To tithe, or not to tithe. That is the question!

Should Christians tithe?

• Yes, we should give 10%.

• No, we should give whatever the Lord Places upon our hearts.

• No, we should not give anything to the church.

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GodismySalvation

I am new to tithing I started tithing last month because of what the tithers said and because of the bible proofs they gave backing their claims. I was just offered a drastically reduced rate on my loans the savings to me is MORE than my tithe. I did not realize the bible had so much to say about tithing or that tithers had so many great testimonies. The tithers are right tithing works for real. Don't listen to the critics try tithing for yourself and see what happens. I am thanking God for his goodness. :clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
*Lay aside a tithe of your increase for the Levite and the poor. Remove it from your house and give it. Deuteronomy 26:12-13

2nd tithe to take family on yearly feast in God's presence. Deuteronomy 14:22-27

3rd tithe is the 2 year poor tithe to look after the poor. Deuteronomy 14:28-29

Tithe of the tithe to the storehouse by the Levites. Nehemiah 10:38

Malachi tithe into the storehouse. Malachi 3:10

There's no command from God or Christ to stop tithing.

There is no storehouse.

i.e. if i don't save for retirement .. the church is not going to support me. that is just not a reasonable expectation. church is not a replacement of the community support system the Jews had.

The church typically doesn't minister to the poor, .. enough .. and quite often structures itself so people with money feel comfortable.

As the proverbs say .. give to the poor .. you give to God

no where in scripture does it say .. give to the church .. give to God .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am new to tithing I started tithing last month because of what the tithers said and because of the bible proofs they gave backing their claims. I was just offered a drastically reduced rate on my loans the savings to me is MORE than my tithe. I did not realize the bible had so much to say about tithing or that tithers had so many great testimonies. The tithers are right tithing works for real. Don't listen to the critics try tithing for yourself and see what happens. I am thanking God for his goodness. :clap::clap::clap:

Nobody wants to publish the tragedies faithful tithers have experienced in their lives.

Besides, refinancing is available to almost anyone, whether they tithe or not.

BTW

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is no storehouse.

i.e. if i don't save for retirement .. the church is not going to support me. that is just not a reasonable expectation. church is not a replacement of the community support system the Jews had.

The church typically doesn't minister to the poor, .. enough .. and quite often structures itself so people with money feel comfortable.

As the proverbs say .. give to the poor .. you give to God

no where in scripture does it say .. give to the church .. give to God .

Ahh, but there are many out there who think that handing their giving over to institutionalized religion IS giving to God.

That belief screams relativism if ever anything did.

BTW

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
David Jeremiah was once again in rare form this morning on American Family Radio.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that false teachers like him become popular by way of making claims that are more and more fantastic than before, which tickles the ears of their followers.

In today's false teaching aired on the radio, he dared claim that it's better to follow the OT Law for tithing than it is to follow the NT model!!!!!!!!

(stumbe backwards in utter disbelief)

If ever there was a man who dared bring to the forefront the reality of robbing God when one hands over to most of organized religion his or her primary giving, David Jeremiah is such a man.

Not ONCE in his tirade did he point out to his blind followers that the OT Law defined the tithe ONLY as the increase from fields, orchards, vineyards, flocks and heards.

Not ONCE in his tirade did he point out to his blind followers that the tithe NEVER had anything to do with the wages of wage earners.

He hammered on the words of Malachi without pointing out the deeper truths about what Malachi was addressing.

Why?

False teachers like David Jeremiah are the bottom-feeder types who convey falsehoods by way of the sins of omission. Failure to mention the most basic elements of the WHOLE TRUTH about a teaching is indeed nothing short of outright false teaching, because he knows full well what the masses following him assume about the OT tithe.

David Jeremiah is a sham and a coward.

He never responds to my inquiries of him to have a moderated debate on this issue. He hides behind the skirts of his female staff rather than to stand up like a man. Instead, he claims he's too busy to debate what he coniders a closed case.

