Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good evening brothers and sisters in Christ. Reaching out just to hear others' input:

I definitely have a Type B personality (flexible, low-stress levels, relaxed attitude, even-tempered, laid-back, tendency to procrastinate, patient) and I have always been attracted to women who exhibit Type A personalities (very driven, competitive, anxious, work-oriented, easily flustered). I have always seen it as God leading me to a partner who will complement me in the areas I am lacking. But there are times whereas a man, it is hard to take the lead of someone who does not want to give up control. Are there any tips to help ease your Type A woman's mind and let them feel more comfortable with you leading? Would love to hear perspectives from both sides. Thank you in advance!

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Good evening brothers and sisters in Christ. Reaching out just to hear others' input:

I definitely have a Type B personality (flexible, low-stress levels, relaxed attitude, even-tempered, laid-back, tendency to procrastinate, patient) and I have always been attracted to women who exhibit Type A personalities (very driven, competitive, anxious, work-oriented, easily flustered). I have always seen it as God leading me to a partner who will complement me in the areas I am lacking. But there are times whereas a man, it is hard to take the lead of someone who does not want to give up control. Are there any tips to help ease your Type A woman's mind and let them feel more comfortable with you leading? Would love to hear perspectives from both sides. Thank you in advance!
Maybe you will be a more successful husband than most men. A man who is thoughtful and slow to to make snap judgements is more likely to be supportive of marriage as a true partnership. I wouldn't see your personality as a problem.

Upvote 0

Olmhinlu

Apr 15, 2020
Undisclosed
✟59,795.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought "Type A" and "Type B" were made up (in paid-for research) by smoking companies to explain away the effects of smoking (by suggesting that there was a certain type of person, "Type A", who was both more likely to smoke, and independently, more likely to suffer certain health issues)...

Upvote 0

Kevin-D.77

May 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
@Caliban Thank you! I have definitely learned that being slow in speech and actions is key. I see my personality as a positive trait as well, but because of how I am my partner can sometimes see me as being passive and not caring. Which is not the case.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are there any tips to help ease your Type A woman's mind and let them feel more comfortable with you leading?

From your status, it looks like you're in a relationship. I would say, just be yourself. In time, it will show that you are steady and ready, while she's anxious and easily flustered. Someone who shows persistent calm, remains unperturbed over long stretches of time, can be seen as strong and dependable. Leaders are made of that kind of thing. You probably chose your words carefully. People who don't always say the first thing that occurs to them are often heard when they finally speak. Obviously, I couldn't know all the particulars of your situation, but it sounds like you can keep on being you. And, you know, be sweet to your lady friend. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Kevin-D.77
Upvote 0

Kevin-D.77

May 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
From your status, it looks like you're in a relationship. I would say, just be yourself. In time, it will show that you are steady and ready, while she's anxious and easily flustered. Someone who shows persistent calm, remains unperturbed over long stretches of time, can be seen as strong and dependable. Leaders are made of that kind of thing. You probably chose your words carefully. People who don't always say the first thing that occurs to them are often heard when they finally speak. Obviously, I couldn't know all the particulars of your situation, but it sounds like you can keep on being you. And, you know, be sweet to your lady friend. :)

You're right! Just have to trust in God's timing.

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're right! Just have to trust in God's timing.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "right." It's just a suggestion. I've been wrong twice before. ;) Seriously, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I'd suggest encouraging a potential lady friend to listen to Joyce Meyer. She's a typical Type A (Choleric) who has been transformed by God. She's learned to quit trying to control everything, she's adapted to other temperaments, she is submissive to her husband and she is a genuinely spiritual woman. I don't know of a better role model for any woman, let alone the Choleric temperament.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
@Caliban Thank you! I have definitely learned that being slow in speech and actions is key. I see my personality as a positive trait as well, but because of how I am my partner can sometimes see me as being passive and not caring. Which is not the case.
If you care, your partner will come to know that. It took a few years for my wife to understand that I have a weird sense of humor, that I am a verbal processor, and that I will follow through with only some of my ideas. Be you and be authentic; but be the best you. If you can inspire loyalty and trust, you will have a great life and marriage. The fact that you are asking for advice from people demonstrates your desire to be a good person. Sounds like you are doing well.

