Trump v Broadcast Licenses

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They dared to make Donald Trump look bad.

I'm reminded of a quote from Game of Thrones:

Tyrion+Lannister.png

That's why I see Donald as Joffrey...

tumblr_n5d186jkKG1tuwbfjo1_1280.jpg

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
That's why I see Donald as Joffrey...

tumblr_n5d186jkKG1tuwbfjo1_1280.jpg

Well, he's not THAT bad.

Yet.

I'd actually compare him more to Joffrey's 'father', Robert Baratheon. Loud, boisterous, quick-to-anger, good at getting himself on the Iron Throne, not that good at actually ruling from it, eager to go to war, a notorious womanizer. The main difference is that Robert probably had a much better approval rating. Plus, Robert had the wisdom to KNOW he was bad at ruling, and tried to get smarter people to do it in his stead.

Upvote 0

szechuan

Jun 20, 2011
✟59,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Well, he's not THAT bad.

Yet.

I'd actually compare him more to Joffrey's 'father', Robert Baratheon. Loud, boisterous, quick-to-anger, good at getting himself on the Iron Throne, not that good at actually ruling from it, eager to go to war, a notorious womanizer. The main difference is that Robert probably had a much better approval rating. Plus, Robert had the wisdom to KNOW he was bad at ruling, and tried to get smarter people to do it in his stead.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He tried to get them excluded from the WH Pressers and interviews :

White House Targeted Fox News

And secretly monitored reporters :
Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration: court documents

Trump actually did it though, not permanently but still...

White House blocks CNN, other news organizations from press briefing

And wanted to jail reporters:

Perspective | Trump’s wish to jail reporters is more than possible. Ask his international friends.

Your articles pointed out Obama was criticized from the right and the left. Few people if any on the right have criticized Trump regarding anything.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Your articles pointed out Obama was criticized from the right and the left. Few people if any on the right have criticized Trump regarding anything.

They don't dare for fear or retaliation.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Trump Threatens NBC License

President Donald Trump denied ever calling for a bigger U.S. nuclear arsenal and questioned whether FCC licenses should be taken from NBC television stations after the network published a story on Wednesday saying he had done so in a meeting with military and security officials.

“It’s frankly disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write and people should want to look into it,” Trump told reporters as he met at the White House with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Trump’s denial was backed up by a statement by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis. “Recent reports that the President called for an increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal are absolutely false,” Mattis said. “This kind of erroneous reporting is irresponsible.”

Just to set the record straight, broadcasters are required to operate "in the public interest". According to reports I've read, NBC is licensed to operate 28 television stations, mostly in the largest markets in the country.

About 50 years ago the FCC revoked the license of the most watched television station in Mississippi for political reasons. The FCC cited the reason as "public interest" of course but it was political and the license was immediately re-issued to a group with strong Democrat political affiliations.

Curiously, the station which had its license revoked was the NBC affiliate.

Democrats have since that time repeatedly attacked talk-radio stations and had success doing so. Trump would seem to have a valid argument that "lies" broadcast over FCC regulated airwaves are hardly in the public interest. While broadcasters certainly have 1st amendment rights, the 1st amendment does not guarantee them license renewal. Just the way it is. The history in the country is that broadcasters do lose their licenses when they fail to operate "in the public interest".

Is most interesting how the Republican party running racist Southern Strategy moved those Dems over to Republican side. And Trump is Republican. So in reality is same Republican group trying to take away freedom of press. Not surprising from Trump. Not surprising many of his supporters agree.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Who is to say they aren't ?

From where I stand, ... it's Trump's word vs. NBC.

Kind of a standoff, at best ...

Given Donald's history with his word, I'd trust NBC.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The FCC continually determines for each broadcast licensee whether that licensee is operating in the "public interest". That is a big part of the FCC's job.
What other regimes have been/are big on censorship? No thanks.
What human is qualified to tell the whole country what is in 'their interest'? None.

It always amazes me when conservatives condone censorship of any kind. We go on and on about the Constitution but then think it is perfectly OK to abandon those rights that the Founders knew were most important for a free people; the rights that were written to protect us from an out of control government.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Democrats were behind the license revocation of WLBT-TV fifty years ago and Democrats have repeatedly attacked talk radio using the FCC with varying degrees of success.
You know as well as I do that the southern Democrats and the southern Republicans were a whole different animal fifty years ago than those parties are today.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He tried to get them excluded from the WH Pressers and interviews :

White House Targeted Fox News
They tried it in 2009 but the other networks weren't having any of it. They knew if they did, it could be them next.
From the article....
But the investigation into Rosen has sparked a rare thing in Washington: bipartisan outrage over what some are calling "Obama's war on journalism."

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
They tried it in 2009 but the other networks weren't having any of it. They knew if they did, it could be them next.

From the article....
But the investigation into Rosen has sparked a rare thing in Washington: bipartisan outrage over what some are calling "Obama's war on journalism."

I am aware. This is not about defending Trump, which I have already said that he is wrong for this, it is about correcting a statement on history. Plus, I am constantly attacked for saying that I consider Trump and Obama to be two sides of the same coin, and here's another example of why I say that.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am aware. This is not about defending Trump, which I have already said that he is wrong for this, it is about correcting a statement on history. Plus, I am constantly attacked for saying that I consider Trump and Obama to be two sides of the same coin, and here's another example of why I say that.
I am also aware and didn't think you were defending Trump anymore than I am defending Obama. My post was just to point out a couple of things from those articles that I found especially encouraging in the responses to the Obama admin.'s behaviors. You know that many people don't read the articles that are posted.

• Friendly
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, I'm sure you wouldn't sound like an angry frog if the IRS started targeting progressive organizations.
Nothing to worry about. If reports are to be believed, they're pretty busy working with Meuller's team investigating the Trump campaign's various issues.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I just mostly wanted to hear folks here agree ... because it means that what Democrats have been doing for decades is wrong.

Democratic presidents have been threatening to pull network licenses for reports unfavorable to them? Do tell!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Democratic presidents have been threatening to pull network licenses for reports unfavorable to them? Do tell!
LOL, they've mostly had their henchmen do the job instead.

As I pointed out earlier, the fairness doctrine was one such blatant attempt which forced radical changes in broadcast station operation. Any station which failed to meet the Democrat's "fairness doctrine" was threatened with license revocation. The result was near-universal compliance on the part of broadcasters.

Please don't act like censorship of broadcasters is new. It has been ongoing for at least half a century. Trump is merely the latest president to attempt to use it for his own purposes.

Reactions: elliott95
Upvote 0