United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trump to travel to Southern border Thursday, Sarah Sanders says

President Trump announced that he will address the nation on Tuesday night before traveling later in the week to the U.S.-Mexico border, as he seeks to highlight border security and presses Democrats for wall funding amid the protracted standoff that triggered a partial government shutdown now stretching into its 17th day.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi MM,

I knew the networks had been working on finding a replacement for Archie Bunker. Who knew they'd find such entertaining programming of a lying blowhard in the WH.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

President Trump announced that he will address the nation on Tuesday night before traveling later in the week to the U.S.-Mexico border, as he seeks to highlight border security and presses Democrats for wall funding amid the protracted standoff that triggered a partial government shutdown now stretching into its 17th day.

Of course it will be just a spewing of the falsehoods and lies for his cult base … even some more objective minds on fox realize this: https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-ch...WmY-GNAdt5bH9GTi6Y2enaVkOlIMogoIGpkq009br-Gok

Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi MM,

I knew the networks had been working on finding a replacement for Archie Bunker. Who knew they'd find such entertaining programming of a lying blowhard in the WH.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Some will not listen to the truth.
M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I suppose there is a high likelihood that he's going to declare a national emergency and receive some emergency powers so he can bypass the legislative process.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suppose there is a high likelihood that he's going to declare a national emergency and receive some emergency powers so he can bypass the legislative process.

For the Trump supporters that believe this will be ok (if this is indeed what happens), then I suppose they will be ok with it when a Democrat President does it as well at some point in the future?

I mean, what else could conceivably be considered a National Emergency? Student debt? Health care? Racism? Inequality?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some will not listen to the truth.
M-Bob

Hi MM,

I absolutely, unequivocally agree with that statement. I rather imagine that the basic difference between my understanding of that statement and yours, is the understanding of who exactly 'some' would be referring to.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi yedcidmij,

You posted:
I mean, what else could conceivably be considered a National Emergency? Student debt? Health care? Racism? Inequality?

That was pretty much the point I made on another thread about this subject. If we honestly believe, as a nation of people, that this is what is to be considered a 'national emergency' where we should suspend the normal and regular legislative processes to address the issue, what then will we accept in the future as a 'valid' reason to suspend our normal governmental operations of out legislative bodies?

Abortion? Should we suspend all the laws of the various states and their respective legislative processes and of our national government so that one person can decide how we're going to deal with abortion?

Healthcare? Thousands upon thousands of people are decrying the poor state of our healthcare system. Does that qualify now as an issue whereby we should suspend the normal operation of our legislative body so that one person can decide for the nation what's the best way to deal with healthcare?

Racism? Suppose somewhere down the road some grand wizard of the KKK gets elected to the office of president and decides that how white people are being downtrodden is an issue for which we should suspend the normal operation of government so that one man can decide for the nation how we're going to deal with such a problem.

So, for me, this sets a very, very dangerous precedent for a sitting president to think that he can overrule the desires of a nation of people by invoking 'national emergency'.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
If Trump couldn't convince the Republicans to finance his wall during the last 2 years, despite holding the majority in both the House and the Senate, what makes him think that the Democrats would bankroll his signature promise?

In January 2018, the Democrats offered $25 billion for the wall in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for the "Dreamers," the GREAT NEGOTIATOR succumbed to the pressure from the conservative media and in his infinite wisdom, declined their offer!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Though he didn't do it last night, this still seems to me like the most likely outcome. Trump and the Democrats in the House have to find some sort of agreement where Trump can say he got his wall and Democrats can say they didn't give him his wall. A "fence" or "barrier" doesn't seem to do that as that would be seen as Trump building a wall by another name. Likewise, funds for "boarder security" without explicit funding for a wall would be seen as Trump not getting a wall. I don't think either side can afford, at least in their minds, to be seen as giving in and "losing."

So the only way where both sides will be able to claim victory would be if Trump declares a national emergency. Trump will have the wall and the Democrats will be able to say they didn't give it to him.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
If Trump couldn't convince the Republicans to finance his wall during the last 2 years, despite holding the majority in both the House and the Senate, what makes him think that the Democrats would bankroll his signature promise?

In January 2018, the Democrats offered $25 billion for the wall in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for the "Dreamers," the GREAT NEGOTIATOR succumbed to the pressure from the conservative media and in his infinite wisdom, declined their offer!
Trump made the same mistake that Obama did. Each one failed to address the immigration issue in their first year in office, when they has the most political capital to spend.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi jgarden,

I agree. The democrats know that President Trump isn't really much of a negotiator. As you say, they offered to sit down with him once and try to negotiate some concession from him for a concession from them and he refused to even sit down with them and discuss it. I think they see that as being pretty much the same thing that will happen here. He just wants what he wants and isn't willing to make any concessions on his part for what he wants. That's not really how 'negotiations' are generally understood.

Personally, and I feel terrible for the government workers that are caught up in the middle of all of this, the longer the government is shut down, I think, the better the chances that he won't be re-elected. For me, his administration, and the way he personally operates, has done some fairly serious damage to the office of the President of the United States of America. I think it will be refreshing for all Americans to put someone back in the office that we can reasonably expect to be honest with us.

I think we may not even yet fully understand all the damage to our country that is caused by having a leader that pretty much no one can trust that he's dealing honestly with others. The continued and ceaseless factual lies that are being used to support his positions and agendas and ideas and understandings. This sets a very, very bad precedent for the next president and may even cause damage further down the road than that to the credibility of the office of the United States presidency. Our own allies are beginning to understand that the United States of America can no longer be trusted to be the grown up in the room.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,720.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a Shakespearean soliloquoy in Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5 that describes almost everything Trump says...and last night's speech in particular.

“ a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

The president doesn't want negotiation. He wants capitulation. Fortunately it seems as if most Americans understand that this is Trump's shutdown and that only he can end it.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a Shakespearean soliloquoy in Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5 that describes almost everything Trump says...and last night's speech in particular.

“ a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

The president doesn't want negotiation. He wants capitulation. Fortunately it seems as if most Americans understand that this is Trump's shutdown and that only he can end it.

Patrick Stewart delivered that scene best:

Upvote 0