Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We don’t ban people from college for saying stupid things. Otherwise no one would graduate. This is more about how stupid social media is and not how stupid college students are. It’s been established how stupid college students are since college started.

I didn't mean from college itself, I meant from the multi-cultural area.

Reactions: GaveMeJoy
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What reason would that be? How much power do white racists really have?

It's not really a matter of college kids saying stupid things, more so that the education system probably helped steer her in this direction.

I was going to ask the same question....what is this "legit reason"?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well, a space with no white people could still be multicultural. It's not like Ethiopians and Trinidadians and Afro-Brazilians or whoever are all from the same culture just because they're all black by the widest definition of the term.

But it was still dumb. If the multicultural center is really meant only for non-white people, then they should probably make that clear ('they' meaning the school, not this girl). Otherwise it seems like she's projecting her own prejudices onto the purpose of the space, which I would have a hard time believing is what the school really wants to see happening with the multicultural center.

True, but I think you could count my Kenyan and Jamaican friends as wanting nothing to do with that sort of attitude. Oh and my real Indian friends and co workers. Come to think of it I can't ever recall dealing with that sort of attitude from people born outside the United States. In my experience it has always been American born Blacks who have that attitude.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went to college....and it wasn't like this.Believe it or not....I can't recall any incidents of racial tension at all. I'm not saying they didn't happen....but they certainly weren't visible. Nobody ever excluded anyone from anywhere based on skin color.These days race relations seem to have taken a big step backwards.

Would you appreciate your peers telling you how to think and speak on campus?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious about the reaction to this because I recall a story about a white teen getting denied entry into Harvard because of jokes he made when younger...

This is an adult student being blatantly racist on campus. Should she be expelled? Should anything punishment be involved? Thoughts?

EDITED: Na, leave her be. We leave such actions to the insecure who feel they need to make noise/have a cause, if someone looks at them wrong....generally those who feel they are wrongly treated like the woman in the OP. IOW, her own kind can deal out the punishment, something they probably won't do because to some, racism is a one way street.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What is the purpose?

Are you not familiar with the concept of safe spaces? I'm not a big fan of it, but the idea behind it isn't that complicated, and if people want to talk about it, I think they should be able to do so without censorship.

Again, I'm not seeing your point....

You're conflating "groups" with "spaces"....she didn't say "hey this is supposed to be a meeting of the black students group" she said whites aren't allowed in this space.

It's an ideologically laden usage of the word "space," which I assume you already know, since I'm aware of your problems with progressives.

Being familiar with the whole ideological background of what she's saying, I think there are underlying concerns there that are somewhat valid. I think there are also elements of entitlement and racism, but I don't really think outrage and vindictiveness is a good response to that.

I highlighted the racist part for you. Clearly white people are allowed there.

This is the sort of statement that would have been more appropriate in a newspaper article, but if people are uncomfortable, I would rather know why than jump straight to accusing them of racism. It's used too much as a smokescreen to shut down conversation as it is.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's unfortunate. I think she should undergo some sensitivity training at least. (White people have feelings too!) Nobody likes to be told they aren't welcome. What's ironic is she probably alienated those most likely to be tolerant, it's not like the "nazis" go to the multi-cultural lounge. Though she probably isn't a deep thinker or would be be more compassionate towards those who are different from her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's unfortunate. I think she should undergo some sensitivity training at least. (White people have feelings too!)

Do those even work?

Nobody likes to be told they aren't welcome. What's ironic is she probably alienated those most likely to be tolerant, it's not like the "nazis" go to the multi-cultural lounge. Though she probably isn't a deep thinker or would be be more compassionate towards those who are different from her.

Part of me just thinks she wants to bully sensitive white people around and doesn't actually give a crap about all the white people around. I do wonder what that laugh was at the end of the clip. A space that is welcomed to all in a probably white dominated college is understandably going to have many white faces in it. Not sure what she expected. If she wants too she can just start her own POC group.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you not familiar with the concept of safe spaces?

For cancer patients or sexual abuse victims? Sure. I don't think "hey we all don't like being around this race...so let's exclude them" is a valid concept for a safe space.

That's just racist people doing racial segregation. I'm sure Jim Crow or redlining could be rebranded as "creating safe spaces for white people"....but it's still just racism.

No one needs a safe space from "whites".

Being familiar with the whole ideological background of what she's saying, I think there are underlying concerns there that are somewhat valid.

Such as?

I think there are also elements of entitlement and racism, but I don't really think outrage and vindictiveness is a good response to that.

I think it's fair to call out racism when it happens.

This is the sort of statement that would have been more appropriate in a newspaper article, but if people are uncomfortable, I would rather know why than jump straight to accusing them of racism. It's used too much as a smokescreen to shut down conversation as it is.

I certainly don't want to shut down conversation....

But clearly her attitudes are pervasive amongst her peers. If one wants to combat racism, perhaps she should be hoisted up as an example of the problem so others understand.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
What reason would that be? How much power do white racists really have?

It's not really a matter of college kids saying stupid things, more so that the education system probably helped steer her in this direction.
when the majority Race systematically enslaves, subjugates, murders, rapes, and abuses a minority group for hundreds of years it Rightfully changes the severity and sensitivity of the culture to racism from the majority race as opposed to the historically subjugated race.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
She's specifically making the claim that there are too many white students in a multicultural center. She argues that this was envisioned as a place for students of color, and that having too many white students detracts from its purpose.

I think that's a somewhat valid concern...
How do we know that those allegedly "white students" didn't self-identify as "students of color"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How do we know that those allegedly "white students" didn't self-identify as "students of color"?

Haha, yeah. That is a pretty big ideological inconsistency.

I would be interested to know how radical critical race theorists view the whole transgender issue, though, since you'll find radical feminists who reject that men can identify as women due to structural and biological inequalities, and it may be that critical race folk agree.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
when the majority Race systematically enslaves, subjugates, murders, rapes, and abuses a minority group for hundreds of years it Rightfully changes the severity and sensitivity of the culture to racism from the majority race as opposed to the historically subjugated race.

I sincerely doubt that any of the white students have systematically enslaved, subjugated, murdered, raped, or abused anyone. Racism isn't some sin you can just assume about people based on their skin color.

That would be racist.

• Agree
Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yeah, and we've made racism from whites abhorrent for decades now.

We are not living in the 1950s anymore.

You don't see a threat to racial harmony from a group of people who's racist actions are often infantilized and given less accountability?

• Agree
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah, and we've made racism from whites abhorrent for decades now.

We are not living in the 1950s anymore.

You don't see a threat to racial harmony from a group of people who's racist actions are often infantilized and given less accountability?
The ever popular “get over it blacks” mentality, seems counter productive

Upvote 0