• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Trump to military: how fast can you pull nukes out of storage and load them onto bombers and subs?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by essentialsaltes, Sep 29, 2020.

1. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+15,548
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Sleep tight.

The Trump administration has asked the military to assess how quickly it could pull nuclear weapons out of storage and load them onto bombers and submarines if an arms control treaty with Russia is allowed to expire in February.

Russia in December offered to extend the treaty without preconditions.

The request to U.S. Strategic Command in Nebraska is part of a strategy to pressure Moscow into renegotiating the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty before the U.S. presidential election, the people said.

But former senior arms control and military officials also consider the move a risky gambit. It could send a message that the Trump administration, which has already pulled out of two other nuclear-related treaties with Russia, is no longer interested in any limits on the world’s largest arsenals. And it could goad the Russians into taking similar steps.

“It’s very stupid,” added a former GOP arms control official who declined to be identified because he still advises the government. “It makes absolutely no sense to threaten to upload. It becomes a valid leveraging point only if the other side can’t do it. The Russians can do it, too.

Trump still seemingly doesn't understand that tit-for-tat is the easiest play in the book. His 'art of the deal' failed with China, failed with North Korea...

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+7,440
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    All part off his electoral promise to Make America Glow Again!

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+6,533
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Nuclear weapons. Not an issue to be trifled with. And it seems like Trump trifles with everything rather than taking things seriously and devoting enduring effort.

I'm more sensitive to the ongoing threat they pose to the world since visiting the Atomic Bomb Museum and Memorial in Nagasaki last year. I highly recommend a visit, and to Nagasaki generally, which is a fun and fascinating city.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+4,101
    Christian
    They shouldn't even be there in the first place. But we knew that.

One day, the world will elect emotionally intelligent leaders who are well rehearsed in conversational conflict resolution.

And on that same day, I'll fly to the moon for breakfast and meet the queen.

5. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+2,635
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Quick! Give that man a NOBEL Peace Prize!

6. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+2,654
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    How much was that bomb shelter again honey?

:argh:

7. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+10,497
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Моя семья ошибалась. Мне говорили что это безполезно учить Русский язык. По их словам, холодная война окончена. Нет, товарищи -- только приостановлено.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,473
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    They should not use these weapons.

9. Trogdor the Burninator

Trogdor the Burninator Senior Veteran

+1,550
    Christian
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+9,882
    Atheist
    Private
    Seems consistent with his predilections :Scarborough: Trump asked adviser why US can't use nuclear weapons

“Several months ago, a foreign policy expert went to advise Donald Trump,” Scarborough said. “And three times he asked about the use of nuclear weapons — three times he asked. At one point, ‘If we have them, why can’t we use them?’”

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Arc F1

Arc F1 Let the righteous man arise from slumber Supporter

+1,358
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Seems like a legit question. The only mistake I see is someone publishing it for all to see.

12. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+16,426
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    I used to live in a house that had a crude bomb shelter that was built during the height of the Cold War. It leaked whenever it rained.

13. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+7,693
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    If there is a nuclear exchange I would rather be at ground zero, unprotected. The world that remained afterward would not be worth living in.

14. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+4,072
    Christian
    Married
    I was thinking about this today and, after last nights debate, a thought occurred to me; that Trump removing us from the various nuclear treaties is part of his vision of "MAGA." Trump recalls the US in the 50s and 60s, how we were unrivaled militarily, we had the big nuclear bombs and could "make the world cower" before us.

I thought of one of Sid Meier's old Civilization games that I would play on the PC. In that version, when a leader developed and built a nuclear weapon, if you started a negotiation with him he would start by saying something like, "cower before us, as we have nuclear weapons." I sincerely suspect this is Trump's idea that, in his mind, having the most powerful military and nukes will make world leaders respect him; rather than laugh and make fun of him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  15. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+15,548
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Trump's stupid gambit has failed, predictably. He could have gotten the same deal; instead he got no deal.

Russia dismisses Trump administration efforts to secure nuclear arms deal before election

Moreover, Ryabkov said that the US would not get an agreement on strategic arms control from Moscow in the run-up to the election.

"If the Americans need to report to their superiors something about allegedly reaching an agreement with the Russian Federation before their elections, then they will not get it," he said.