Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'd say that at the very least, she needs counseling to explain why she's racist

I don't think that's going to fit too well with the definition of racism among progressives and others that excludes all black people from charges of it as a matter of course.

then steps should be taken to make it abundantly clear racial discrimination isn't tolerated.

But it is. That's the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For the thread's consideration, on the subject of "Can black people (e.g., this young lady) be racist?"

While I'm not entirely sold on every argument made in it, the following video from the YouTube channel Counter Arguments provides some very important questions to think about when we see stories like this one come up:

From the uploader's description (so as to fulfill the new CF requirement that we include summaries of video contents):

Arguers: Paul Mooney, Michael Eric Dyson, Franchesca Ramsey
Argument: Because black Americans cannot enact racism via institutions, they cannot be racist as individuals.
Counter-Argument: Institutions and individuals are different contexts in which racism can be discussed; they should not be conflated.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that's going to fit too well with the new definition of racism that excludes all black people from charges of it as a matter of course.

Then perhaps the new definition is wrong.

But it is. That's the problem.

I doubt she's ever been excluded from anywhere on campus for her skin color.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is an adult student being blatantly racist on campus. Should she be expelled? Should anything punishment be involved? Thoughts?

If you've been on any campus, you'd know you are in a group of the dumbest people on earth. Ok...the most diverse people on earth. Ok...the most diverse privileged people on earth.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you've been on any campus, you'd know you are in a group of the dumbest people on earth. Ok...the most diverse people on earth. Ok...the most diverse privileged people on earth.

I went to college....and it wasn't like this.

Believe it or not....I can't recall any incidents of racial tension at all. I'm not saying they didn't happen....but they certainly weren't visible. Nobody ever excluded anyone from anywhere based on skin color.

These days race relations seem to have taken a big step backwards.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I see I should have been more explicit.

Then perhaps the new definition is wrong.

I would say so. Or at the very least it is taking a very specific definition -- meant to apply only to racism that may exist in institutions -- and trying to use it as a substitute for the more everyday definition, where a person may hate and discriminate against someone because of their skin color.

I doubt she's ever been excluded from anywhere on campus for her skin color.

I wouldn't know. I just know that she appears to be pro-excluding others from campus based on their skin color, and that's apparently not a problem because of her skin color. Hence, racial discrimination is tolerated.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went to college....and it wasn't like this.Believe it or not....I can't recall any incidents of racial tension at all. I'm not saying they didn't happen....but they certainly weren't visible. Nobody ever excluded anyone from anywhere based on skin color.These days race relations seem to have taken a big step backwards.

My point being that your college was diverse with a variety of views, even if not in your circles.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So...this young black college student got recorded telling white people to leave...you know, because they're white.

Woman At University Of Virginia Announces There’s Too Many White People In Multicultural Student Center - The Daily Caller

The video is pretty self explanatory.

I'm curious about the reaction to this because I recall a story about a white teen getting denied entry into Harvard because of jokes he made when younger...

This is an adult student being blatantly racist on campus. Should she be expelled? Should anything punishment be involved? Thoughts?
Send her for a field trip to South Africa to further her education about racism. They are murdering white people over there. She might come back with a few ideas about how to deal with white people (of course, her family might come and visit her on Sundays if she tried to put any of those ideas into practice!).

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why? What possible reason could be valid for racial discrimination?

If it were an LGBT group, and almost everyone in it were straight, or a women's group populated almost entirely by men, that would defeat the purpose of having a space specifically for a minority group. The same principle applies here--if you've got a multicultural group overwhelmed entirely by the majority culture, it's not really multicultural anymore.

It's a valid concern. It just needs to be expressed in a constructive manner, and it wasn't.

I don't care what she says on her time....

But she's a student trying to dictate the purpose of student spaces. Imagine if that were a white student standing up and proclaiming "hey there's too many black people in here....you need to leave."

I think any student being discriminated against can have a reasonable expectation of the university protecting their rights. If they don't, I think the university is liable for damages.

Her exact statement is:

"If ya'll didn't know, this is MSC and frankly there are just too many white people in here and this is a space for people of color. So just be really cognizant of the space that you're taking up because it does make some of us POC uncomfortable when we see too many white people in here. It's only been opened for four days, and frankly there's the whole university for a lot of y'all to be at, and there’s very few spaces for us, so keep that in mind."

I think she'd have been better off writing a piece for the student newspaper, since that's really a more appropriate vehicle for bringing up something like this, but compared to some of what I've seen in racial studies circles, this is really very tame.

