Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ESV another solid translation that retains readability. I tend to use a number of different tranlations depending on my mood and why I am studying or just reading. ESV, KJV, Message, Artscroll, CJB and NRSV are all my stand by translations.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i use the e-sword bible:

e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC - for PC, Mac, apple

or MySword:

MySword - Free Android Bible - for android

these bible apps can offer multiple translations, dictionaries, commentaries, etc. (many are free, some must be purchased as modules due to publisher's requirements)

the Amplified, Bible in Base English (BBE), Young's Literal translation (YLT), are some of my favorites after the KJV - both apps can display translations with Strong's numbers.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My chosen translation will depend on the task. For detailed study, I like the NASB and ESV for their mostly literal approach along with their readability. For devotions I like the NLT, and for nightly reading I tend to stick to one that happens to be a KJV though I didn't seek it out.

Reactions: psalmbody
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What translations are good depends to some extent upon your views.

Do you want the OT to reflect Christian interpretations or the reflect how the original authors and readers would have understood them?

Do you want to use critical Greek and Hebrew texts, or traditional texts that are likely further from the originals?

There are often multiple ways to translate words and phrases. Those often align with theological views of the translators.

Then there are differences in how you make the tradeoff between accuracy and readability.

Different translations reflect different answers to these questions.

I use the NRSV. This is the text typically used in university courses and scholarship. But it takes specific positions on the questions above: It translates the OT in its own context, not using specifically Christian readings. It uses the best critical texts. Its understanding of words and phrases reflect mainstream understanding of the authors’ thoughts. These differ in some cases from the understanding of Evangelical scholars.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The best translation for you is the one you will pick up and read willingly, freely desiring to read from it. Then you can compare when in study etc.. The pastor and myself tend to prepare messages and introductions from the NKJV but I've used others. I like the Amplified quite a bit for instance, which tend to fill in with some Strongs clarification in parenthesis.. That can help clarify troubling verses without referring to Strongs numbers outside the main read.

But I will use the ESV, NASB anf KJV besides the NKJV and Amplified at times. The Berean can be interesting. You can see any of these at Bible Gateway or Biblehub in an online search. My extra bibles are on my Kindle but I have 3 NKJV in actual books.

I too use both Esword and Mysword bible apps, the pastor as well. Esword on PC and Mysword on the kindle fire and android phone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I personally like the Greek translation of the OT.
I use AV which software I have includes the Lxx and Byzantine new testament. I have not seen anyone else on Christian forums that uses the Byzantine? So I dont know if thats bad or not.

Reactions: psalmbody
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that most people here will say KJV is their favourite translation, but what are some other good translations? I personally like NLT and the message(despite the controversy lol). Just wondering.
My first Greek prof was Dr. Roger Omanson who was on the initial NIV translation committee. So for a modern version I lean toward the NIV. I have served in Korean churches for almost 40 years, for people whose native language is not English the KJV is unintelligible.
Something else you might consider for the OT the 1917 Jewish Publication Society.
For the NT the Eastern Greek Orthodox translation. Both are available free online.
Both translations are free from Christian denominational bias.
Download The Holy Scriptures, Tanakh 1917 edition | The Jewish Publication Society
http://fortsmithorthodox.org/NEW TESTAMENT.pdf

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,337.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I usually read the Bible in German only (the translation of Martin Luther) but if I talk to people in English I use the NIV. I would dare to say that my English is not bad, but I simply cannot read the KJV fluently. It's such weird English to me.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me, the New King James Version is close to the earlier King James, plus it is close to the more modern translations.

God is able to use any scripture to help me to love. The love meaning is important.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I usually read the Bible in German only (the translation of Martin Luther) but if I talk to people in English I use the NIV. I would dare to say that my English is not bad, but I simply cannot read the KJV fluently. It's such weird English to me.

I am an American and it's weird English to me too. In fact, nobody on Earth speaks/reads/writes in 1611 English as their normal language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know that most people here will say KJV is their favourite translation, but what are some other good translations? I personally like NLT and the message(despite the controversy lol). Just wondering.

My favorite translation is the NET (2.1) It is carefully written in modern English -- the language that I and millions of others use every day -- so that comprehension isn't hampered by having to re-translate the KJV Englyshe. In addition there are more than 60,000 translators' notes on every aspect of the text. It is formatted in paragraphs (prose) not chopped into 1) verses that 2) contain numbers 3) in front of 4) each verse, which IMHO really hampers understanding and leads to taking words and sentences out of context to (mis)interpret what the text actually means. (The poetry retains the original format).

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you want the OT to reflect Christian interpretations or the reflect how the original authors and readers would have understood them?
This is a very important point. I prefer the OT translation to reflect Christian interpretations.

One verse that is usually used to demonstrate this concept is Isa 7:14. Translations that do not reflect Christian interpretation have "the young woman will conceive" instead of "the virgin will conceive."

This may not be a huge difference but Psa 22:16 shows a huge difference:

Translations that do not reflect Christian interpretation: For dogs are all around me; a company of evildoers encircles me. My hands and feet have shriveled;

Translations that reflect Christian interpretation: "For dogs have surrounded me; a gang of evildoers has closed in on me; they pierced my hands and my feet."

I don't know if there is a list with more examples somewhere.

As far as the NT is concerned, some people say that certain versions promote predestination theology. I don't have specific examples.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
e.

As far as the NT is concerned, some people say that certain versions promote predestination theology. I don't have specific examples.
There's suspicion of the ESV, because of the influence of Reformed people in making it. I haven't seen clear evidence that it's true, however.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's suspicion of the ESV, because of the influence of Reformed people in making it. I haven't seen clear evidence that it's true, however.
This is said on the web about NIV & ESV. But I haven't seen convincing arguments.

Upvote 0

A.ModerateOne

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is said on the web about NIV & ESV. But I haven't seen convincing arguments.

I have seen one argument that is made against the ESV, which is an evangelical revision of the RSV; is about the rendering of Revelation 13:8 using the term "before", which, if I'm not mistaken is called pluperfect tense in grammar, "denoting an action completed prior to some past point of time specified or implied".

"and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain." (Rev 13:8 ESV)

"and all who dwell on earth will worship it, every one whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb that was slain." (Rev 13:8 RSV)

The argument I saw was preferring the NET translation "since", and it continues to happen ever since the creation.

"and all those who live on the earth will worship the beast, everyone whose name has not been written since the foundation of the world in the book of life belonging to the Lamb who was killed." (Rev 13:8 NET2)

Because of Eph. 1:4 I must go with the RSV and retained in the ESV.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0