Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I know that most people here will say KJV is their favorite translation, but what are some other good translations? I personally like NLT and the message(despite the controversy LOL). Just wondering.

Actually now that hundreds of versions exist, the word "most" is an exaggeration. Some other versions of the Bible, including the NASB used right here on v

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I know that most people here will say KJV is their favorite translation, but what are some other good translations? I personally like NLT and the message (despite the controversy LOL). Just wondering.

I think most" is an exaggeration now. Most Christians prefer literal (word for word) translations, but there are several versions that try to accomplish this with English language updates. Still, the KJV Bible is more popular than all the Bibles that are easy to understand.

I personally wish there was only one version of the Bible in American English and one in British English to avoid confusion about what many verses mean but that would upset a lot of KJV, NASB, and ESV readers.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I usually read the Bible in German only (the translation of Martin Luther) but if I talk to people in English I use the NIV. I would dare to say that my English is not bad, but I simply cannot read the KJV fluently. It's such weird English to me.

Yep. I always got an A or B in English, but feel like I was reading a foreign language when I read the KJV, As far as I am concerned, it is ancient British English that nobody speaks or writes anymore.

If sentence structure is not subject-verb-object, I am staying away from the book.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep. I always got an A or B in English, but feel like I was reading a foreign language when I read the KJV, As far as I am concerned, it is ancient British English that nobody speaks or writes anymore.

If sentence structure is not subject-verb-object, I am staying away from the book.

Then skip Koine Greek. Here is 1 Cor 13:1

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

Ἐὰν ταῖς γλώσσαις τῶν ἀνθρώπων λαλῶ καὶ τῶν ἀγγέλων ἀγάπην δὲ μὴ ἔχω γέγονα χαλκὸς ἠχῶν ἢ κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον.

If the languages of men I speak even the angels love but I have I have become brass sounding or cymbal tinkling.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Your reaction is 100% legitimate. We are living in the 21st Century and think/read/write/live in a totally different manner than they did over 400 years ago. Those who stay with the King James Version do so because they somehow they think that it is the Bible, even though the translators themselves disagreed.

I recommend going to a site such as biblegateway.com and read selections from the translations of your choice and see which one resonates with you. My personal favorite is the NET Bible, v. 2.1 but that's just my preference. I also use the NRSV and the NIV.

Upvote 0

Justin BT

Jan 18, 2020
Taipei
✟17,705.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know this is not for everyone, but for me, learning to read Biblical Greek solved the "Which bible translation should I use" problem for me at least. Now that I am able to (slightly uncomfortably but mostly ok these days) read the original Greek, I predominantly just find myself thinking: "Who cares about which English translation is best".

I am not sharing this to imply that reading the Greek is infinitely more superior, or that relying on the English is so inferior, the English versions are ok. I guess I just want to encourage more people to learn to read greek. Its a bit of work, but so worth it!

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know this is not for everyone, but for me, learning to read Biblical Greek solved the "Which bible translation should I use" problem for me at least. Now that I am able to (slightly uncomfortably but mostly ok these days) read the original Greek, I predominantly just find myself thinking: "Who cares about which English translation is best".

I am not sharing this to imply that reading the Greek is infinitely more superior, or that relying on the English is so inferior, the English versions are ok. I guess I just want to encourage more people to learn to read greek. Its a bit of work, but so worth it!

Agreed! Even if you then read another language for your personal devotion, there is nothing like digging into the Greek to get some better context. Although I spent a year in seminary and we had our own text books, my favorite way to learn Greek is William Mounce, "Basics of Biblical Greek".

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read the KJB next to the NLT in the Tecarta app. But the KJB is my final Word of authority. I also like the AMP translation, and the AMPC translation too. The AMP, and the AMPC are kind of like the middle of the road between the KJB and the NLT in my opinion.

As for GreeK: I am not really trust worthy of recent scholarship. Jesus said beware of the Scribes. The scribes are those who tran-scribed the Law or the Scriptures.

I think if one can understand the KJB and it's language by doing a personal notes study on the difficult words (using English dictionaries and other Bible translations), one will find it to be very rewarding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums