Underground church comming?

Jamey

Oct 11, 2008
✟15,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I don't want to make this a political thread. I just want to see how this scenerio plays out.

1 New administration and congress legalized gay marriage,
2 gay couple comes to a church to get married,
3 preacher says "can't unless your a member" (not sure thats a viable reason, some of you out there might beable to correct me on that one)
4 gay couple applies for membership at the church (I know how most of us feel about "applying for membership", just play along with me for now)
5. church will not admit couple because of their homosexual practices
6 couple sues church and wins.

Now if this happens, what becomes of the church? Mainly, what becomes of the Church? I believe His Church will go underground. I don't think I could attend somewhere where God's word cannot be preached or that we allow blatent disregard for It.

So this is what I'm thinking. We are going to have a state ran church, one that will only preach the state's accepted Word.
And we are going to have Christ's Church, who for fear of being sued will be underground, in our homes.

I believe God is in control of all things. I believe this is a purification process. But that is mho.
What are yours?
J.

alcnossen

Mar 6, 2009
Casa Grande, AZ
✟7,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm, I don't think that can happen (at least not under the current legal system). Churches are private organizations, you know...let's use schools as an example. Public schools are not allowed to discriminate (althought they do still have some criteria for admission), however private schools are basically allowed to use whatever criteria they want to admit students. It's because private schools are not receiving government money, and the same thing goes for churches. But who knows these days, it seems like we might be getting a new constitution soon. :cry:

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
LONDON, England, June 12, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Church of England has raised the alarm against new government proposals that will force churches, groups, and individuals to provide services to homosexuals, including blessing "marriages" or civil partnerships, or providing communion under pain of legal prosecution.

The 2006 Sexual Orientation (Provision of Goods and Services) Regulations, which are due for adoption October 2006, prohibit the discrimination of services based on sexual orientation, in the same manner in which discrimination based on race or sex is illegal.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2006/jun/06061209.html

Upvote 0

1Harold

Feb 28, 2009
Birchwood, TN
✟7,664.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a legal not political question

Most Churches incorporate to become tax exempt its called 501c3

Being a corp. has benefits legal status and such.

The Big one is having a receipt for tax deductions.

But they have to follow rules set by the government.

The deal is in the US Churches cannot be taxed any way.

They have no legal status –no court action possible – no recourse cant sue or be sued.

It is hard to get bank accounts, own land among other things (these things can be done or overcome)

Also there are no government rules to follow.

These Churches are called Unregistered or Free

This is more common in House and small churches although some larger established Churches are becoming Free Churches.

I pastor a Free Church in TN. We meet in our home.

Harold

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

riw

Russ
Mar 19, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Try reading a book called "Hitler's Cross." Or look at the situation in China. You don't have to close down churches to make Christianity go underground. I know J Vernon McGee predicted Christianity would go "underground" a number of years ago (though I can't ever find the quote), and the primary driver would be the "mainline churches."

So, I think this is coming, at some point, should the Lord tarry.

:)

Russ

Upvote 0

Timuchin

May 4, 2007
Visit site
✟8,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes the large and medium-sized churches will bow low to the government. They have to. The are formatted after the Constantinian church model that expects government control. The Small groups also use the Constantinian model because of the churches from which they come.

We need to spread the word about the New Testament Home church model that Obama can't touch. They will thrive just like they did in New Testament times. Look up Frank Viola and Neil Cole for books on the subject.

Look up George Otis for transformation wisdom for what God requires for a revival. There is a pattern.

Stockpile Bibles and follow up materials that might not be available when things get economically bad. The coming revival will need it.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
May 12, 2009
✟15,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry if someone has already posted a similar reply, I havn't had chance to read the other posts yet. In response to the original post:

I am from the UK and we already have a state run church. Even the non-state run churches seem to be following in their footsteps of implementing government policy and preaching in line with political correctness.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard some nice messages in church services in the UK. I live in America now and I love the meaty teachings that are directly relevant to the scripture beeing read that week. Our pastor never side-steps the difficult, un-politically correct scripture. He goes right ahead and teaches it in a un-politically correct way. I love it because it has helped me in my walk with God.

I personally think the only way to meet and have fellowship if you are a fundamentalist in many areas of the UK is to attend a home church. Soon any kind of teaching that resembles the early church will be underground in the whole EU and already is in some member states.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Timuchin

May 4, 2007
Visit site
✟8,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And the government will favor a church that merely pacifies their people and promotes their causes. The Constantinian model church finds it much easier to be a monopoly and step on any startups than to compete with real churches head-to-head.

Upvote 0

Ursie

Nov 13, 2009
Southern Arizona
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, we're headed in the direction of being underground. How long will that be? Can't say for sure, but we're certainly headed there. This is why it is so important that believers study and know their bible. In other countries where church is underground, getting a bible is a major undertaking. We must know what is true and be able to share it correctly with others.

Upvote 0

Tammy

Dec 26, 2009
Kingsville, OH
Visit site
✟8,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with you, the faithful churches will eventually be underground. Years ago, my husband and I supported underground churches in Communist Eastern Europe. The Govt. told the churches what could be preached, what could be printed, they appointed their Pastors, etc. The only way to have religious freedom was to go underground....and that is what is coming here to the US, probably sooner than we think....

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, we're headed in the direction of being underground. How long will that be? Can't say for sure, but we're certainly headed there. This is why it is so important that believers study and know their bible. In other countries where church is underground, getting a bible is a major undertaking. We must know what is true and be able to share it correctly with others.

I agree.

At least when the churches go underground it wont be a surprise, we'll know it's coming. And at least we wont be alone, there will be scores of Christians go underground:)

Upvote 0