Trump v Broadcast Licenses

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I do! Strangely enough, I don't recall him threatening to shut them down. And how do we know that NBC isn't acting in the public interest, in the first place? Seriously, what has NBC done that is enough to consider yanking some affiliate's license?

They dared to make Donald Trump look bad.

I'm reminded of a quote from Game of Thrones:

Tyrion+Lannister.png

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,943.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Isn't NBC the network that Trump was on for years as a game show host?
Your right! Clearly then the licence should be withdrawn , irrefutable evidence of them broadcasting lies!

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Fox News is not broadcast over-the-air, hence the FCC has no authority over them.
But you equated threats to pull a network's licenses with criticism. The president is free to criticize a broadcast network all he wants, but threatening to take away their license because you do not like what they broadcast is needless to say, problematic.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
But you equated threats to pull a network's licenses with criticism. The president is free to criticize a broadcast network all he wants, but threatening to take away their license because you do not like what they broadcast is needless to say, problematic.
I'm glad to see that so many here now agree with you.

Nevertheless, it remains true that broadcast stations are required to operate in the "public interest" ... and persistent demonstrable LYING is probably not in the best interest of the public, a matter which the FCC has made clear in past license revocations.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Nevertheless, it remains true that broadcast stations are required to operate in the "public interest" ... and persistent demonstrable LYING is probably not in the best interest of the public, a matter which the FCC has made clear in past license revocations.
There is no demonstrable lying, which is why no moves will be taken to revoke any licenses. The sad thing about 45 is that more people are starting to see how weak he is with all his grandiose bluffing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The increase in Trump’s blustering makes me more inclined to think the NBC reporting has some basis.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, he shouldn't do that. That'd be akin to the stuff the IRS was pulling last time around.
You mean keeping poor Mr. Trump from releasing his returns?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Haha
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Mean old IRS. Targeted conservatives and kept poor Mr. Trump from being able to let America see his returns. Bad IRS, bad agency. Go sit in the corner until you can behave.

Yeah, I'm sure you wouldn't sound like an angry frog if the IRS started targeting progressive organizations.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for highlighting the difference between over-the-air broadcast networks, whose shows are in fact regulated by the government, and the cable-only networks which retain an absolute 1st amendment right.
The FCC doesn't license networks at all - only individual stations. Some Fox stations are, in fact, broadcast, and some NBC stations are over cable, satellite and internet.

The FCC routinely revokes broadcast licenses. The following link documents 32 broadcast license revocations and alludes to there being many more.

How to lose your station’s FCC license
Really? Whose licenses were revoked exactly? TV or radio? It's behind a pay wall, so I don't know - do you?

One might note that "LYING" figures prominently into documented revocations.
One might note that or one might not - without access to the actual document - who knows?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I'm sure you wouldn't sound like an angry frog if the IRS started targeting progressive organizations.
I can’t think of one that I care much about.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No, he shouldn't do that. That'd be akin to the stuff the IRS was pulling last time around.
I agree that he shouldn't. But, he did ... and some history is on his side.

I just mostly wanted to hear folks here agree ... because it means that what Democrats have been doing for decades is wrong. Democrats were behind the "fairness doctrine" citing that as "in the public interest", thereby overtly threatening to pull the license of any station deemed not in compliance with the fairness doctrine. Democrats were behind the license revocation of WLBT-TV fifty years ago and Democrats have repeatedly attacked talk radio using the FCC with varying degrees of success.

Couldn't think of a better way to get the message across that if one doesn't want one's favored institutions attacked, then one really shouldn't attack those of others.

• Agree
Reactions: elliott95
Upvote 0