Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:
Carlson wants to end legal immigration.

So do I, at least until we can get the illegal
immigrants gone and work on integrating the legal immigrants already here

It's already happening. Arguably faster than in previous waves of immigration, when immigrants tended to form enclaves because of discrimination.

which includes having all of them speak English.

For hundreds of years, many areas of Louisiana spoke French. What damage did that do to America? Modern immigrants are much, much more interested in learning English.

If they don't learn English in a reasonable period of time, they shouldn't be allowed to become a citizen and stay here.

Since the United States lacks an official language there's no legal basis for such a requirement. However, that's the goal of almost all immigrants:

• Successive generations of immigrants do learn English …
    Thirteen percent of Californian immigrant children ages 5 to 18 do not speak English well or at all. Second-generation children (with at least one parent born outside the U.S.) speak English at higher levels of fluency—only 4% do not speak English or do not speak it well. By the third generation (both parents born in the U.S.), all young people report that they speak English at least “well,” and the vast majority (96%) do not report speaking another language at home.
  • … and English language skills increase with time in the United States.
    Even Spanish speakers, the group most likely not to speak any English when they arrive in the U.S., gain English language skills after they have been in the U.S. for several years. For example, in 2000, 30% of immigrants who had arrived in the last 10 years and spoke Spanish at home reported that they did not speak English at all. Nine years later, only 20% of Spanish-speaking immigrants who had arrived 9 to 19 years earlier reported that they still did not speak English.
  • English language ability is correlated with educational attainment.
    Seventy-one percent of immigrants with college degrees speak English either exclusively or “very well.” Among immigrants with less than high school diplomas, only 12% speak English either exclusively or “very well,” and a high percentage (67%) speak English “not at all” (27%) or “not well” (40%).
  • The link between English proficiency and immigrant progress is widely recognized.
    Nearly all foreign-born Latinos (96%) say it is very important to teach English to the children of immigrant families. Yet a majority of Americans (62%) think recent immigrants do not learn English in a “reasonable” time frame. In California, public opinion surveys suggest that residents are willing to pay more to help immigrant children who are not proficient in English—73% favor providing extra assistance to improve the academic performance of English language learners.
http://www.ppic.org/publication/english-proficiency-of-immigrants/

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Cultural appropriation is trash. If you're an American citizen then you're an American, period. I don't go around calling myself a Scottish American...why, because I'm not Scottish, I've never been to Scotland (bucket list); I just have ancestors from Scotland. Even someone like Craig Feguson, who was born in Scotland, is not a Scottish American...he chose to leave his homeland behind and become an American. I say, pick one, you can't be both!

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Cultural appropriation is trash.

Tell Tucker Carlson. He thinks that Mexicans who tell him that tacos are Mexican are "appropriating" his culture. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, um?

I'm pleased to be Irish-American, but I can understand why people of Scottish descent don't want to be reminded of it. (WFTH-I)

• Haha
Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, as in most things there is some truth ... but tacos as Americans know and make them are NOT Mexican. The Mexican food does not have much more than cilantro. Taco salad was made in America. Burritos are small donkeys ... not food in Mexico.

When I visited Mexico there were no tacos nor burritos to eat, and they said they were not Mexican but American... (of course the corn meal and cilantro is Mexican.)

I don't understand a whole generation that needs to nit pick other people apart...

https://www.delish.com/food/g3984/foods-you-thought-were-mexican-but-arent/?slide=11

When you think of a taco, what ingredients come to mind? Meat, salsa, tortillas, cheddar cheese, and sour cream, right? Lo siento, but tacos in Mexico are not traditionally heavy on dairy. Don't worry: You can find tacos with cheese in them, but they're often called gringas (a common slang word to refer to female foreigners) in reference to the true origin of the taco + cheese combo. Toppings on REAL tacos in Mexico don't go far beyond some fresh cilanto and diced onion.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, as in most things there is some truth ... but tacos as Americans know and make them are NOT Mexican.

Tacos are Mexican, in the sense that pizza is Italian. Both of these are from other nations, but were adopted by Americans, who modified each of them somewhat.

When I visited Mexico there were no tacos nor burritos to eat

Mexico City taqueria, specializing in (of course) tacos.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7hEk6RsCRPY/Ul3YabahfqI/AAAAAAAAEDE/16VJSZe6iW8/s1600/04-IMG_6770.jpg

Don't know where you were in Mexico, but any urban area has lots of those. Tucker was just being obnoxious, because he's always trying to find fault with anyone he doesn't like.

I don't understand a whole generation that needs to nit pick other people apart..

I don't think he's representative of any group of normal Americans.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What an idiot.
"You can't appropriate my culture."

Um, Tucker, it's Mexican food. There is Tex-Mex, which is a blend of Mexican and Texan, but tacos are American only in the sense that many Americans are of Mexican heritage.
"American" is NOT just the USA.

Where is Mexico? In Asia? Africa? Europe?
No, Mexico is in AMERICA.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they don't learn English in a reasonable
period of time, they shouldn't be allowed
to become a citizen and stay here.
On the Lake Michigan shore of Michigan's lower peninsula, there is an area east and south of Grand Rapids where many Germans and Netherlands Dutch settled. They lived there since the 1800s and only in the 1970s did they start to speak english.

Many generations.
Born in the US.
Full citizens.
No english at all.

They spoke a mixture of pure German and Dutch.

And up in the upper peninsula, it was Swedish and Finnish.

"Say YA to da UP, eh?"

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope. "Melting pot" means people from other nations and cultures, coming to America and enriching our culture thereby.
When I was in highschool (circa 1970) they said the melting pot image was inaccurate and being replaced.
My teacher liked the "salad bowl" bowl image instead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I was in highschool (circa 1970) they said the melting pot image was inaccurate and being replaced.
My teacher liked the "salad bowl" bowl image instead.

It's always been that way. Hispanics have had their own culture in California, New Mexico, and Arizona before there was a United States. That particular culture is now American. Likewise Irish and Italian neighborhoods, German farming communities, and Cajun parishes, to just name a few. It's more like a stew with distinctive ingredients picking up flavors from each other, than it is like a homogenized pudding.

For which we should be very happy.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
On the Lake Michigan shore of Michigan's lower peninsula, there is an area east and south of Grand Rapids where many Germans and Netherlands Dutch settled. They lived there since the 1800s and only in the 1970s did they start to speak english.

Where I grew up, the old people still spoke what the called "low German." Anyone who thinks we formed a nation based on a common language, has no idea what it is to be an American.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
An Amish community?

No, a little town in eastern Iowa. The Amish did still speak German, and it wasn't too long ago that church sevices in the Amanas were still in German.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Many generations.
Born in the US.
Full citizens.
No english at all.

They spoke a mixture of pure German and Dutch.

And up in the upper peninsula, it was Swedish and Finnish.

"Say YA to da UP, eh?"

Well Duh, It's clearly ok for White Europeans not to have to learn English here... its those brown latin American folks who need to.

Everybody knows this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What an idiot.
"You can't appropriate my culture."

Um, Tucker, it's Mexican food. There is Tex-Mex, which is a blend of Mexican and Texan, but tacos are American only in the sense that many Americans are of Mexican heritage.

Actually if I’m not mistaken Peter saw tacos coming down on a white sheet in his dream. So tacos actually come from heaven that’s why they taste so good.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually if I’m not mistaken Peter saw tacos coming down on a white sheet in his dream.
No - it was perogies and pasties.

Upvote 0