Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The explain your belief for me.
How do you view 1 John 1:8?
Do you not believe you will always sin as part of what this verse says?
Do you not believe you are saved without works and holiness and that is just by having a belief on Jesus?
Can such thinking not lead people into treating God's grace as a license to sin?
I believe it can.

Any line of thinking unchecked will lead one astray in some direction or another. Of course I will always have some kind of forgiveable sin on or about me until i am in heaven, resurrected, or glorified.
Good works and holiness are post-salvation deeds that will be rewarded IN heaven, not help you get there. Getting there is by mercy alone. That's one of the many reasons I'm no longer Catholic, or any kind of catholicized protestant.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Any line of thinking unchecked will lead one astray in some direction or another. Of course I will always have some kind of forgiveable sin on or about me until i am in heaven, resurrected, or glorified.
Good works and holiness are post-salvation deeds that will be rewarded IN heaven, not help you get there. Getting there is by mercy alone. That's one of the many reasons I'm no longer Catholic, or any kind of catholicized protestant.

Well, I am strongly against Catholicism, and I also do not believe their Soteriology is the same as what I believe the Bible teaches, either. They do many things that cannot clearly be found in the New Testament.

Anyways, salvation is a person named Jesus Christ. We abide in Him and His words for life. If we do not abide in Christ, then there is no life (See 1 John 5:12 cf. 1 John 2:3-6). But do not kid yourself, my friend. Works is a part of the salvation process. For if we abide in Christ (Who is life), then there will be evidence of the fruit thereof.

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).
"Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." (James 2:17).
"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).
"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, "
(1 Timothy 6:3-4).
"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).
"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).
"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).
"If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha." (1 Corinthians 16:22).
"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).
"Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).
"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).
"For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).
"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (Romans 6:1-2).
"...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17).

And there are of course many more verses like these, as well.

Oh, and here some verses on the error of Christians saying they cannot walk uprightly, too:

Jesus says,

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16).

Jesus also says,

"You give glory to my Father when you produce a lot of fruit and therefore show that you are my disciples." (John 15:8 GW).

And Peter says,

"Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world." (1 Peter 2:12 NLT).

Paul says,

"That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" (Philippians 2:15).

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0