Trump: NBC, CNN should have ‘licenses or whatever’ pulled for not airing Iowa speech

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No one has to disclose any lies. The left wing media lies through their teeth all the time. But my way they don't have do anything except admit and be open and honest about who and what they support and quit pretending they are neutral. Cause what happens is they pretend they are neutral people buy it and think they are. So just be honest and then you can say whatever you like. They do anyway, just be open about it.
A sort of reverse “prior-restraint”?

Editor: Great story, but we can’t run it because it’s too righty, we’ve declared lefty. See if you can sell it to FoxNews?

A government requiring media companies to self-declare what their focus is and where their biases lay is anathema to a “free press”.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
IMO, news is a business. Its main purpose, like most businesses, is to make money. It has a distant side purpose of entertainment.

If one wants to learn about political topics that are important to them, then seek information from sources such as Tropical Wilds mentioned.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,567.00
Faith
Pentecostal
A sort of reverse “prior-restraint”?

Editor: Great story, but we can’t run it because it’s too righty, we’ve declared lefty. See if you can sell it to FoxNews?

A government requiring media companies to self-declare what their focus is and where their biases lay is anathema to a “free press”.
The editor could do that now. And they probably do. Self declaring wouldn't stop them from doing anything they do now. Except it would clearly declair to everyone where they are coming from. There wouldn't be any requirement they print or don't print anything. But this way they couldn't try and fool people into thinking they are unbiased and fair.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The editor could do that now. And they probably do. Self declaring wouldn't stop them from doing anything they do now. Except it would clearly declair to everyone where they are coming from. There wouldn't be any requirement they print or don't print anything. But this way they couldn't try and fool people into thinking they are unbiased and fair.
But “self-declaring” necessarily limits the declarer to stay within bounds that don’t actually exist until the declaration is made, so why “self-declare” in the first place?
Cute notion, silly idea overall.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve seen plenty, actually, and they’re given more than 30 seconds.

I absolutely promise you that I do more research into candidates than 99.9999% of people. When I want information on them, I go to their websites, I stream/watch their debates, attend or stream their stump speeches, look up their town hall interactions, or write/email their campaign where almost 100% of the time, I get a reply from a rep who answers my question. If they have been in office already, I pull their voting records, look up their speeches, read what their peers say about them, see what their district/residents have to say… If you want that level of information, it’s your job to seek it. It is not the news’s job to provide it to you. They report on all things, not a singular deep dive on every candidate running in an election. It would simply be impossible.

What you are doing is tantamount to complaining that car commercials don’t give you all the details on the car they’re advertising. The commercial conveys they have cars, it’s up to you to research if the car they have is the one that you want.

And for all you say the victory speeches don’t matter, the thing you’re complaining wasn’t aired was a victory pontification, not a stump speech.

You can’t say “the news has the responsibility to hand me all this information” and “the media is biased” in the same breath. They are conflicting ideals. If they are biased, requesting information means you’re receiving unsatisfactory information. You can’t say “I get bad information from the news” and “why don’t they give me more information?”

The function of the news is to give a broad overhead of all current events with maybe a deeper dive on one or two stories of particular interest. Anything more detailed, you seek out yourself. It’s not the news’s job to do your thinking for you.

Every time I hear the “media is biased” or “information is suppressed,” I think of my friend who fled Russia. He gets a huge chuckle out of it and says Americans literally have no clue what suppressed information and news is. To him, suppressed information would be “is Trump even running because there’s nothing about it in the media, online, and on social media.” Not seeing one segment of one thing one candidate did on prime time, but still having it widely and freely available online would not be suppressed information, lol.
It is interesting to see different versions of the same news.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I can believe his supporters are willing to make this into an issue. Seriously. Relax. You get angry at his critics for being obssessed over him but y'all fight all his stupid battles for him. it's so weird.

Just because they don't televise his every word, doesn't mean the commie propagandists.

Upvote 0