Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Voting shouldn't be easier. Voting should require an ID proving you are a resident of that district, and a signature that matches what is on the ID. That isn't racist, the person who says it makes it harder for minorities to vote thinks very little of minorities.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It true, many young people want Gay marriage, abortion, divorce, don't believe in God, so they will naturally in their feelings(often good willed bit misguided) vote Democrat.
You cannot see the polemical nature of this sort of sentiment?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I always thought it was your civic duty to vote (and to be informed about the candidates first.)

Thirty years ago I got inline to register, then once registered got inline to vote. Now how hard was that! I've never thought it should be that hard to vote, but if this is the consequence of easy voting, well... I can live with that.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Voting shouldn't be easier. Voting should require an ID proving you are a resident of that district, and a signature that matches what is on the ID. That isn't racist, the person who says it makes it harder for minorities to vote thinks very little of minorities.
It only makes it harder for some minorities and others who are older/in poor health/have difficulty getting the proper documents/are not mobile when the requirements are imposed shortly before an election (as has happened in the past). It also makes it harder for working people, whether minorities or not, when the open hours of the appropriate offices are limited to working hours, when the offices are very distant or the number of them are reduced (as has also happened in the past). The idea of having to show an ID is, in the abstract, not a bad one and no one really objects to it. As a practical matter, however, it has often been used to intentionally make it more difficult for voters who are likely to vote Democratic.

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I disagree with your comment on "Voting shouldn't be easier"

All stages in Voting should be easy. It should be easy to prove your eligibility to vote. It should be easy to provide/acquire the required documentation to prove your eligibility. You should have more locations where citizens can get these documents. There should be more polling stations so that poor people are not expected to take multi hour bus rides to a polling station. Voting period should be longer so that people who work long hours are able to have time to gather these documents, get their voter id and be able to have the time to vote.

States can make it easier by providing mail-in ballots so that people do not have to take time off their work to vote. Additionally election day should be made a paid holiday so that people can take the time off to do their civic duty.

Additionally document requirement changes must not be made within 180 days of a major election unless all the previously stated changes are made.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Living in a state that has mail in voting for everyone, I still need to prove myself once when a register or when I move. I don't have to do it every year. And Republicans still win in my state.

I would rather have more people voting and have them be able to express their picks than to not let them vote.

That said, there are some other things about my state voting system that I would change (getting ride of the top two for starters).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"They had things—levels of voting that, if you ever agreed to it, you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again." Quote Source: Saying Quiet Part Very Loud, Trump Admits "You'd Never Have a Republican Elected in This Country Again" If Voting Access Expanded.
As usual, if a biased source is used (as this one clearly is), and then "touched up" in the telling, the take-away is likely to be false information.

What was said was this:
"The things they had in there were crazy. They had things—levels of voting that, if you ever agreed to it, you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again."

Where is the "if voting was easier" wording? That's what your thread title says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It only makes it harder for some minorities and others who are older/in poor health/have difficulty getting the proper documents/are not mobile when the requirements are imposed shortly before an election (as has happened in the past). It also makes it harder for working people, whether minorities or not, when the open hours of the appropriate offices are limited to working hours, when the offices are very distant or the number of them are reduced (as has also happened in the past). The idea of having to show an ID is, in the abstract, not a bad one and no one really objects to it. As a practical matter, however, it has often been used to intentionally make it more difficult for voters who are likely to vote Democratic.
But there are family who can help them. A drivers license or voter ID (for those without a DL) is a pretty simple thing. Go to the courthouse, bring proof of birth and residency, and get an ID. If we are really going to say that is too difficult for some, then I think we are calling those people stupid. It isn't hard to do what I just shared regardless of age or educational background. And if somebody REALLY can't do that much... well.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with your comment on "Voting shouldn't be easier"

All stages in Voting should be easy. It should be easy to prove your eligibility to vote. It should be easy to provide/acquire the required documentation to prove your eligibility. You should have more locations where citizens can get these documents. There should be more polling stations so that poor people are not expected to take multi hour bus rides to a polling station. Voting period should be longer so that people who work long hours are able to have time to gather these documents, get their voter id and be able to have the time to vote.

States can make it easier by providing mail-in ballots so that people do not have to take time off their work to vote. Additionally election day should be made a paid holiday so that people can take the time off to do their civic duty.

Additionally document requirement changes must not be made within 180 days of a major election unless all the previously stated changes are made.
I am simply saying that it should require a drivers license or voter ID (for those without a DL). It takes nothing more than proof of residency (a couple of bills) and a birth certificate. Simple... easy peasy and we know who voted and it removes the dead from voting or from having people vote multiple times.

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Living in a state that has mail in voting for everyone, I still need to prove myself once when a register or when I move. I don't have to do it every year. And Republicans still win in my state.

I would rather have more people voting and have them be able to express their picks than to not let them vote.

That said, there are some other things about my state voting system that I would change (getting ride of the top two for starters).
As long as each person is a proven resident of the district they are voting in, and vote only once, then I couldn't agree more.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But there are family who can help them. A drivers license or voter ID (for those without a DL) is a pretty simple thing. Go to the courthouse, bring proof of birth and residency, and get an ID. If we are really going to say that is too difficult for some, then I think we are calling those people stupid. It isn't hard to do what I just shared regardless of age or educational background. And if somebody REALLY can't do that much... well.
Of course, and they have been helped. Use of the ID requirement has not been as effective as a voter suppression technique as was originally hoped for. I didn't say it was too difficult, just that it was more difficult for some, more difficult than it should be if the motive was really just voting security. I must say, though, that there are some unwarranted assumptions in your post. Not everyone has a birth certificate, for instance. And it isn't always the courthouse where the ID is obtained. In some states the appropriate office is several counties away and only open limited hours. And so on. Lastly, the accusation that we are calling those who have some difficulty obtaining the correct ID "stupid" unwarranted and offensive as well. .

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump is against divorce? Do his ex wives know that?

He wasn't against gay marriage and LGBT rights until he started pandering to his conservative base.

"Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hillary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs." - Donald Trump's personal tweet from June 14, 2016.

He wasn't against abortion either until he started pandering to his conservative base and he has also flip-flopped several times on the abortion issue too. He hasn't been consistent in his political positions.

Donald Trump's 3 positions on abortion in 3 hours

Donald Trump took 5 different positions on abortion in 3 days

Donald Trump retracts call for women who have abortions to be 'punished'

Trump: ‘I am For the Exceptions’ on Abortion: Rape, Incest, Life of the Mother'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Nope, still too easy. The GOP simply can't afford to have too many of the wrong sort of people voting.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It true, many young people want Gay marriage, abortion, divorce, don't believe in God, so they will naturally in their feelings(often good willed bit misguided) vote Democrat.

Which is why it's important to make sure they can't vote at all. Their ideas are different; they cannot be allowed to be heard.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Or has read the documented cases of GOP lawmakers specifically targeting minority groups using voter ID laws. One or the other.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.