Scotland
✟43,861.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My goal is not so much to simply teach Scripture. I also intend to correct much of the false teaching that is prevalent in almost every church building. It is so easy to tell a lie, twist Scripture, 2 Pet 3:16, or teach something out of context but it often takes much time and effort to debunk a lie. But all throughout Scripture many of the key figures also had to correct false teaching. In order for believers to live righteously, according to what Scripture teaches, they have to know what is presented in Scripture, not live their lives based on what preachers say.
I won't mention names because if you like a preacher I was to name, you would ignore or discount what I say. I will just show and give examples of false teaching. This way allows you to recognize when you are hearing a lie or being exposed to false teaching.
The three main reasons for the Reformation were to denounce the unbiblical practices of the Catholic Church, to protest all of the unbiblical things that the Catholic Church was teaching, and to give the common people the ability and right to read Scripture in their native language. For the previous 1000 or so years, otherwise known as the dark ages, the Catholic Church was dominant in matters concerning the bible, faith, serving God, etc. The Catholic Bibles were all in Latin and things read from the bible were read in Latin. The problem was that only the Catholic Clergy and a small number of educated men could read and write Latin. Common people didn't understand Latin. The Catholic Church had outlawed any other translation of the Bible in another language. It was a crime for a commoner to own a Bible. For a period of time, it was the death penalty for an unauthorized person to be in the possession of a bible. Many of the Reformers started off in the Catholic Church and they knew the Catholic Church was misrepresenting Scripture and they wanted the practice to stop. Thus, one of their main themes was "Sola Scriptura," which means, Scripture Alone! One of the main tenets of the Catholic Church, then and now, is that the traditions and teachings of the Catholic Church are superior to Scripture and when a Catholic Church's teaching contradicts Scripture, the teaching of the Catholic church supersedes Scripture. One of the Catholic Church's favorite sayings is, " The Church can stand without the Bible, the Bible cannot stand without the Church."
Since Scripture is God's word to believers, when you are going to teach Scripture, you need to stick with what is in Scripture. When you claim to teach from Scripture, you need to show in Scripture, book, chapter, and verse, where Scripture says such and such. God gave clear command to not add or take away from His word:
Deut 4:2, 12:32
Pro 30:5-6
Rev 22:18-19.
Notice in Proverbs, Scripture states if you add to God's word, you are a liar. This ungodly practice, men adding to or taking away from Scripture has been going on since Old Testament times. This study focuses on adding to God's word, teaching things that sound biblical, but are not found anywhere in Scripture. All of the things taught, but not found in Scripture fall under the category of what is called the "traditions of men." Scripture warns against following the traditions of men or the ignorant things ungodly men say:
Isa 29:13
Mat 15:1-3, 6-9
Mk 7:1-13
Col 2:8
1Tim 6:20
1Pet 1:18

I am now going to list many of the statements made from pulpits and believed by those in the pews that are not found anywhere in Scripture, not found in any translation or version of the bible nor in any Greek manuscript. Most of you will recognize some of these sayings, having heard your own preachers proclaim them. You can search, but you won't be able to locate them.

