Trying to hear God and now what?

katylady82

Sep 18, 2009
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was lying in bed last night trying to hear God and be in tune with him. I had my eyes shut and was trying to picture him in front of me in my mind. All the sudden I got scared and had fear. I had a picture of Jesus in my mind and all of a sudden it he grew long teeth and lunged at me!!!! I was so frightened to even TRY to do this again and hear from him. Every time I tried I had bad thoughts and scary faces. It made me feel like I was all alone. I prayed that they go away in the name of Jesus... (like 5 times) it kept happening. But i kept trying to feel/hear God. finally after a few minutes my mind was blank and I just had darkness but I was not trying to picture God just listening and waiting to see him. WHAT is going on? I have never even tried this before but I really want to hear/see God and of visions from him. I don't want to stop but I am a little scared to try it again because of the bad things that i saw. what does this mean and how do i stop it!!! Is there something wrong with me? And what do you think about all this???

John1032

Mar 22, 2009
✟684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Katy,

When we try to do things in our mind, our brain, then we are working in Satan's area, because that is our battleground.

Try to work in your heart, and then you will begin to feel the presence of our Messiah.

It's not easy, and today there are many things that caused what you experienced, and those things are not allowed to be discussed on the forum.

Do you know a good mature Christian who you can talk to?:)

Reactions: SharonL
Upvote 0

kooolfriend

Turning ashes into beauty
Jul 5, 2004
✟2,115.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Katy, there is nothing wrong with you, it is that we all want to hear and see
God with our physical senses, but God is to be seen with our hearts. Yes, there's visions, dreams etc, but remember that whatever is fearful, scary or strange is not from God. It can be from yr own imagination or it can be even from Satan.
Do not seek after visions, but desire to draw near to Him, desire to get to know Him in your heart, intimately. Read the bible, the Word is life, and remember you can get to know God more than just having a vision or a dream. Remember relationship is not build on dreams and visions and feeling, it is build by communicating with Him more and more intimately.
God shall give you dreams and visions but in His times, He knows when the best, seek Him first and not visions or dreams, and all these things like dreams, visions shall follow...

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your logo tells it all - Christian seeker.

As stated above - the battleground of the enemy is our thinking. We are not responsible for the thoughts that just jump into our head - they are not our thoughts until we act on them.

The Bible says the the enemy is like a roaring lion, searching for someone to devour. What better way for the enemy than to make you think you are evil for thinking those thoughts (which were not your thoughts)

Just keep seeking Jesus - but not in visions, as stated above, in your heart.

Upvote 0

mercyreigns

Zetlander
Apr 20, 2009
Shetland Islands, Scotland
✟7,944.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
God gives visions, like giving a gift. You can't demand it of him and if you try and search Him out with your spirit, there will be plenty evil spirits willing to give you a vision, as you have discovered.
You can pray and ask God to give you dreams and visions, but it is better to seek the dream giver, than the dream.
Seek first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you.

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I was lying in bed last night trying to hear God and be in tune with him. I had my eyes shut and was trying to picture him in front of me in my mind. All the sudden I got scared and had fear. I had a picture of Jesus in my mind and all of a sudden it he grew long teeth and lunged at me!!!! I was so frightened to even TRY to do this again and hear from him. Every time I tried I had bad thoughts and scary faces. It made me feel like I was all alone. I prayed that they go away in the name of Jesus... (like 5 times) it kept happening. But i kept trying to feel/hear God. finally after a few minutes my mind was blank and I just had darkness but I was not trying to picture God just listening and waiting to see him. WHAT is going on? I have never even tried this before but I really want to hear/see God and of visions from him. I don't want to stop but I am a little scared to try it again because of the bad things that i saw. what does this mean and how do i stop it!!! Is there something wrong with me? And what do you think about all this???

Yikes!! What made you think that would work! ;)

Our minds are basically just computers, where we store the memories of things we have encountered. When we think of God as a spirit, we naturally expect to encounter Him in a non-physical, non-audible way; like something we would find in our minds. So yeah, the mind is a logical place to think we are going to find God. :thumbsup:

The only problem being, the mind can only work off of whatever input it has received. If you've encountered God in the past you can bring those memories back up; but if you haven't then the only thing your mind has to work off of is imagination. It takes the input from various sources and tries to conceive of what to expect from an encounter with God.

If your mind is pulling from horror movies in it's attempt to imagine what it would be like to encounter God, it doesn't reflect badly on you, really. It's just your mind doing it's thing. There are secular disciplines for controlling your mind and it's visualization processes... But what would that produce? Would you be happy if you could imagine a cool picture of Jesus in your head, and then control it and make him walk around saying and doing what you want him to do? I didn't think so! ;)

The goal here is to have a real encounter with Him. When He actually shows up, your mind doesn't have to imagine anything, because new input is being added while it happens. When we step out in faith to do the things that He has asked of us, He responds in real and tangible ways. This may or may not include visions or dreams that you see programmed directly into your mind -- like what you were looking in there hoping to see. But God relates to us in many different ways, so there's no guarantee that you will get that particular method.

God Bless :thumbsup:

Upvote 0