Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What an idiot.
"You can't appropriate my culture."

Um, Tucker, it's Mexican food. There is Tex-Mex, which is a blend of Mexican and Texan, but tacos are American only in the sense that many Americans are of Mexican heritage.
I think what we eat and call tacos is American as is the pizza we eat.

I live in Texas and when I go to a real mom and pop Mexican restaurant tacos are not on the menu. The Tex Mex restaurants yes.

• Agree
Reactions: KevinC1129
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that was a joke . Tucker is quite keen on the American melting pot. That's what we called appropriation way back when .

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think what we eat and call tacos is American as is the pizza we eat.

Nope. Interestingly, they both originated in the same way. My dad was in Italy during the war. Bakers used a flat round of bread to test the temp of the ovens. They sold the resulting bread at a discount. Poor people would take it home and put whatever they had on it for a meal.

Likewise, corn tortillas (fresh and soft, not crunchy) were used as utensils to hold whatever one wanted to put into them. The word means something like "snack" in Mexico.

The Real History Of The Taco, In Case Tucker Carlson Forgot
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/history-of-tacos-tucker-carlson_us_5b76fb1ee4b018b93e93865f

I live in Texas and when I go to a real mom and pop Mexican restaurant tacos are not on the menu. The Tex Mex restaurants yes.

For the same reason you don't see pizzas on the menu in most restaurants in Italy, even though there are lots of pizzarias. Likewise, most restaurants in Mexico don't have tacos on the menu, although you can buy them from vendors on the street.
https://www.eater.com/2016/3/21/11237474/mexican-street-food-mexico-city-tacos

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that was a joke . Tucker is quite keen on the American melting pot.

He likes the Mexican tacos, but he wants fewer Mexican people. I don't think that's what "melting pot" means.

That's what we called appropriation way back when .

And here, I was thinking that lasagna, bratwurst, jumbalaya, kringle, and tacos were just cultural enrichment.

The contributions of each wave of immigration went far beyond food; that concept seems to be incomprehensible to Carlson. Like a lot of other things about America.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. Interestingly, they both originated in the same way. My dad was in Italy during the war. Bakers used a flat round of bread to test the temp of the ovens. They sold the resulting bread at a discount. Poor people would take it home and put whatever they had on it for a meal.

Likewise, corn tortillas (fresh and soft, not crunchy) were used as utensils to hold whatever one wanted to put into them. The word means something like "snack" in Mexico.

The Real History Of The Taco, In Case Tucker Carlson Forgot
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/history-of-tacos-tucker-carlson_us_5b76fb1ee4b018b93e93865f

For the same reason you don't see pizzas on the menu in most restaurants in Italy, even though there are lots of pizzarias. Likewise, most restaurants in Mexico don't have tacos on the menu, although you can buy them from vendors on the street.
https://www.eater.com/2016/3/21/11237474/mexican-street-food-mexico-city-tacos
Wow Tuckers comments really got you researching the history of tacos.

Is Taco Bell cultural appropriation?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He likes the Mexican tacos, but he wants fewer Mexican people. I don't think that's what "melting pot" means.

And here, I was thinking that lasagna, bratwurst, jumbalaya, kringle, and tacos were just cultural enrichment.

The contributions of each wave of immigration went far beyond food; that concept seems to be incomprehensible to Carlson. Like a lot of other things about America.
Do you have the quote where he said he wants fewer Mexicans? I have heard him say he is or legal immigration from all nations. He has said illegal immigration must be stopped. Do you see the difference there? He has no issues as an American citizen that people of all nations come here according to our immigration laws. He has issues with people breaking our laws.

I'm sure you can differentiate between the two views . Many can't but I'm hopeful you can.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you have the quote where he said he wants fewer Mexicans?

Did you listen to the clip? He wants to reduce immigration, legal or otherwise. "I think legal immigration should be lowered, because the country's getting too..."

I have heard him say he is or legal immigration from all nations. He has said illegal immigration must be stopped.

And he wants to throttle back legal immigration. Do you see the difference there? He has issues as a Fox News commentator, going a step further than that. He says that we need to reduce the number of people of all nations coming here according to our immigration laws. He has issues with legal immigration as it is today.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow Tuckers comments really got you researching the history of tacos.

I live in Texas. In most Texas cities, it's hard to avoid knowing about street tacos and their heritage. BTW, I prefer Tex-Mex for the same reason I prefer Norteno to traditional Mexican music; it's what I'm exposed to, mostly.

Is Taco Bell cultural appropriation?

About as much as Pizza Hut, P.F. Chang or Fado is cultural appropriation. (Barbarian checks) Turns out that Fado is Irish-owned, so maybe that's a bad example.

The point is that Tucker is an ignoramus, who actually thinks that tacos are an American food. There are "ethnic" foods that actually did originate in the United States, such as chili and General's Chicken (which was a flop when it was introduced in a restaurant in China).

But tacos aren't one of them. This goes to Carlson's tendency to shoot from the hip, pontificating on things he doesn't understand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,054.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given our lovely image situation, this may or may not show :D

But what type of tacos are we talking about?

536245_435146149908153_1618600983_n1.jpg

Link to image -> https://likeinmexico.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/536245_435146149908153_1618600983_n1.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Given our lovely image situation, this may or may not show :D

But what type of tacos are we talking about?

Carlson thinks Taco Bell is the real thing. Which I suppose they are in a sense. There is polish "pizza", after all.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married

What an idiot.

Um, Tucker, it's Mexican food. There is Tex-Mex, which is a blend of Mexican and Texan, but tacos are American only in the sense that many Americans are of Mexican heritage.
At least this is not so disgusting as Laura Ingram rant.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
At least this is not so disgusting as Laura Ingram rant.

Yes, Carlson is more genteel in his racism than Ingraham. And I suspect that he doesn't personally believe what he feeds his listeners. For him, I think, it's just business. Ingraham seems to be unable to control herself.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

It's exactly what melting pot means.
You leave your country behind when you become American.
You may add your culture to ours, but don't expect to rebuild your home country here.
There was a good reason you left it behind.
We don't want Mexicans living here.
We want them to become Americans legally or go home.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, Carlson is more genteel in his racism than Ingraham. And I suspect that he doesn't personally believe what he feeds his listeners. For him, I think, it's just business. Ingraham seems to be unable to control herself.

It seems racism today is in the ears of the beholder.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:

It's exactly what melting pot means.

Nope. "Melting pot" means people from other nations and cultures, coming to America and enriching our culture thereby.

You leave your country behind when you become American.

This is what seems to have Carlson upset; he wants to stop that.

You may add your culture to ours, but don't expect to rebuild your home country here.

No one ever wanted that. But they, like immigrants throughout our history, will rebuild America because of their contributions.

We don't want Mexicans living here.

Used to be "we don't want (Germans, Irish, Italians, Jews, etc) living here. That's how it's always been with a minority of Americans. But most of us welcome them.

We want them to become Americans legally or go home.

Too bad Carlson doesn't get that. he want to restrict legal immigration.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Barbarian observes:

Too bad Carlson doesn't get that. he want to restrict legal immigration.

So do I, at least until we can get the illegal
immigrants gone and work on integrating
the legal immigrants already here, which
includes having all of them speak English.
If they don't learn English in a reasonable
period of time, they shouldn't be allowed
to become a citizen and stay here.

Upvote 0