People have a hole in their hearts or a God-shaped hole in their hearts.
You have a void in your life.
You have a vacuum in your life.
Share the love of God/Jesus.
Share your faith.
Pass your faith on to your children.
Leave a spiritual heritage, legacy
Be the hands and feet of Jesus.
Accept Christ.
Invite Jesus into your heart, life.
Make Jesus your personal Lord and Savior.
Admit you are a sinner.
Give God/Jesus/Holy Spirit control of your life.
Surrender to God/Jesus/Holy Spirit.
You are God's masterpiece.
Lift up the name of Jesus.
Plead the blood.
There is power in the blood.
The work of the cross.
Sinners' prayer.
Praying for another or the lost to "get saved."
Pray for the lost.
Meek means "strength under control.'
Love the unlovable.
Broken people, world.
Those who God uses.
Make yourself available to God.
Let God use you.
Give God permission to work in you, through you.
God is your biggest fan.
God hurts when you hurt.
God won't waste your pain.
Don't put God in a box.
God wants to...
God allows...
Deathbed confession.
Church planting.
Music minister.
Music ministry.
Praise/worship leader.
Praise and worship band.
Radical faith.
Random acts of kindness
Practice the presence of God.
How big is your God?
God is in control.
Affect/change society, culture or the world.
Wilderness period.
Mountaintop/valley experience.
The storms in your life.
The giants in your life.
God will meet you where you are at.
Jesus will change your life.
Prayer changes things.
Prayer walk.
Prayer warrior.
Prayer wall.
Prayer allows God to work in your life.
God will use the adversity in your life.
Sold out to God/Jesus.
Evangelical
Evangelicalism.
Ask Jesus to be the Lord of your life.
Leading people to Christ.
The heart of God/Jesus.
Prayer room.
God has a wonderful plan for your life.
You're going to do great things.
God is going to use you in a mighty way.
There is a great move of God coming.
Stretch your faith.
Standing on the word, promises of God.
Where God guides, God provides.
The God of the second chance.
God loves you so much.
Cheap grace
God is so into you.
Fall in love with God/Jesus.
Fall in love with Jesus.
Giving money allows God to work.
Giving money is a form of worship.
Angels singing.
Let God...
Giving money allows God to work
Giving money shows you aren't greedy.
Believers today are under the tithe.
Jesus is the answer.
An attitude of gratitude.
Stinking thinking.
Anointed singing, preaching.
I see the anointing on so and so.
Powerful preaching, sermon.
Your identity in Christ.
Christian sexuality, masculinity.
Christians living in shame, fear, and guilt.
Jesus massaged your heart.
Blessed means happy.
Discover God's will/plan for your life.
How to discover your spiritual gift.
Treasure in heaven is money you sent ahead.
All in.
Resonate.
Different ministries to reach different groups.
Youth, children's ministry.
Sunday school
Musical groups travel around to perform.
Christian singers or musicians.
Transparency.
Divine appointment.
Senior, lead pastor.
Ushers.
Greeters.
Parking ministry.
Who God created you to be.
Devotionals.
We are here to worship God and enjoy Him forever.
Self-esteem.
Image bearers.
Church planting.
Minister of dance, dancing.
Personal relationship.
Easter.
Christmas.
Lent.
Advent.
Accept God's love.
Christian statesman, thinkers.
Changed lives.
God will take away your desires to sin.
All that God has for you.
Prayer journal.
Spread, advance the kingdom.
God loves you so much.
Reading something from the bible and asking, 'How does this apply to me?"
God gave His all.
You can't outgive God.
God is winsome.
Altar call.
With every head bowed and eyes closed.
Somebody saying to another, "You have something I want."
Seed means money.
"I'm believing God for..."
Life coach.
God loves you the way you are, but He loves you too much to leave you there.
Change agents.
Making an investment into the kingdom.
Help us reach the world.
I'd like to invite you to accept Christ.
God asks, "Why should I let you into heaven, what did you do with Jesus, what did you do with the money, and gifts I gave you?
Jesus invaded Earth.
Jesus was a revolutionary.
A preacher saying, "I think or I believe.'
God adores you.
Trust in Jesus for your salvation.
Jesus came with a message of love.
The bible is God's love letter to us.
The lover of my soul.
The enemy of my soul.
Satan hates believers.
Revivalists.
Psalmist.
This year is going to be the best year of your life.
Are you teachable?
Have you submitted your will to God?
Faith in your faith.
Baby Jesus.
Whomsoever may come.
How big is your faith?
God pursues people.
God is the hound from heaven.
Gifted.
Spiritual failure.
God has a special love for children.
Opening yourself for possession.
Influenced by demons.
Satan whispers in your ear or puts thoughts into your mind.
Satan talks to you.
Lordship.
Applauding the preacher.
The congregation buys gifts for the preacher and his wife.
Long, drawn-out prayers.
Testimonies.
God told me...
Personal stories from the preacher.
Caught, not taught.
Tell people how much God loves them.
Unchurched.
Step into your destiny.
Preachers giving advice on mental health issues.
Hearing God.
Till the whole world hears.
The wooing of the Holy Spirit.
"I receive that."
Speaking into people's lives.
Surrender your life and possessions to God.
Give God your pain.
Forgive God.
Spiritual soul mate.
Ask God who you should marry.
Paul was a terrorist.
Jesus came to change the world.
God knows your potential.
The last thing to get saved is a person's wallet.
Prayer posture.
Go tell people about me and how they can come to know me.
Claiming territory for God.
Asking God/Jesus/Holy Spirit to show up in a church service.
Church service.