The university has made a statement saying that all are welcome, so it's certainly not endorsing her message. Maybe someone needs to have a conversation with her on cultural sensitivity, but I don't really see a need for punishment.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If it were an LGBT group, and almost everyone in it were straight, or a women's group populated almost entirely by men, that would defeat the purpose of having a space specifically for a minority group. The same principle applies here--if you've got a multicultural group overwhelmed entirely by the majority culture, it's not really multicultural anymore.

It's a valid concern. It just needs to be expressed in a constructive manner, and it wasn't.

Her exact statement is:

"If ya'll didn't know, this is MSC and frankly there are just too many white people in here and this is a space for people of color. So just be really cognizant of the space that you're taking up because it does make some of us POC uncomfortable when we see too many white people in here. It's only been opened for four days, and frankly there's the whole university for a lot of y'all to be at, and there’s very few spaces for us, so keep that in mind."

I think she'd have been better off writing a piece for the student newspaper, since that's really a more appropriate vehicle for bringing up something like this, but compared to some of what I've seen in racial studies circles, this is really very tame.

The university has made a statement saying that all are welcome, so it's certainly not endorsing her message. Maybe someone needs to have a conversation with her on cultural sensitivity, but I don't really see a need for punishment.
I'll bet that she would be thrown out of the College immediately if she had said, "There are too many hetrosexuals here."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If it were an LGBT group,

Its not a group...it's a space.

that would defeat the purpose of having a space specifically for a minority group.

What is the purpose?

The same principle applies here--if you've got a multicultural group overwhelmed entirely by the majority culture, it's not really multicultural anymore.

Judging by her accent....she comes from the exact same culture as everyone else.

Again, I'm not seeing your point....

You're conflating "groups" with "spaces"....she didn't say "hey this is supposed to be a meeting of the black students group" she said whites aren't allowed in this space.

Her exact statement is:

"If ya'll didn't know, this is MSC and frankly there are just too many white people in here and this is a space for people of color. So just be really cognizant of the space that you're taking up because it does make some of us POC uncomfortable when we see too many white people in here.

I highlighted the racist part for you. Clearly white people are allowed there.

It's only been opened for four days, and frankly there's the whole university for a lot of y'all to be at, and there’s very few spaces for us, so keep that in mind."

This part is also racist.

The university is probably trying to avoid any strong condemnation altogether.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, a space with no white people could still be multicultural. It's not like Ethiopians and Trinidadians and Afro-Brazilians or whoever are all from the same culture just because they're all black by the widest definition of the term.

But it was still dumb. If the multicultural center is really meant only for non-white people, then they should probably make that clear ('they' meaning the school, not this girl). Otherwise it seems like she's projecting her own prejudices onto the purpose of the space, which I would have a hard time believing is what the school really wants to see happening with the multicultural center.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
So...this young black college student got recorded telling white people to leave...you know, because they're white.

Woman At University Of Virginia Announces There’s Too Many White People In Multicultural Student Center - The Daily Caller

The video is pretty self explanatory.

I'm curious about the reaction to this because I recall a story about a white teen getting denied entry into Harvard because of jokes he made when younger...

Do we expel people for saying stupid things at college now? Like are you serious? I don’t think someone should be expelled from college for being an actual full racist, much less saying something stupid that isn’t even really racist anyway.

Circulating stories Like this and getting outraged by them is really ridiculous and that’s why white racist conservative groups are putting it out as such a big deal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Apparently she's not the only one.
It’s UVA not necessarily the bastion of academic excellence. But this is no big deal just something stupid said by a college student. And college students don’t get expelled for saying stupid things otherwise I wouldn’t have made it a day into my freshman year.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
My thoughts are people like her should be banned from such places. They are, in my understanding areas where people can learn about different people and cultures..

It's a positive thing for those of every cultural background to visit and learn. People who want these areas to be only for them and their culture need to find a different area than a multicultural center..
We don’t ban people from college for saying stupid things. Otherwise no one would graduate. This is more about how stupid social media is and not how stupid college students are. It’s been established how stupid college students are since college started.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I just want to know how dark my Latino friends have to be to get her approval.
Yea this is the best comment in this thread by a country model the rest of you should stop making any jokes LOL don’t even try after this one

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
P
[QUOTE= the races were reversed, and I don't see her facing the same consequences from it in daily life as a result.[/QUOTE

Yea but there is a legit reason it would be different if the races were reversed and I’m ok with that.

But it was stupid to say, college kids say stupid things.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yea but there is a legit reason it would be different if the races were reversed and I’m ok with that.

But it was stupid to say, college kids say stupid things.

What reason would that be? How much power do white racists really have?

It's not really a matter of college kids saying stupid things, more so that the education system probably helped steer her in this direction.

Upvote 0