Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1. What do you think about people handing out religious literature and tracts? Why?

Since you ask, I almost always find them to be an imposition or at least nothing that I welcome. I do respect the Gideons, however, for they hand out the word of God without any armtwisting of the recipient to believe some particular slant on a religious subject.

The Chick tracts, despite being favorite targets of Catholic debaters, strike me as little different from dozens of other such pamphlets, cartoons, and so on. That's not a recommendation, by the way, just that they seem about the same as many others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People should meet Jesus in us. There is famous quote credited to lots of people:"Preach the gospel at every opportunity. If necessary, use words". Tract people think the words come first.

Chick is offensive. I'm glad I haven't seen any in years.

People tell me that God uses tracts. God uses Satan too.

Reactions: Uber Genius
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
1. What do you think about people handing out religious literature and tracts? Why?

I suppose it would depend entirely on the nature of the literature/tracts themselves, and the method by which this is being done. But generally speaking, I find it somewhat aggressive and in poor taste.

2. What do you think of chick tracts in particular? Why? www.chick.com

Alex Jones on crack in comic book form. My deepest sympathies to the trees and recycled wood pulp which had the misfortune of being turned into this garbage.

i.e. They're terrible, absolutely terrible. Calling them useless is an insult to other useless things.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Waste of time for the most part. I remember heading home from work one day on a dark night. My car was parked in a secluded area, and I saw a little pamphlet that had a drawing of a skull lodged into my car door. Honestly it really freaked me out until I opened the pamphlet only to discover it was just a Christian tract warning me of the dangers of hell fire. It got my attention, but not in a positive way.

They're extremely funny. I regularly watch a Youtube series called The Bible Reloaded and they often read chick tracts in funny voices and often with extended funny dialog. So on that front, I'm glad they exist.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Chick Tracts are apart of Americana.

Some of his tracts are actually in display at The Smithsonian Institute Of American History.

Some day historians will study ancient Jack Chick folklore.

Reactions: gord44
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
i repeat, WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?!

frabz-There-are-some-who-call-me-Tim-63197d.jpg

In all seriousness though, what's with the outbursts?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Like Y'SHUA says "blessed is the man who is not offended by anything in ME".

Many cults are offended by Y'SHUA.

TEST EVERYTHING. By Y'SHUA'S WORD. HANG ON TO WHAT IS TRUE !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I always liked them but I doubt the actually accomplish much by themselves. What I think they do is to bring things to mind that otherwise people wouldn't have thought of.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What do you find so offensive of Christian literature? (or is the offense only about chick?) Either way, why offended?
Chick tracts contain a ton of misinformation and generally bad sounding theology I think they will honestly make Christianity seem like a joke to the reader.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
2. What do you think of chick tracts in particular? Why?

I have nothing against people sharing their views in dialogue and having discussions but in my view the "chick tracts" are just that..a propaganda sheet or cartoon that attacks or smears other groups.

What do you find so offensive of Christian literature? (or is the offense only about chick?) Either way, why offended?

Christian literature is a very broad topic... there are worthwhile themes and essays and then there are cheap tracts that attack without much value or depth behind them.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I'm quite a fan of Christian literature, seeing as I'm a Christian and I like reading.

But when it is in the form of paper solicitation it's safe to say the quality is probably going to be subpar.

And, yes, I rather specifically have an objection to Chick publications because they are a breeding ground of conspiracy theories, lies, and hatred.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0