I could add more. The point is if you hear any of these statements made, I would ask your preacher to show you where Scripture teaches this. All preachers are accountable for what they say. If something isn't found in Scripture, then it isn't biblical and should not be taught, period! If it isn't in Scripture, it is a lie, it is false teaching!
I am aware that some will disagree with me that these statements are not biblical. And that is okay with me. I'm not here to have people "believe" me or try to persuade people to believe what I say. The only important thing is that Scripture is believed. If a statement is not found in Scripture, then it isn't Scripture. If you think I am wrong and seek to prove me wrong, you must use Scripture and Scripture alone to show any error. Otherwise, it is just your personal opinion or belief, which doesn't mean anything to me.
A lot of these are not statements, but isolated phrases, which might mean something or nothing. This, for instance: ""I receive that."" - there is no clue as to what is being referred to. It might refer to anything. There is nothing objectionable in using those three words in that order.

"God is in control" is one of lessons of the Gospels, and one of the chief lessons of the Books of Daniel & Revelation. That the exact phrase is not used, is beside the point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟799,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The person literally said, most all of the church is teaching unbiblical doctrine and this what that doctrine is. That's pretty much saying "I'm God's messenger to show you how wrong you all are."

Notice, they haven't once chimed in here to defend their OP either. Doesn't seem to be very convicted if they can't stomach to hang around and defend their ideas.
For what it is worth, there is error being taught in EVERY church, including the Reformed churches, in my opinion, both by addition to Scripture, and omission of Scripture.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟220,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Much later as you said. So claim is being made by a late comer previously given no authourity in the Roman Empire after the civil war where Greek won out over Latin in bot secular and church life. Yes credit can be given but not to just the western Catholics.
I've been speaking about languages, where Latin surpassed Greek as the common language of the people in Europe and where a Latin version of the Bible was badly needed.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've been speaking about languages, where Latin surpassed Greek as the common language of the people in Europe and where a Latin version of the Bible was badly needed.
That may be a truth concerning religion but has no bearing on original Christianity itself.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That may be a truth concerning religion but has no bearing on original Christianity itself.

Yes it does. The uneducated people of Rome in the second century did not speak Greek, only Latin. St. Victor, the Archbishop of the Church in Rome, which had until that time worshipped only in Greek (Greek and Syriac were the only languages in use in the Christian Church at the time) saw to the translation of the Bible and the Divine Liturgy into Latin, the result being the Vetus Latina, from which we get the beautiful classical Latin phrase “Gloria in exclesis deo” (the Vulgate, translated anew by St. Jerome to replace the Vetus Latina, rendered this “Gloria in altissimus deo” but fortunately the Roman liturgy continued to quote the Vetus Latina, which was stylistically superior), and the Latin Mass. These were the vernacular languages of ancient Rome.

The translation of the liturgy into Latin set off a translation voom in the third and fourth centuries, with more Syriac Aramaic Bibles, culminating in the Peshitta, which is still in use to this day, as well as Sahidic Coptic, Ge’ez, Georgian and Classical Armenian translations of the Bible and the liturgy. Later centuries would see Celtic, Bohairic Coptic, Arabic, Caucasian Albanian, Old Bulgarian, Church Slavonic, and Galgolithic translations, followed by English, German, Dutch, Frisian, Romanian, modern Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian (Bokmal), Icelandic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Sardinian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, and so on, until now every surviving natural language and some artificial languages like Esperanto have Bibles and liturgical service books composed in them.

