United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Damage such as...? Start a war? What?
Talk to people who feel he is causing damage. That is why I put "damage" in quotes.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope, I am still required to wear the same N95 mask three shifts in a row and if it were five shifts that I worked in a week, it would be five shifts in a row. Same with surgical masks.

....in a country with more industrial and logistical capability than any other in the world....our providers are still not properly equipped.

Unacceptable.

[edit - China probably surpases our industrial capability...none the less, we are five months into this....there's no excuse for these type of shortages)

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Talk to people who feel he is causing damage. That is why I put "damage" in quotes.
I think he's causing damage but what would you have me do? The only legitimate option available is the election, barring a vanishingly small chance of a 25th amendment removal from office.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is the power he doesn't have! He cannot force them to do that. He can withhold government funds and bribe them into allowing it to happen, but that will all but guarantee his loss in November.
"He can withhold government funds..."

Trump is all about threatening to get what he wants.

Quote from Donald J. Trump - "Real power is fear."

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"He can withhold government funds..."

Trump is all about threatening to get what he wants.

Quote from Donald J. Trump - "Real power is fear."

...or so he would have his supporters believe.

The power of the purse lies with Congress (albeit, this President is challenging that notion).

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do people need a reason? I am not saying it will or it will not be, but until we actually have a second wave we cannot say for CERTAIN there will be a second wave. What people are basing the second wave off of is what happened 100 years ago and just because it happened then does not be default mean it will happen now,
The disease came and spread and caused a spike in cases because we had no way of really dealing with it. We still don’t have any reliable way of dealing with it. Opening up without any real and expansive strategy for testing and contact tracing and separating out the people infected with the disease or any herd immunity or vaccine to speak of is just naturally going to cause another big spike in cases.

It’s not a question of if, it’s a when and how bad will it be.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...or so he would have his supporters believe.

The power of the purse lies with Congress (albeit, this President is challenging that notion).
My point was Trump's philosophy. He really believes that 'Real power is fear'.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that people may have misunderstood six million is not two percent of the WORKING population it is two precent of the TOTAL population therefore I am not sure how it can be as disruptive as that implies.
You do realize that you sound like a cartoon villain when you say stuff like that, right?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Donald Trump is a child who holds a man's job. That any right-thinking person could have voted for him in 2016 is baffling. That people would consider doing so again is stunning - it is unimaginable that any person who votes for Mr. Trump (in 2020) is not doing so as an act of pure spite. As of January 2017, I consider myself lucky to not be an American (although he can still do damage beyond American borders, not least here in Canada).

Having said this, it is astonishing that Joe Biden is the best the Democrats can come up with.
Time, perhaps, to re-read Gibbon's magesterial work and look for clues to what happens next. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johan_1988

Jun 17, 2019
Durban
✟30,451.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
He probably means a federal advised lock down. He did not impose a lock down on any of the states in the first place,even though he had the emergency powers to do so, he just advised the states and gave the governors space to handle things as they see fit.

Trump is not good a posturing his position, but he is good at making policies and decisions that work.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He actually said that once? If so, just ... wow ....
I trust Bob Woodward not to lie about anyone. He has an impeccable reputation as far as I know.
It's a quote from Woodward's book, Fear: Trump in the White House.
One of the people Woodward interviewed for the book quoted Trump as saying that and more.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The disease came and spread and caused a spike in cases because we had no way of really dealing with it. We still don’t have any reliable way of dealing with it. Opening up without any real and expansive strategy for testing and contact tracing and separating out the people infected with the disease or any herd immunity or vaccine to speak of is just naturally going to cause another big spike in cases.

It’s not a question of if, it’s a when and how bad will it be.
and the way you get herd immunity is by opening up and exposing people to it not staying locked-down.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
and the way you get herd immunity is by opening up and exposing people to it not staying locked-down.
Herd immunity, without a vaccine, would require 80 some percent of the population to get it. That would require millions to die.

As has been asked of you over and over, is that cost acceptable to you?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Herd immunity, without a vaccine, would require 80 some percent of the population to get it. That would require millions to die.

As has been asked of you over and over, is that cost acceptable to you?
I do not want millions to die, but at the same time the vast majority of cases are not serious so we really do not know how many have had it. We also are testing more people some of whom would not have qualified earlier.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Herd immunity is not something we should be counting on to deal with the virus. That would lead to literally millions of deaths. It would be the greatest public health blunder in history.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do not want millions to die, but at the same time the vast majority of cases are not serious so we really do not know how many have had it.
The estimate for NYC is 25%, that's not even 1/3 of the way. Note the toll it took there, now multiply by three. Is that acceptable?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The estimate for NYC is 25%, that's not even 1/3 of the way. Note the toll it took there, now multiply by three. Is that acceptable?
I do not want that.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
In order to achieve herd immunity you need to get to at least 70% of the population infected What is Herd Immunity and How Can We Achieve It With COVID-19? With 330,000,000 Americans and the low end of 231,000,000 Americans infected. At 1% mortality rate, 2,310,000 Americans will die in an attempt to achieve herd immunity. CDC reported 2,813,503 total deaths last year in the United States. FastStats That was from all causes of death. So essentially, @dogs4thewin, by advocating for herd immunity, you want twice as many deaths this year than last year.

Upvote 0