Upvote 0

Kevin-D.77

May 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you care, your partner will come to know that. It took a few years for my wife to understand that I have a weird sense of humor, that I am a verbal processor, and that I will follow through with only some of my ideas. Be you and be authentic; but be the best you. If you can inspire loyalty and trust, you will have a great life and marriage. The fact that you are asking for advice from people demonstrates your desire to be a good person. Sounds like you are doing well.

Thank you, brother, I truly appreciate your advice.

Reactions: Caliban
Upvote 0

Kevin-D.77

May 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd suggest encouraging a potential lady friend to listen to Joyce Meyer. She's a typical Type A (Choleric) who has been transformed by God. She's learned to quit trying to control everything, she's adapted to other temperaments, she is submissive to her husband and she is a genuinely spiritual woman. I don't know of a better role model for any woman, let alone the Choleric temperament.

Ha! That sounds like her. I'll give this a shot. Thank you for your input.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What does that mean for you? I know that there is (unfortunately) not a common understanding of what that phrase means.

I'm a conservative man who married a liberal woman. It only lasted for four years. This is pretty common.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I'm not an authority on relationships, but I do appreciate the Jocko Podcast. Jocko talks about leadership and applying those principles universally, and they are principles that really appear to put strength in reach for type B personalities. Paradoxically, he has to be one of the most intense men alive on the planet right now, but he talks about demonstrating strength and leadership in easygoing ways that you do not need to be a type A to implement.

Upvote 0

Kevin-D.77

May 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not an authority on relationships, but I do appreciate the Jocko Podcast. Jocko talks about leadership and applying those principles universally, and they are principles that really appear to put strength in reach for type B personalities. Paradoxically, he has to be one of the most intense men alive on the planet right now, but he talks about demonstrating strength and leadership in easygoing ways that you do not need to be a type A to implement.

Perfect! I'm always up for a good podcast so thank you for pointing me his way!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would encourage you to move away from the labels and focus on the nuances of your personalities. Learn how to play to your strengths and offset each other’s weaknesses. No one can answer this for you because few are textbook examples of the types.

But since I fall within the first I’ll provide some insight nonetheless. According to your example, Type A personalities are:
  • Very driven, Competitive, and Work-Oriented: True. Every personality test I’ve taken says the same. You may want to do take them together along with the 5 love languages for greater insight. The book would be good to read together.
For the record, I’m an ENTJ-A Commander (Myers-Briggs), Enneagram 3 Achiever; Enneagram TriType Mover & Shaker (more thorough review); DISC DI (over 85% of the result) and Fascination Advantage Power/Maestro.

When you compare the results of different tests a clearer picture emerges. You’ll see a running theme.
  • Anxious and Easily Flustered: False. I’m not anxious and never suffered from anxiety-driven maladies. Nor am I easily flustered. I thrive in high pressure situations and sink or swim environments. I’m extremely adaptable with strong problem-solving skills. I’m not undone by chaos or the unexpected.
But my lifestyle is laid back and comfortable. The pace isn’t hectic or frantic. Peace and ease are mainstays. I’m not a workaholic. That flies in the face of Type-A depictions. :p

In respect to control, if I question his leadership and vision I won’t follow him. He needs to be strong in both because I excel in each. Finishing is equally important as starting. Someone who drops the ball, quits or has trouble finishing what he starts would be a poor fit.

The most convincing thing you can do is undertake a project and share your progress from start to finish. Let her see you in positions of leadership with others (work, church, volunteering).

If she sees you show up elsewhere she’s less likely to worry you’ll fail her later on. For someone like myself, words are nice. But the proof is in the pudding. Sound leadership requires feedback with constructive criticism. That is best obtained outside the relationship.

~Bella

• Winner
Upvote 0