Top law enforcement officials say the biggest domestic terror threat comes from white supremacists.

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,325.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And this:

'violent criminals are likely to exploit Constitutionally-protected freedom of speech activity linked to racial justice grievances' (My emphasis)

the National Terrorism Advisory System Bulletin (issued by Homeland Security to all Industry Partners and Government Agencies) dated May 14, 2021 makes no mention of White Supremacists.

Oh, yes it does!

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, yes it does!
Because I like you, I will respond to you. Your partisan glasses are showing.

Everything you said is equally true for a certain Black Congressperson that visited Minneapolis, made statements about "fighting harder" and was followed a few hours later by shooting at National Guards troops. Were THOSE shooters likely "White Supremacists"?

The political radicals and internet misinformation infect both extremes. I have no use for either Neo-Nazis or Antifa ... for EXACTLY the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,325.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, I like you too! My opinions are one thing (and there for all to note) but the conclusions of Homeland Security are another. They are not partisan; their judgment is to be trusted.

There is no other conclusion to be drawn; Homeland Security is not a political radical , nor do they indulge in misinformation. I had to look beyond the OP citation as it is behind a paywall so rather than read a media account I saw and quoted Homeland Security's own words.

Homeland Security does not exculpate other groups; they state unambiguously that the greatest danger is not from foreign powers or external terrorists. The greatest danger is from home-grown white supremacists.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Time will tell whether white supremacists attack a group of BLM protesters, or radical protesters try infiltrate a BLM protest to attack a government building next. The Homeland Security warning sounds like it includes both threats to me, but clearly Your Mileage Does Vary.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,325.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The Homeland Security judgment does include other threats, I agree. Their judgment is that the biggest threat comes from white supremicists. Other sources are mentioned because they represent threats.

There has been such an effort here and on other threads to minimise the influence of American Nationalist extremists.

It is not clear to me why this is so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You characterized the group as white supremacists....

No, I said a bunch of them attacked the US Capitol a few months ago.

If we're talking about a minority of people within the larger group....why would you characterize the group by that minority?

You asked what threat white supremacists posed. Avoiding the obvious question of why anyone would want to defend those types of people, the fact that a number of them attacked the US Capitol a few months ago would seem to be relevant.

Snipped a bunch of incorrect guesses about my motivation. Come on, at least attempt to be a bit less transparent with the ad hominems.

NI honestly don't think you wish to demonize the entire group because of some irrational hatred of white people.

And yet you managed to spend paragraphs discussing it instead of staying on topic. I'm reminded of the saying "If you want to know what people really think, look at what people do rather than what they say"

I also don't think you would accept such a negative generalization about a Black Lives Matter protest.

Sure, but then again I don't think that anyone's presented evidence that a number of BLM members attacked the US Capitol a few months ago. By contrast, a large number of white supremacists have been arrested for doing exactly that. So it is quite curious why you'd even bring up BLM. Actually, no I'm not - some in the audience are receptive to that sort of distraction and manipulation.

One third of all black males 15-35 are either in jail, on probation, or have a warrant for their arrest.
Interesting jump from a particular political group to an entire race. I guess they all look alike or something?

]Now imagine a Black Lives Matter protest where 10 thousand black men and women march for whatever reason. Would it be fair to describe the mob of protesters as "criminals" simply because a significant number of them are?

Lurid fantasies about large scary groups of black men roaming the streets have little to do with the actual discussion here. Not sure why you keep going back to them rather than addressing the actual question I asked.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Homeland Security judgment does include other threats, I agree. Their judgment is that biggest threat comes from white supremicists. Other sources are mentioned because they represent threats.

There has been such an effort here and on other threads to minimise the influence of American Nationalist extremists.

It is not clear to me why this is so.
When the minimization includes innuendo that pointing out violent acts by white supremacists is racism against white people, it becomes a bit more clear.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Murder and Extremism in the United States in 2022

• White supremacists commit the greatest number of domestic extremist-related murders in most years, but in 2022 the percentage was unusually high: 21 of the 25 murders were linked to white supremacists. Again, this is primarily due to mass shootings. Only one of the murders was committed by a right-wing anti-government extremist—the lowest number since 2017.
  • All the extremist-related murders in 2022 were committed by right-wing extremists of various kinds, who typically commit most such killings each year but only occasionally are responsible for all (the last time this occurred was 2012).

• Informative
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Murder and Extremism in the United States in 2022

• White supremacists commit the greatest number of domestic extremist-related murders in most years, but in 2022 the percentage was unusually high: 21 of the 25 murders were linked to white supremacists. Again, this is primarily due to mass shootings. Only one of the murders was committed by a right-wing anti-government extremist—the lowest number since 2017.
  • All the extremist-related murders in 2022 were committed by right-wing extremists of various kinds, who typically commit most such killings each year but only occasionally are responsible for all (the last time this occurred was 2012).

What's a "domestic-extremist related murder"?

Is that a domestic terrorist attacking the public? Or a guy in the Aryan Brotherhood shanking people in jail? Or a guy who once went on 4chan, robbed a liquor store, and shot the clerk?

Upvote 0