And all of this vernacular translation started in the second century under Pope St. Victor, when the Church of Rome broke with the rest of the churches in the Mediterranean at the time, which exclusively used Koine Greek, and translated the Bible and the liturgy into Classical Latin.

• Agree
Reactions: Valletta
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And all of this vernacular translation started in the second century under Pope St. Victor, when the Church of Rome broke with the rest of the churches in the Mediterranean at the time, which exclusively used Koine Greek, and translated the Bible and the liturgy into Classical Latin.
That could also suggest a turning point in another direction.

Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who told them to get hung up on doctrine or whatever in the first place? Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom was clear and needs no interpretation (which is one of a couple reasons why it is most likely ignored in favour of another). Religion is what happens when people start to philosophize on how it can be adapted to suit themselves.

I disagree. While the Bible is inerrant our understanding and interpretations of it are not. This is why there are FORTY THOUSAND different non-Catholic churches, denominations, sects, and cults. There is no final authority. When a difference arises... y'all hive off and start another "church" to draw off disciples after yourselves.

Christ appointed the Church, led by Peter, to have final say on all teaching, morals, and practice.

When I consider the question I’m reminded of how the early Church in the book of Acts settled what was perhaps the most controversial and divisive issue at that time.

There was the controversy over if Gentiles should be required to obey the Law of Moses and be circumcised to become Christians or not.

Clearly anyone can see why this would be a big deal for converts. After all, an increasing number of these new converts were Gentiles.

There were those who firmly believed Gentiles should be required to be circumcised in accordance to the Law of Moses, and others professing baptism was the circumcision “made without hands” (Colossians 2:11-12).

To settle the issue, the Church (the actual Ecclesia) came together and held an official council to discuss and resolve this issue that has become known historically as the First Ecumenical Council of Jerusalem (around 50 A.D.).

Let’s look at this counsel and how the matter was resolved and by what authority it was resolved :

Acts 15:1-21
New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition
1 Then certain individuals came down from Judea and were teaching the brothers, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 And after Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and debate with them, Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to discuss this question with the apostles and the elders. 3 So they were sent on their way by the church, and as they passed through both Phoenicia and Samaria, they reported the conversion of the Gentiles, and brought great joy to all the believers.[a] 4 When they came to Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them. 5 But some believers who belonged to the sect of the Pharisees stood up and said, “It is necessary for them to be circumcised and ordered to keep the law of Moses.”
6 The apostles and the elders met together to consider this matter. 7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “My brothers, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that I should be the one through whom the Gentiles would hear the message of the good news and become believers. 8 And God, who knows the human heart, testified to them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as he did to us; 9 and in cleansing their hearts by faith he has made no distinction between them and us. 10 Now therefore why are you putting God to the test by placing on the neck of the disciples a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear? 11 On the contrary, we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.”
12 The whole assembly kept silence, and listened to Barnabas and Paul as they told of all the signs and wonders that God had done through them among the Gentiles. 13 After they finished speaking, James replied, “My brothers,[c] listen to me. 14 Simeon has related how God first looked favorably on the Gentiles, to take from among them a people for his name. 15 This agrees with the words of the prophets, as it is written,
‘After this I will return,
and I will rebuild the dwelling of David, which has fallen;
from its ruins I will rebuild it,
and I will set it up,
so that all other peoples may seek the Lord—
even all the Gentiles over whom my name has been called.
Thus says the Lord, who has been making these things 18 known from long ago.’[d]
19 Therefore I have reached the decision that we should not trouble those Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but we should write to them to abstain only from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from whatever has been strangled[e] and from blood. 21 For in every city, for generations past, Moses has had those who proclaim him, for he has been read aloud every sabbath in the synagogues.”

You’ll notice that after there had been much no doubt hated debate, Peter stood up, making a motion, declaring his position on the issue.

And then there was…silence upon St. Peter speaking. (Acts 15:12.

