University of Wisconsin won’t condemn pro-Hamas protesters chanting ‘glory to the murders’

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Tuesday protest saw a crowd of students with Palestinian flags in front of the school’s library, with one young woman shouting into a microphone, “Glory to the murders!” and “We will liberate the land — by any means necessary!”
Realize that the Chancellor is Jennifer Mnookin, a liberal from California that has a history of advocating for Critical Race Theory. It was reported that in 2019 she advocated Hunter Biden join the faculty at UCLA as an instructor on drug policies.

Last edited:

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

UW-Madison chancellor condemns Hamas, calls for respectful dialogue as Jewish students grapple with attack

UW-Madison Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin is condemning the Hamas attack on Israeli civilians last week, calling for respectful dialogue and a focus on shared values as many Jewish students struggle to reckon with violence against their faith.
On Wednesday, Mnookin joined a small number of college administrators who have spoken out about the attack.

“Related to protest events, the appearance of a speaker or protest group on campus does not constitute the university’s endorsement of the message, nor is the university able to restrict First Amendment protected speech,” UW-Madison spokesperson Kelly Tyrrell said.

Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Tuesday protest saw a crowd of students with Palestinian flags in front of the school’s library, with one young woman shouting into a microphone, “Glory to the murders!” and “We will liberate the land — by any means necessary!”
Realize that the Chancellor is Jennifer Mnookin, a liberal from California that has a history of advocating for Critical Race Theory. It was reported that in 2019 she advocated Hunter Biden join the faculty at UCLA as an instructor on drug policies.
There are some sick people in this world that is for sure.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

UW-Madison chancellor condemns Hamas, calls for respectful dialogue as Jewish students grapple with attack

UW-Madison Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin is condemning the Hamas attack on Israeli civilians last week, calling for respectful dialogue and a focus on shared values as many Jewish students struggle to reckon with violence against their faith.
On Wednesday, Mnookin joined a small number of college administrators who have spoken out about the attack.

“Related to protest events, the appearance of a speaker or protest group on campus does not constitute the university’s endorsement of the message, nor is the university able to restrict First Amendment protected speech,” UW-Madison spokesperson Kelly Tyrrell said.
When a university supported group advocates killing the university must withdraw support of that group.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
When a university supported group advocates killing the university must withdraw support of that group.
“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
― Abraham Lincoln.

(Also, even the Post notes that some say the chants were about "martyrs" not "murders".)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
― Abraham Lincoln.

(Also, even the Post notes that some say the chants were about "martyrs" not "murders".)
Those who threaten or encourage or vocally approve of murder, any student, any organization, should be immediately removed from school. I don't care if it is not the woke thing to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,086.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Those who threaten or encourage or vocally approve of murder, any student, any organization, should be immediately removed from school. I don't care if it is not the woke thing to do.

They are saying 'Glory to the martyrs'. Watch the video for heaven's sake. 'Glory to the murders' makes zero sense. Personally I think they should all shut up and go home. But thankfully they have a right to support who they like as much as I personally reject their views.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They are saying 'Glory to the martyrs'. Watch the video for heaven's sake. 'Glory to the murders' makes zero sense. Personally I think they should all shut up and go home. But thankfully they have a right to support who they like as much as I personally reject their views.
They can support them but the university should not fund them with tax payer dollars nor allow them any officially recognized capacity.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If groups were saying "Glory to the Nazi's", would we also be thankful they have the right..?

...Because there's no actual difference between the two besides the scale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well...me, I hate what they're supporting. But unlike some of you I will fight for their right to assemble peacefully and exercise their right to free speech.
Fair enough. We love free speech here in America, including the freedom to insult Islam's prophet, and Islam itself.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,086.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough. We love free speech here in America, including the freedom to insult Islam's prophet, and Islam itself.
I'm sure you'll be able to find a few people to meet up and do just that. So you go exercise your right and we'll let others exercise theirs.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why does the Post hate the first amendment?
Realize that the Chancellor is Jennifer Mnookin, a liberal from California that has a history of advocating for Critical Race Theory.
Citation needed Post. This sort of tabloid editorializing should be taken with a lump of salt.
It was reported that in 2019 she advocated Hunter Biden join the faculty at UCLA as an instructor on drug policies.
Oh yes! Definite Pulitzer winner this article.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why does the Post hate the first amendment?

Citation needed Post. This sort of tabloid editorializing should be taken with a lump of salt.

Oh yes! Definite Pulitzer winner this article.
Nazis can and have protested, they need to get a permit but no Nazi group should be sponsored by a university. The should be denounced by the administration.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If groups were saying "Glory to the Nazi's", would we also be thankful they have the right..?
Absolutely. I'm thankful for the First Amendment every day. The antidote to bad speech is good speech.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
― Abraham Lincoln.

Threats to others are actionable, and not "freedom". No one says they can't continue to chant whatever nonsense they want. What they cannot do is threaten the safety of other students on campus. The University can't silence them as people but is not obligated to support any group advocating violence in any way.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually it was "Glory to the martyrs": but it still implies that attacking Israel with thousands of missiles and then entering by land and butchering/raping young people at a music festival is somehow justified, and that is wrong.

“It’s gonna be a call and response. When I say, ‘Glory to the martyrs,’ you say, ‘Glory to the resistance.’ When I say, ‘We will liberate the land,’ you say, ‘By any means necessary,’ ” a leader said to the crowd."

Upvote 0