Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175358,00.html

^ Heh, Fox News

In Montana's Glacier National Park, only 27 of the 150 mammoth ice glaciers that existed when the park was created in 1910 remain. These "jewels in the crown of the continent" took millions of years to form; they are expected to be gone in 20 years.

Oops, this is kinda old, I just saw a story in National Geographic about the glaciers so I thought Fox was covering it too.

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
mm what about foxnews. in case you didnt know the website has nothing to do with the tv station. its just as liberally biased as every other news site it runs exactly the every single same story as cnn etc every single day, just AP stuff copy and paste. They have no reporters and dont write their own stuff.

Upvote 0

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Voegelin said:
The earth, an inanimate object to most, is "unhealthy" because glaciers are retreating. This isn't science, this isn't reporting on the advance and retreat of ice fields. This borders on Gaiaism.

Calling it unhealthy is indeed personification, it serves as a metaphor to illustrate the condition of the earth with respect to humans. The Earth as a planet will be perfectly fine, it's the thing that live on it that will be in trouble. Retreating ice fields are only one "symptom" to extend the metaphor.

Reactions: Voegelin
Upvote 0