Peter's authority brought the whole Church to order. Then the assembly intently listened to the testimonies of Paul and Barnabas regarding the salvation of the Gentiles. James then speaks seconding Peter’s motion, advising that a letter be issued and sent throughout the Church stating what is expected of Gentile Christian converts.

That letter read…

“The brothers, both the apostles and the elders, to the believers[g] of Gentile origin in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia, greetings. 24 Since we have heard that certain persons who have gone out from us, though with no instructions from us, have said things to disturb you and have unsettled your minds,[h] 25 we have decided unanimously to choose representatives and send them to you, along with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 who have risked their lives for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will tell you the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to impose on you no further burden than these essentials: 29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled[j] and from fornication. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.” (Acts 15:23-29)

The decision of this Council became settled ecclesiastical law on the issue.

You’ll also notice their opinion regarding the nature of the Council’s decision:

“For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us…” (Acts 15:28)

They regarded the Council’s decision to have been guided by the Holy Spirit. This is what Jesus spoke about in John 16…

John 16:12-15
12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, because he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine. For this reason I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you."

Within this Council we see that they had faith that the Holy Spirit would guide the Ecclesia into all truth. This wasn’t some fly by night private revelation. It was actual Church authority guided by the Holy Spirit on an issue not directly addressed by Christ Himself.

You’ll notice Peter’s Archbishop authority to call the entire Church body to order, and the submission and support from Evangelists Paul and Barnabas, along with James (Bishop of Jerusalem).

This left no confusion and was preeminently authoritative.

Therefore, the Church has historically settled serious disputes of doctrine and practice among brethren in this manner for TWO MILLENNIA now in God’s Holy Church.

This being the fact, I firmly believe any dispute among brethren can easily be settled by referring to the historic Councils of the Holy Church held under the preeminent authority of the Seat of Peter.
Those who refuse said authority are in short being heretical and self governing with few, if anyone, to be accountable to. This heresy doesn’t mean they’re automatically damned. While there are damnable heresies, keep in mind, not all heresy is damnable. It doesn’t mean they are bad people either. It means they are outside the authority of the historic Christian Church known as the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is why there are FORTY THOUSAND different non-Catholic churches, denominations, sects, and cults
How many catholic? Are they too splintered? Is there a log in their eye?
The rest of your post is inhouse doctrine. Scripture tells us the foundation of Jesus' church was truth that came from God, not from man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How many catholic? Are they too splintered? Is there a log in their eye?

There are over 1.3 billion Roman Catholics. Any "splintered groups" are schismatic and are not in full fellowship with the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The rest of your post is inhouse doctrine. Scripture tells us the foundation of Jesus' church was truth that came from God, not from man.

Read my post again, I covered the Jerusalem Council as it took place in the book of Acts chapter 15. It's not "inhouse"... it is New Testament. If not for that council, Christians would still be arguing over circumcision.

God's Word (the Bible) didn't just drop out of Heaven. It was written in letters that were copied and circulated throughout various regions. It was our Councils of Rome, Nicea, and Carthage that complied, translated, and established the Holy Canon, the New Testament you read. I know you'll fly fast and loose with the Bible and your goosebumps, starting new churches and organizations whenever you feel the need or have a disagreement. It's not like that with Christ's Holy Church. We are not only grounded by Scripture, but by Sacred Tradition, and the Magisterium of the Church. This is why we are 20 centuries old. Think about it... if I had a time machine I could go back to any point in the past 2,000 years and find a Church holding the vast majority of my beliefs and practices. Only Catholic Christians can lay claim to this.

It strikes me how so many today flee accountability to spiritual authority. My friend, true authority comes through submission to Christ's Holy Church. The one founded when Jesus said...

Matthew 16:18-19
New Catholic Bible
18 And I say to you: You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”​

The keys were given to Peter and are recorded by the Fathers as having been passed to St. Linus and St. Clement through the various Archbishops who became Popes to the Pope this very day.

Christianity isn't some new age cowboy religion one can just name it and claim it or blab it and grab it. It is a body... an actual ecclesia that is TWO THOUSAND YEARS OLD and counting. Hell has thrown everything at her...and we're still prevailing.

