Los Angeles Area
✟830,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The United Methodist Church is expected to split following an impasse over a persistent debate over same-sex marriage and LGBTQ inclusion.

Leaders of the nation's third-largest denomination said Friday that the United Methodist Church will begin allowing same-sex marriage and LGBTQ clergy, while "traditionalist" Methodists, who oppose gay marriage and the ordination of LGBTQ clergy, will create a separate denomination, The Washington Post reported.

The plan would need to be approved in May at the church's global conference, according to the paper.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The United Methodist Church is expected to split following an impasse over a persistent debate over same-sex marriage and LGBTQ inclusion.

Leaders of the nation's third-largest denomination said Friday that the United Methodist Church will begin allowing same-sex marriage and LGBTQ clergy, while "traditionalist" Methodists, who oppose gay marriage and the ordination of LGBTQ clergy, will create a separate denomination, The Washington Post reported.

The plan would need to be approved in May at the church's global conference, according to the paper.
Not the first time Christians have split due to irreconcilable differences. The "true church" are those in The Body of Christ and He said there are very few who are in it.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Thanks for this ES. I notice that @hedrick is running a similar thread over in the Wesleyan forum.

Reading The Hill article I was struck by this sentence (my bolding):

The United Methodist Church is the largest mainline Protestant denomination in the U.S., and the only Protestant denomination that has yet to allow same-sex marriages and the ordination of LGBTQ clergy.

This doesn't sound right. It suggests that all other Protestant denominations in the US allow SSM and ordination of LGBTQ. I know there's a bit of splintering going on but I'd be amazed if all US Protestant denoms allow SSM. I thought that denoms allowing SSM would be a small minority.
OB

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for this ES. I notice that @hedrick is running a similar thread over in the Wesleyan forum.

Reading The Hill article I was struck by this sentence (my bolding):

The United Methodist Church is the largest mainline Protestant denomination in the U.S., and the only Protestant denomination that has yet to allow same-sex marriages and the ordination of LGBTQ clergy.

This doesn't sound right. It suggests that all other Protestant denominations in the US allow SSM and ordination of LGBTQ. I know there's a bit of splintering going on but I'd be amazed if all US Protestant denoms allow SSM. I thought that denoms allowing SSM would be a small minority.
OB
Obviously they mean mainline. The ignorance of reporters on religious matters is a continuing problem.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

The Anglican church in Australia is facing a similar situation. There are no formal moves, as far as I know, but the idea is being kicked around. Come back, Lord Jesus. I've had enough!

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Do not allow the branch to wither away from the vine. Come home to Christ you Methodists. Come home to the Orthodox Church.

Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Which one is the true church?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

There is no such thing as homosexual marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This Reminds me of 2 Timothy 4:3-4
3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never been to a church that condones sodomy, and I've moved a lot, so I've been to many.

Large Protestant denominations and state churches, as opposed to small fundamentalist Bible churches, tend to be moving towards the acceptance of gays.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This Reminds me of 2 Timothy 4:3-4
3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
The problem with passages like this is that they can be applied by anyone to anyone they disagree with.

To give you an example, I'm going to apply them to conservative Christians.

Years ago I knew we had issues with evolution. But they seemed to be restricted. But once you accept that experts and the press are engaged in a conspiracy, you can explain away anything: global warming, the existence of gays, the big bang, vaccines. I guess I shouldn't be surprised (although initially I was) that belief in a flat earth seems to be coming back. Turning away from truth and going after myths seems an appropriate description.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem with passages like this is that they can be applied by anyone to anyone they disagree with.

To give you an example, I'm going to apply them to conservative Christians.

Years ago I knew we had issues with evolution. But they seemed to be restricted. But once you accept that experts and the press are engaged in a conspiracy, you can explain away anything: global warming, the existence of gays, the big bang, vaccines. I guess I shouldn't be surprised (although initially I was) that belief in a flat earth seems to be coming back. Turning away from truth and going after myths seems an appropriate description.

This is the sort of superstitious thinking that American religion tends to breed, unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It's more about following the bible, not just what-ever comes in your head. If you read Genesis, it's obvious the world is round.

Upvote 0