Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe in total depravity either. I took a look at what little is left from Pelagius' work, to see if maybe he was misjudged. I think you'll find that he didn't make sufficient room for grace.

We do not have much of his writings left unfortunately, but it is clear that he still believed in God's grace but felt it assists in keeping an individual on the path towards righteousness. The difference is that he felt that being righteousness was not impossible because one did not have grace. Anyone can be righteous without it, but it is very difficult to stay on the path for long without it because we are not perfect beings.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's hard to know how to answer for all liberal Christianity, because I'm not sure what you mean by the term. The main denominations that CF considers liberal are the mainline churches. But they are really a mix of different perspectives, and may not be as liberal as many think.

Even with mainline it's hard to give official answers for all. Here's a response from the PCUSA Confession of 1967. The PCUSA is unusual in that we have continued to issue official confessions during the modern era. That makes it easier to document our theology than it is with other mainline churches. I think the PCUSA is fairly typical of mainline Christianity.

"Wise and virtuous men and women through the ages have sought the highest good in devotion to freedom, justice, peace, truth, and beauty. Yet all human virtue, when seen in the light of God’s love in Jesus Christ, is found to be infected by self-interest and hostility. All people, good and bad alike, are in the wrong before God and helpless without God’s forgiveness. Thus everyone falls under God’s judgment. No one is more subject to that judgment than those who assume that they are guiltless before God or morally superior to others."

This is from the latest edition of C67, which has been lightly edited to use inclusive language.

That's more or less the position that the ELCA would take as well. By God's grace, people of many religions or none can lead good lives, what we call civil righteousness, due to understanding natural law. But salvation is a gift received by faith, not works.

Upvote 0