• Agree
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Christianity isn't some new age cowboy religion one can just name it and claim it or blab it and grab it.
The cowboy religion started with the gentiles who along the road even ignored where it says Paul taught the Gospel of the Kingdom continuously for another gospel and direction allowing an institutionalised religion that created its own kingdom in earth, which would suggest it took the offer Jesus rejected in the desert. That includes all branches of Christianity since. Saying one branch is better than another is a distraction from the truth that all have rejected the Gospel of the Kingdom for the kingdom of man's churches where they self proclaim truth.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟898,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My goal is not so much to simply teach Scripture. I also intend to correct much of the false teaching that is prevalent in almost every church building. It is so easy to tell a lie, twist Scripture, 2 Pet 3:16, or teach something out of context but it often takes much time and effort to debunk a lie. But all throughout Scripture many of the key figures also had to correct false teaching. In order for believers to live righteously, according to what Scripture teaches, they have to know what is presented in Scripture, not live their lives based on what preachers say.
I won't mention names because if you like a preacher I was to name, you would ignore or discount what I say. I will just show and give examples of false teaching. This way allows you to recognize when you are hearing a lie or being exposed to false teaching.
The three main reasons for the Reformation were to denounce the unbiblical practices of the Catholic Church, to protest all of the unbiblical things that the Catholic Church was teaching, and to give the common people the ability and right to read Scripture in their native language. For the previous 1000 or so years, otherwise known as the dark ages, the Catholic Church was dominant in matters concerning the bible, faith, serving God, etc. The Catholic Bibles were all in Latin and things read from the bible were read in Latin. The problem was that only the Catholic Clergy and a small number of educated men could read and write Latin. Common people didn't understand Latin. The Catholic Church had outlawed any other translation of the Bible in another language. It was a crime for a commoner to own a Bible. For a period of time, it was the death penalty for an unauthorized person to be in the possession of a bible. Many of the Reformers started off in the Catholic Church and they knew the Catholic Church was misrepresenting Scripture and they wanted the practice to stop. Thus, one of their main themes was "Sola Scriptura," which means, Scripture Alone! One of the main tenets of the Catholic Church, then and now, is that the traditions and teachings of the Catholic Church are superior to Scripture and when a Catholic Church's teaching contradicts Scripture, the teaching of the Catholic church supersedes Scripture. One of the Catholic Church's favorite sayings is, " The Church can stand without the Bible, the Bible cannot stand without the Church."
Since Scripture is God's word to believers, when you are going to teach Scripture, you need to stick with what is in Scripture. When you claim to teach from Scripture, you need to show in Scripture, book, chapter, and verse, where Scripture says such and such. God gave clear command to not add or take away from His word:
Deut 4:2, 12:32
Pro 30:5-6
Rev 22:18-19.
Notice in Proverbs, Scripture states if you add to God's word, you are a liar. This ungodly practice, men adding to or taking away from Scripture has been going on since Old Testament times. This study focuses on adding to God's word, teaching things that sound biblical, but are not found anywhere in Scripture. All of the things taught, but not found in Scripture fall under the category of what is called the "traditions of men." Scripture warns against following the traditions of men or the ignorant things ungodly men say:
Isa 29:13
Mat 15:1-3, 6-9
Mk 7:1-13
Col 2:8
1Tim 6:20
1Pet 1:18

I am now going to list many of the statements made from pulpits and believed by those in the pews that are not found anywhere in Scripture, not found in any translation or version of the bible nor in any Greek manuscript. Most of you will recognize some of these sayings, having heard your own preachers proclaim them. You can search, but you won't be able to locate them.

