Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So...this young black college student got recorded telling white people to leave...you know, because they're white.

Woman At University Of Virginia Announces There’s Too Many White People In Multicultural Student Center - The Daily Caller

The video is pretty self explanatory.

I'm curious about the reaction to this because I recall a story about a white teen getting denied entry into Harvard because of jokes he made when younger...

This is an adult student being blatantly racist on campus. Should she be expelled? Should anything punishment be involved? Thoughts?

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, what they don't figure in when they do something like this? It's their future job prospects when this video comes up on a google search for their social media stuff.

I think she might have been repeating what she was told was the thing to do today. Yes, it is rather racist. I think her future maybe punishment enough personally. People will be cautious about taking her on if her future involves the public - or heck the team at work.

Colleges really need to push reason why NOT to do these kinds of things. You could be young and do stupid things in the past, but today you have the internet chasing you. She will be lucky if she ever lives this down. I feel bad for her, because I doubt she realizes it yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, what they don't figure in when they do something like this? It's their future job prospects when this video comes up on a google search for their social media stuff.

I think she might have been repeating what she was told was the thing to do today. Yes, it is rather racist. I think her future maybe punishment enough personally. People will be cautious about taking her on if her future involves the public - or heck the team at work.

Colleges really need to push reason why NOT to do these kinds of things. You could be young and do stupid things in the past, but today you have the internet chasing you. She will be lucky if she ever lives this down. I feel bad for her, because I doubt she realizes it yet.

I get what you're saying here....I think there's a larger problem though. People actually applauded this display of racism.

If no one tells her "hey, you can't discriminate against people because of their skin color...that's racist."...what if she one day gets a job where she has some modicum of power? If she denies a person a job or otherwise discriminates....she may find out that the law doesn't agree with her privileged views on race.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My thoughts are people like her should be banned from such places. They are, in my understanding areas where people can learn about different people and cultures..

It's a positive thing for those of every cultural background to visit and learn. People who want these areas to be only for them and their culture need to find a different area than a multicultural center..

Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get what you're saying here....I think there's a larger problem though. People actually applauded this display of racism.

If no one tells her "hey, you can't discriminate against people because of their skin color...that's racist."...what if she one day gets a job where she has some modicum of power? If she denies a person a job or otherwise discriminates....she may find out that the law doesn't agree with her privileged views on race.

Believe I understand what you are saying. I do.

Young people applaud the most horrible stuff, and never think about the consequences. I have a feeling she is getting the statement you wrote right now.

Today, there really isn't anyone strong enough to tell people what needs to be said. They are all running scared that a mob may come after them for telling them how the world works. There are not enough people with backbone to do it on campus, and they tend to enable them instead.

They have been taught that the country is terrible, most people are against them and are after them, that they will never make it...and each bad thing you see is the world's fault because they are racist, have some phobia and aren't enlightened like the ones that are teaching this no hope garbage. Is it any wonder why suicides, depression and all the rest are scaling up? No one shows a sense of hope anymore. Only what circles of victimhood you belong to, and then you can woe is me with your friends. You object to that POV? The rage and snotty comments follow, because reason isn't being taught either.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
She's specifically making the claim that there are too many white students in a multicultural center. She argues that this was envisioned as a place for students of color, and that having too many white students detracts from its purpose.

I think that's a somewhat valid concern, but that there's a racist element to it in that people who are technically "white" can still be minorities--religious minorities, Eastern Europeans, etc. I also think that trying to expel white people from multicultural settings is counterproductive if your aim is improving race relations rather than introducing a new age of segregation.

I wouldn't punish her for it, though I don't care for the vindictive "conform or be exiled" aspect of progressive culture in general.

Upvote 0

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We live in a world full of hypocrites, in fact most of us are hypocrites, because one thing we say and something else we do, same thing goes for our relationship with the Father. We judge others with no shame, pointing fingers, then we, ourselves, do the very same thing we judge others of doing.

Division is the root cause of all hate in the world, very few are those who Christ called "peace makers" and they are the ones who can be truly called Sons of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't know why white people would expect to be allowed into a multicultural center in the first place...it is always important when you are the minority in a given context to adjust your expectations according to what others will give you. Y'know, like this:

(In all seriousness, I wouldn't punish her, but I wouldn't feel bad if this sort of thing came up in searches for her by future employers, dates, curious people who might be thinking of attending the college, etc.)

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,155,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately there is nothing remarkable about her statements.

Her statements could hurt her future job prospects, but they could very well help her too. This video would be treated in a much more harsh light if the races were reversed, and I don't see her facing the same consequences from it in daily life as a result.

• Agree
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She's specifically making the claim that there are too many white students in a multicultural center. She argues that this was envisioned as a place for students of color, and that having too many white students detracts from its purpose.

I could be wrong....but I doubt UVA created the place for the purpose of encouraging racial segregation.

I think that's a somewhat valid concern

Why? What possible reason could be valid for racial discrimination?

I also think that trying to expel white people from multicultural settings is counterproductive if your aim is improving race relations rather than introducing a new age of segregation.

Agree.

I wouldn't punish her for it, though I don't care for the vindictive "conform or be exiled" aspect of progressive culture in general.

I don't care what she says on her time....

But she's a student trying to dictate the purpose of student spaces. Imagine if that were a white student standing up and proclaiming "hey there's too many black people in here....you need to leave."

I think any student being discriminated against can have a reasonable expectation of the university protecting their rights. If they don't, I think the university is liable for damages.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know why white people would expect to be allowed into a multicultural center in the first place...it is always important when you are the minority in a given context to adjust your expectations according to what others will give you. Y'know, like this:

(In all seriousness, I wouldn't punish her, but I wouldn't feel bad if this sort of thing came up in searches for her by future employers, dates, curious people who might be thinking of attending the college, etc.)

Keeping in the spirit of the OP, that movie could never be made today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'd say that at the very least, she needs counseling to explain why she's racist....then steps should be taken to make it abundantly clear racial discrimination isn't tolerated.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I just want to know how dark my Latino friends have to be to get her approval.

I suppose she could put up some color swatches and a sign that says "If you're lighter than this, you're allowed in."

• Haha
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0