Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Then it would behoove us to find a different way for unity since your way won’t happen. I would think we all live in this country together, realizing we are not each an island but what we do has an affect on other people, and doing things that will benefit all would be more than enough to unify us. Not necessarily in what actions we take, that is for civilized political debate, but certainly in final goal.
Christianity is great for having positive effects upon each other. All one body.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It would, but as a practical matter we are a religiously diverse society and will always remain so. Even if we all became Christians we would not necessarily all be Christians of a kind you would approve of. We are willing to cooperate with you to govern the country. What would it take for you to cooperate with us, short of us all becoming Fundamentalist Evangelicals?
Follow what Christ says in His word. We could start with Don’t Murder, and then go from there.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Protections for the unborn infants.
That's a good example, if we dare touch that third rail in this forum. Is there an alternative to treating termination of pregnancy from fertilization onwards as capital murder that you could agree to?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, we have to unify around something fixed. King Jesus is the most reasonable.
That's certainly one subjective opinion of many. Too bad not enough people found it convincing to vote for the guy pandering to the religious right. Oh well, elections have consequences and all that.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps by, say, tripling welfare payments to poor mothers, federally mandated 1 year family leave, and universal health care? Seems like the now minority GOP won't go for that sort of unity.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That's certainly one subjective opinion of many. Too bad not enough people found it convincing to vote for the guy pandering to the religious right. Oh well, elections have consequences and all that.
That’s not relevant to this thread.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That you believe that is your prerogative. Don't impose your believes on others.
I’m not. I’m sharing what the King requires.

and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”
— Mark 1:15

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There is no need to follow Jesus for not murdering each other. To follow the secular laws is enough.
If that were true, there’d be no abortions.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,110.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Someone (and I can't remember who I need to give credit for this) once opened a thread with this as theme: suppose we give you full power to enact whatever laws you want against abortion, what are you ready to support?
  • tighter gun control?
  • definitive ban on death penalty?
  • universal health care?
  • the Green New Deal?
  • statehood for DC and Puerto Rico?
  • better protection of gays?
Or feel free to make your own suggestions.

Edit: adding KCfromNC's suggestions
Perhaps by, say, tripling welfare payments to poor mothers, federally mandated 1 year family leave, and universal health care? Seems like the now minority GOP won't go for that sort of unity.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Christianity is great for having positive effects upon each other. All one body.

I would argue a cursory knowledge of the last 600 years of European history and all of the wars between factions of Christianity would show that Christianity is a horrible for bringing people together in one body.

Upvote 0

natitude

Dec 19, 2020
east of the Mississippi River
✟22,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That's a good example, if we dare touch that third rail in this forum. Is there an alternative to treating termination of pregnancy from fertilization onwards as capital murder that you could agree to?

So, I do believe that abortion ought to be allowed in those cases of rape, or in which the life of the mother is in jeopardy, or in which it has been medically determined that the fetus will not survive. In those cases of abortion for mere convenience, removing a doctor's ability to practice medicine who performs an abortion might put a dent in that unseemly procedure.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I would argue a cursory knowledge of the last 600 years of European history and all of the wars between factions of Christianity would show that Christianity is a horrible for bringing people together in one body.
I’m talking about actual believers in Christ, not just church goers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't count of unity. Some Republicans have turned on each other. And put Trump before everyone. And defend him, when they know Trump is wrong. I'm not sure ,what to think about the people, that aren't the left. But get accused of being on the left. And some Democrat leader trying their best to please them. But forget about the rest of the Democrat voters.

• Agree
Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I’m not. I’m sharing what the King requires.

and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”
— Mark 1:15
Good. It's beginning to sound as if you want to actually evangelize, rather than having the government do that work for you. But keep in mind that the Gospel of Christ says nothing specific about how we are supposed to deal with climate change, the Covid pandemic, gun control, international trade or Central American refugees, or other "Christian" issues which the religious right have taken a definite position on.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Like boys are boy, girls are girls, and masks don’t work?
It works better, than not wearing a mask. I know a people , that didn't believe in mask, They got COVID-19 , and 2 people I know died of COVID-19. And I wont even get into transgenders, since it's none our business.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.