People have a hole in their hearts or a God-shaped hole in their hearts.
You have a void in your life.
You have a vacuum in your life.
Share the love of God/Jesus.
Share your faith.
Pass your faith on to your children.
Leave a spiritual heritage, legacy
Be the hands and feet of Jesus.
Accept Christ.
Invite Jesus into your heart, life.
Make Jesus your personal Lord and Savior.
Admit you are a sinner.
Give God/Jesus/Holy Spirit control of your life.
Surrender to God/Jesus/Holy Spirit.
You are God's masterpiece.
Lift up the name of Jesus.
Plead the blood.
There is power in the blood.
The work of the cross.
Sinners' prayer.
Praying for another or the lost to "get saved."
Pray for the lost.
Meek means "strength under control.'
Love the unlovable.
Broken people, world.
Those who God uses.
Make yourself available to God.
Let God use you.
Give God permission to work in you, through you.
God is your biggest fan.
God hurts when you hurt.
God won't waste your pain.
Don't put God in a box.
God wants to...
God allows...
Deathbed confession.
Church planting.
Music minister.
Music ministry.
Praise/worship leader.
Praise and worship band.
Radical faith.
Random acts of kindness
Practice the presence of God.
How big is your God?
God is in control.
Affect/change society, culture or the world.
Wilderness period.
Mountaintop/valley experience.
The storms in your life.
The giants in your life.
God will meet you where you are at.
Jesus will change your life.
Prayer changes things.
Prayer walk.
Prayer warrior.
Prayer wall.
Prayer allows God to work in your life.
God will use the adversity in your life.
Sold out to God/Jesus.
Evangelical
Evangelicalism.
Ask Jesus to be the Lord of your life.
Leading people to Christ.
The heart of God/Jesus.
Prayer room.
God has a wonderful plan for your life.
You're going to do great things.
God is going to use you in a mighty way.
There is a great move of God coming.
Stretch your faith.
Standing on the word, promises of God.
Where God guides, God provides.
The God of the second chance.
God loves you so much.
Cheap grace
God is so into you.
Fall in love with God/Jesus.
Fall in love with Jesus.
Giving money allows God to work.
Giving money is a form of worship.
Angels singing.
Let God...
Giving money allows God to work
Giving money shows you aren't greedy.
Believers today are under the tithe.
Jesus is the answer.
An attitude of gratitude.
Stinking thinking.
Anointed singing, preaching.
I see the anointing on so and so.
Powerful preaching, sermon.
Your identity in Christ.
Christian sexuality, masculinity.
Christians living in shame, fear, and guilt.
Jesus massaged your heart.
Blessed means happy.
Discover God's will/plan for your life.
How to discover your spiritual gift.
Treasure in heaven is money you sent ahead.
All in.
Resonate.
Different ministries to reach different groups.
Youth, children's ministry.
Sunday school
Musical groups travel around to perform.
Christian singers or musicians.
Transparency.
Divine appointment.
Senior, lead pastor.
Ushers.
Greeters.
Parking ministry.
Who God created you to be.
Devotionals.
We are here to worship God and enjoy Him forever.
Self-esteem.
Image bearers.
Church planting.
Minister of dance, dancing.
Personal relationship.
Easter.
Christmas.
Lent.
Advent.
Accept God's love.
Christian statesman, thinkers.
Changed lives.
God will take away your desires to sin.
All that God has for you.
Prayer journal.
Spread, advance the kingdom.
God loves you so much.
Reading something from the bible and asking, 'How does this apply to me?"
God gave His all.
You can't outgive God.
God is winsome.
Altar call.
With every head bowed and eyes closed.
Somebody saying to another, "You have something I want."
Seed means money.
"I'm believing God for..."
Life coach.
God loves you the way you are, but He loves you too much to leave you there.
Change agents.
Making an investment into the kingdom.
Help us reach the world.
I'd like to invite you to accept Christ.
God asks, "Why should I let you into heaven, what did you do with Jesus, what did you do with the money, and gifts I gave you?
Jesus invaded Earth.
Jesus was a revolutionary.
A preacher saying, "I think or I believe.'
God adores you.
Trust in Jesus for your salvation.
Jesus came with a message of love.
The bible is God's love letter to us.
The lover of my soul.
The enemy of my soul.
Satan hates believers.
Revivalists.
Psalmist.
This year is going to be the best year of your life.
Are you teachable?
Have you submitted your will to God?
Faith in your faith.
Baby Jesus.
Whomsoever may come.
How big is your faith?
God pursues people.
God is the hound from heaven.
Gifted.
Spiritual failure.
God has a special love for children.
Opening yourself for possession.
Influenced by demons.
Satan whispers in your ear or puts thoughts into your mind.
Satan talks to you.
Lordship.
Applauding the preacher.
The congregation buys gifts for the preacher and his wife.
Long, drawn-out prayers.
Testimonies.
God told me...
Personal stories from the preacher.
Caught, not taught.
Tell people how much God loves them.
Unchurched.
Step into your destiny.
Preachers giving advice on mental health issues.
Hearing God.
Till the whole world hears.
The wooing of the Holy Spirit.
"I receive that."
Speaking into people's lives.
Surrender your life and possessions to God.
Give God your pain.
Forgive God.
Spiritual soul mate.
Ask God who you should marry.
Paul was a terrorist.
Jesus came to change the world.
God knows your potential.
The last thing to get saved is a person's wallet.
Prayer posture.
Go tell people about me and how they can come to know me.
Claiming territory for God.
Asking God/Jesus/Holy Spirit to show up in a church service.
Church service.

