Trump v Broadcast Licenses

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Please don't act like censorship of broadcasters is new. It has been ongoing for at least half a century. Trump is merely the latest president to attempt to use it for his own purposes.

Make you a deal: We won't act like it's new, and you don't act like it's right.

We good?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
LOL, they've mostly had their henchmen do the job instead.

Citation needed.

As I pointed out earlier, the fairness doctrine was one such blatant attempt which forced radical changes in broadcast station operation. Any station which failed to meet the Democrat's "fairness doctrine" was threatened with license revocation.

Citation needed.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL, they've mostly had their henchmen do the job instead.

As I pointed out earlier, the fairness doctrine was one such blatant attempt which forced radical changes in broadcast station operation. Any station which failed to meet the Democrat's "fairness doctrine" was threatened with license revocation. The result was near-universal compliance on the part of broadcasters.

Please don't act like censorship of broadcasters is new. It has been ongoing for at least half a century. Trump is merely the latest president to attempt to use it for his own purposes.
News you can use:
Fairness Doctrine

Equal Time Rule

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

:oldthumbsup:

From your reference ...

Although similar laws are unconstitutional when applied to the press, the Court cited a Senate report (S. Rep. No. 562, 86th Cong., 1st Sess., 8-9 [1959]) stating that radio stations could be regulated in this way because of the limited public airwaves at the time. Writing for the Court, Justice Byron White declared:

“ A license permits broadcasting, but the licensee has no constitutional right to be the one who holds the license or to monopolize a radio frequency to the exclusion of his fellow citizens. There is nothing in the First Amendment which prevents the Government from requiring a licensee to share his frequency with others.... It is the right of the viewers and listeners, not the right of the broadcasters, which is paramount.

It was this thinking in the extreme which led to this ...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
History indicates that Democrats have never thought it was wrong.

Your whimsical history is trumped (pun intended) by current events. You still don't think it's wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Your whimsical history is trumped (pun intended) by current events. You still don't think it's wrong.
It's always interesting when one side only sees it wrong when their opposition uses their ploy against them.

For the record, I'm already on record disagreeing with Trump on this ... and other actions. Try to keep up, instead of making erroneous accusations.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Trump actually did it though, not permanently but still...

White House blocks CNN, other news organizations from press briefing

And wanted to jail reporters:

Perspective | Trump’s wish to jail reporters is more than possible. Ask his international friends.

Your articles pointed out Obama was criticized from the right and the left. Few people if any on the right have criticized Trump regarding anything.

That's not entirely true. There's a list of prominent Republicans who have criticized Trump.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's always interesting when one side only sees it wrong when their opposition uses their ploy against them.

For the record, I'm already on record disagreeing with Trump on this ... and other actions. Try to keep up, instead of making erroneous accusations.
It was fairly obvious Your agenda was to do so as an opportunity to do the “Obama!”, “Democrats!” schtick.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
We already think it's wrong. Why don't you?

Up until last year I heard people on the left bemoaning the lack of the Fairness Doctrine. I guess the switch got flipped at the same time the opinion on drone strikes and wars got changed as well?

*edit* While I don't ascribe the '4D chess' nonsense to Trump, I can suddenly see why his supporters might think that. He makes a comment similar to the position the Democrats have been holding and suddenly they become enlightened.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Up until last year I heard people on the left bemoaning the lack of the Fairness Doctrine. I guess the switch got flipped at the same time the opinion on drone strikes and wars got changed as well?

*edit* While I don't ascribe the '4D chess' nonsense to Trump, I can suddenly see why his supporters might think that. He makes a comment similar to the position the Democrats have been holding and suddenly they become enlightened.
We have always approved of preemptive military strikes and drone warfare. We have always been at war with Oceana.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
We have always approved of preemptive military strikes and drone warfare. We have always been at war with Oceana.

Well, their last candidate did say "We came, we saw, he died" followed by a healthy dose of cackling.

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

As it does every election cycle.

Of course, I don't see anything in the Fairness Doctrine about yanking the license of networks which fail to genuflect properly... but I suppose the rules get re-written every election cycle as well.

And suddenly you're going to pretend it doesn't happen every 4-8 years like clockwork... Why, I remember the first time Obama threatened to pull a network's FCC license... oh, wait...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Did you read the OP?

Yep -- this part (your agreement, ICYMI) was especially noteworthy:

Democrats have since that time repeatedly attacked talk-radio stations and had success doing so. Trump would seem to have a valid argument that "lies" broadcast over FCC regulated airwaves are hardly in the public interest. While broadcasters certainly have 1st amendment rights, the 1st amendment does not guarantee them license renewal. Just the way it is. The history in the country is that broadcasters do lose their licenses when they fail to operate "in the public interest".

So I'll ask again: who changed your mind?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yep -- this part (your agreement, ICYMI) was especially noteworthy:

So I'll ask again: who changed your mind?
I said he had a valid argument according to long established Democrat practice.

I didn't say I agreed with Trump ... and I explicitly said I disagreed in subsequent posts.

Remember that I disagree with many long-established Democrat practices. I was pointing out that the left's own argument supports Trump's position.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I said he had a valid argument according to long established Democrat practice.

I didn't say I agreed with Trump ... and I explicitly said I disagreed in subsequent posts.

Remember that I disagree with many long-established Democrat practices. I was pointing out that the left's own argument supports Trump's position.

Obama criticizes news networks -- Donald threatens their licenses... moral equivalence. Got it.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0