• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Type 2 diabetes! please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalinaBist

Oct 25, 2007
✟15,116.00
Faith
Christian
Hypoglycemia is a complication, which is extremely common and maybe seen in either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It is a common side effect of treatment with insulin or sulfonylurea. It is usually precipitated by inadequate food intake or by excessive exercise. The signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia include sweating, palpitations, tremor and later on confusion, behavioral changes and finally coma. These symptoms are individualized and maybe different for different individuals. Hypoglycemia can cause seizures, strokes and thus neurological deficits. Hence, it should be treated immediately with oral glucose, which maybe in the form of a fruit juice, a soft drink or glucose powder in water. If the patient is unable to swallow, intravenous glucose maybe required. free-diabetic-supplies.net Get more Information on Hypoglycemia. Good luck!

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If he keeps a diary or log of some kind it would be interesting to know if there is a particular time of day when he is dropping low or after a specific activity. Going too low like that can happen at times from exercise or not eating or taking too much insulin or medication. I usually get shaky and sweating and feel like I am going to pass out (which I have never done). Usually, you want to treat it with a simple sugar to get the blood sugar up quickly. I usually drink apple juice or orange juice. Then, you want him to eat a meal as soon as possible to get the blood sugar up.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My father-in-law has been suffering from type 2 diabetes for the past three years. Although his condition is very much under control, I would still prefer to know how to control hypoglycemia and what its symptoms are. I have heard it is a common diabetic problem. Please explain. Thanks in advance!
I have recently had this issue because of another medication that I was put on. I'm trying to figure out if it's medication related, or if it's because the medication is making me forget. So I have done as previously suggested - keeping a log of what I'm eating, time, when I'm taking meds, how much med, etc. to try to figure out how to do better and be more stable.

After a week of keeping the log, I will contact my endocrinologist for help and get feedback if I see that I'm still eating right. She may need to adjust my meds.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have recently had this issue because of another medication that I was put on. I'm trying to figure out if it's medication related, or if it's because the medication is making me forget. So I have done as previously suggested - keeping a log of what I'm eating, time, when I'm taking meds, how much med, etc. to try to figure out how to do better and be more stable.

After a week of keeping the log, I will contact my endocrinologist for help and get feedback if I see that I'm still eating right. She may need to adjust my meds.
Most meters that you use have all your numbers in it for a month or two. Usually, I just take my meter to the doctor and he downloads the numbers on his computer and that tells him the whole story.
On a side note, he said I was going really good last week!

Upvote 0
D

Dragonfly7

I'm new here, in fact, this is my second posting.

I have been a type 2 diabetic for the past 15 years. For the past 7 years of so I have been using insulin instead of the oral medications. I have found that I am better able to control my glucose level this way. The oral medications seemed to have more potential for danger so I switched to insulin.

I have found that as time goes by it is a little more difficult to keep my glucose level where I would like it, but I think this is just the way it is. Now I have to watch what I eat more than in the past and have found that my weight has a big difference as to whether or not my blood sugar level is where it needs to be. I may have to start using oral medications, such as Actos.

Your father-in-law should be able to live a good life if he is careful to watch what he eats and how heavy he is.

The pharmaceutical industry is coming up with many alternatives which may add quality to the life of a diabetic in todays world.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.