I could add more. The point is if you hear any of these statements made, I would ask your preacher to show you where Scripture teaches this. All preachers are accountable for what they say. If something isn't found in Scripture, then it isn't biblical and should not be taught, period! If it isn't in Scripture, it is a lie, it is false teaching!
I am aware that some will disagree with me that these statements are not biblical. And that is okay with me. I'm not here to have people "believe" me or try to persuade people to believe what I say. The only important thing is that Scripture is believed. If a statement is not found in Scripture, then it isn't Scripture. If you think I am wrong and seek to prove me wrong, you must use Scripture and Scripture alone to show any error. Otherwise, it is just your personal opinion or belief, which doesn't mean anything to me.

A lot of the things you’ve listed here are supported by the scriptures even tho they might not be written the same way you have them written here. Like “fall in love with God” or “fall in love with Jesus” could be supported by Jesus’ most important commandment. “You shall love God with all your heart, soul, and mind”. That’s just one example but there are several other terms you’ve listed here that are supported by the scriptures.

• Agree
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟220,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Fine, but how many other catholic groups?
There is one Catholic Church, there are a number of rites (liturgical traditions are one difference) within the one Catholic Church. The Latin or Roman rite is the largest, the Byzantine rite is the next largest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is one Catholic Church, there are a number of rites (liturgical traditions) within the one Catholic Church. The Latin or Roman rite is the largest, the Byzantine rite is the next largest.
Right so they are no different than Protestant in their division. Divided is divided regardless of which side of the fence Christianity is made out to be by some. And before anyone says Catholics are 'fewer' divided, it still means divided, just like te accusation made towards Protestant.

According to God, none of us, religious or secular, come close to His will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟220,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right so they are no different than Protestant in their division. Divided is divided regardless of which side of the fence Christianity is made out to be by some. And before anyone says Catholics are 'fewer' divided, it still means divided, just like te accusation made towards Protestant.

False. There is one Catholic Church, the words of the mass, the liturgy, is different in the different rites as are the words for the sacraments. But these rites of the Catholic Church all recognize the pope and are all Catholic. Any Catholic can attend any Catholic rite mass and fulfill his or her obligation, receive the Eucharist, etc. (The Eastern Orthodox have similarities to Catholic Eastern rites but are NOT under the pope). There are differences besides the words, normally Catholics of the Roman rite typically kneel for the consecration (if you cannot kneel you can stand or in a church with no kneelers you can stand) but in eastern rites you would typically stand. There can be differences too in masses within a rite, you probably have heard of the Latin mass in the Roman rite.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟898,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think that is the consensus amongst those who are ignorant to the facts of the schism. The bishop of Rome claimed that he held papal supremacy over all the churches and everyone else disagreed and sided against him. In my eyes that’s not a division of the church at all it’s the excommunication of one church from all the others. Surely you wouldn’t say that a congregation was divided just because one member was asked to leave.

Upvote 0