and has been off and on. We increased his feeds a little more and if he tolerates it, he will go to full feeds tomorrow. He has been napping so we haven't done speech or PT/OT yet or a stroller ride but as soon as he wakes up, we will!

This morning, his oxygen was lower but now, as he sleeps, his oxygen is 80! I pray this is his ticket home and we are finally done with this fluid and effusions.

It's a beautiful day in Charlottesville and another beautiful day for Finn!

Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
(posted last night)
"If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart."

We have had such a good day! We had some floor snuggle time, read shark books, dressed like a shark, had a PICC line dressing change and his oxygen has remained stable!!! I'm so proud of him! We got Chinese take out and are watching the movie Enchanted.

And today, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Kelly :D They're having a beach day today; people who read Finn's Facebook page have been sending in sand from all over the world; Kelly spread it all in a small inflatable pool and Finn's gonna get to play in it :D

Upvote 0