St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I cannot speak to that the history in that one state, but you have badly misrepresented the matter. Across the nation, Republicans have tried to quash voting fraud by having election inspectors require voters to produce some scintilla of personal identification. And by the way, that policy is routine in some states and has been so for quite a while, so it's not as though this is some new gimmick.

The Democrats, not wanting checks on fraudulent voting, immediately charge "voter suppression." But an honest look at the specifics dispels that notion. When courts have been reluctant to allow such laws, those Republican legislators have bent over back to accommodate the poor, the uneducated, the disadvantaged who might find what's ordinary for most voters to be (allegedly) difficult for them.

Cannot afford a picture ID and do not have one already, such as a Driver's License? OK, the county will pay for it. Sorry, say the Democrats. That's voter suppression.

Cannot get to the clerk's office in order to have the picture taken? OK, the county will come to you. Sorry, say the Democrats. That's voter suppression.

Anything that would permit even a reasonable guess at the identify of the person standing in front of the election inspector is opposed.

But wait. The Democratic lawmakers are strongly in favor of giving Drivers' licenses to illegal immigrants, however--with a picture! Conclusion: the right to vote isn't as important as the right to drive.
You can't speak to the history of that one state, so instead you speak about another planet altogether?

• Winner
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You know that's not true. I twice made a point of agreeing with those posts of yours which were at least made to appear to be above partisanship.
You agreed, then tacked on a partisan comment. You are being disingenuous.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can't speak to the history of that one state, so instead you speak about another planet altogether?
"Another planet?" The state in question wasn't identified, but I spoke of legislative initiatives that have taken place in a number of states and which present a common picture of which party wanted what to be done and the reaction they got from the other party.

Can you speak to the history of that one state without knowing which one it is? If so, I'm impressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"Another planet?" The state in question wasn't identified, but I spoke of legislative initiatives that have taken place in a number of states and which present a common picture of which party wanted what to be done and the reaction they got from the other party.

Can you speak to the history of that one state without knowing which one it is? If so, I'm impressed.

Give us a specific example please of a Republican state bending over backwards to help the poor and minorities to get voting ID.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

I can speak to the procedures in my own state. In order to commit the kind of voter fraud that ID laws are supposed to prevent, I would have to do several things:
1. Identify a person who was registered to vote but not likely to vote in that election.
2. Make sure that individual was not personally known to the election officials or poll watchers.
3. Be able to reproduce that person's signature to the satisfaction of the election official, without being able to see ahead of time the signature it was being compared to.

Compared to that, the effort of getting a good enough fake ID seems trivial.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I believe it. However, it wasn't YOUR state that we were talking about.
Yes, but it speaks to the issue of why some of us think that requiring a particular kind of ID card at the polling place is rather silly and suspect that there might be something more behind it than a altruistic desire for voting security.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Republican Party would still be able to win if voting laws made it easy for people to vote! All they would have to do is have a platform that represented the people instead of big business :)

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am simply saying that it should require a drivers license or voter ID (for those without a DL). It takes nothing more than proof of residency (a couple of bills) and a birth certificate. Simple... easy peasy and we know who voted and it removes the dead from voting or from having people vote multiple times.
Except it's not always that simple. My great-aunt was an American citizen (born in Pennsylvania), but had no birth certificate because her parents never kept a copy and the county records office burned down when she was a child. There was absolutely no way for her to get a replacement.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Except it's not always that simple. My great-aunt was an American citizen (born in Pennsylvania), but had no birth certificate because her parents never kept a copy and the county records office burned down when she was a child. There was absolutely no way for her to get a replacement.
You're replying to a post that pointed out that the proposals calling for ID do not require a birth certificate.

The recent attempts in various state legislatures have proposed accepting much more common forms of identification than just birth certificates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James4Christ 777

Oct 28, 2019
Monterey
✟6,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Then the GOP needs to find better candidates if they want to win those states.

But what's the relevance to the current discussion?
What the point, your basically asking Republicans to abandon their social conservatism to appease just costal states, that won't happen

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What the point, your basically asking Republicans to abandon their social conservatism to appease just costal states, that won't happen
What you appear to be assuming is that social conservatism is not a winning proposition.

Upvote 0

James4Christ 777

Oct 28, 2019
Monterey
✟6,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
What you appear to be assuming is that social conservatism is not a winning proposition.
Not in California, and New York, especially California , a lot of the population in California are pretty far-left on all social issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You're replying to a post that pointed out that the proposals calling for ID do not require a birth certificate.
Allow me to re-quote for your convenience and reading comprehension:
I am simply saying that it should require a drivers license or voter ID (for those without a DL). It takes nothing more than proof of residency (a couple of bills) and a birth certificate.

Every state that I've had a driver's license in (California, Kansas, Pennsylvania) has required me to present a birth certificate or passport (which itself requires a birth certificate to obtain, subject to even tighter scrutiny) in order to get one. Looking up the requirements for state ID cards, it appears that they require the same.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It looks like it's your "reading comprehension" that could stand a touch-up. Almost every state allows voting upon the presentation of one of several different forms of ID, and that includes the three you mentioned. And that was the issue--casting a ballot--not registering to vote.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Almost every state allows voting upon the presentation of one of several different forms of ID, and that includes the three you mentioned. And that was the issue--casting a ballot--not registering to vote.
Yes - and again, what does it take in order to GET a driver's license or state ID card? A birth certificate.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It looks like it's your "reading comprehension" that could stand a touch-up. Almost every state allows voting upon the presentation of one of several different forms of ID, and that includes the three you mentioned. And that was the issue--casting a ballot--not registering to vote.
Which is interesting. It seems to me that the time to establish identity and voting eligibility is at registration, not the polling place. Why aren't Republicans concerned with that, if voting security is such an important issue to them?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes - and again, what does it take in order to GET a driver's license or state ID card? A birth certificate.
That still isn't the issue we have been discussing or the proposed changes that are being put forth in Congress for the whole nation. It's the ease of casting a vote if you are registered, or lack of same.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.