I publically challenge him to debate this issue with me. This way nobody can accuse me of talking behind his back without a willingness to back what I've said right to his face.

David Jeremiah, you're a false teacher. I've conveyed that to you through your staff (since you're too afraid to answer your own phone and e-mails), and you're too much a cowardly lightweight in manly stature to stand up on your own two feet.

May the Lord have mercy on us all for all our falsehoods, but YOU (David Jeremiah) don't take seriously what Paul said when he stated that teachers will be judged DOUBLY.

That alone should cause any reasonable thinking man to seek out why he's being challenged on his teachings, but not David Jeremiah. He's choking so deeply on his own pride that he ignores anyone who dares endanger his popularity and his limelight.

What a farse.

BTW

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've seen the same old argument from silence fallacy repeated by several people throughout this thread.

Folks, presenting an argument from silence as the basis of one's stand on a doctrinal issue generally leaves one open to other arguments from silence that effectively refute the original claim.

Some have argued, "God never commanded that the tithe cease."

The fallacy of that claim causes the original statement to crumble under the massive weight of the fact that God also never commanded the OT Law governing the tithe be redefined to include the wages of wage earners.

God ALSO never commanded the tithe Abraham handed over to Melchizedek become a principle to be followed by generations to come.

Proof positive: Israel, at no time in her history, followed the example Abraham set forth.

God also never pointed at the divisive, preconditioned tithe Jacob offered as an example to be followed by generations to come.

Conclusion:

Pro-tithing teachers are left with nothing but their usual fare of emotional argumentation, sins of omission, misrepresentations, misinterpretations, and the many other falsehoods rountinely practiced by the hirelings of man-made religion most call "the church."

If institutionalized religion were truly representative of God, then we'd be serving one of the most fickle, multifaceted, inconsistent, fantasmic, dimpled, dented, materialistic, legalistic, demented, schizophrenic, personality disordered gods imaginable.

BTW

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
David Jeremiah was once again in rare form this morning on American Family Radio.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that false teachers like him become popular by way of making claims that are more and more fantastic than before, which tickles the ears of their followers.

In today's false teaching aired on the radio, he dared claim that it's better to follow the OT Law for tithing than it is to follow the NT model!!!!!!!!

(stumbe backwards in utter disbelief)

If ever there was a man who dared bring to the forefront the reality of robbing God when one hands over to most of organized religion his or her primary giving, David Jeremiah is such a man.

Not ONCE in his tirade did he point out to his blind followers that the OT Law defined the tithe ONLY as the increase from fields, orchards, vineyards, flocks and heards.

Not ONCE in his tirade did he point out to his blind followers that the tithe NEVER had anything to do with the wages of wage earners.

He hammered on the words of Malachi without pointing out the deeper truths about what Malachi was addressing.

Why?

False teachers like David Jeremiah are the bottom-feeder types who convey falsehoods by way of the sins of omission. Failure to mention the most basic elements of the WHOLE TRUTH about a teaching is indeed nothing short of outright false teaching, because he knows full well what the masses following him assume about the OT tithe.

David Jeremiah is a sham and a coward.

He never responds to my inquiries of him to have a moderated debate on this issue. He hides behind the skirts of his female staff rather than to stand up like a man. Instead, he claims he's too busy to debate what he coniders a closed case.

I publically challenge him to debate this issue with me. This way nobody can accuse me of talking behind his back without a willingness to back what I've said right to his face.

David Jeremiah, you're a false teacher. I've conveyed that to you through your staff (since you're too afraid to answer your own phone and e-mails), and you're too much a cowardly lightweight in manly stature to stand up on your own two feet.

May the Lord have mercy on us all for all our falsehoods, but YOU (David Jeremiah) don't take seriously what Paul said when he stated that teachers will be judged DOUBLY.

That alone should cause any reasonable thinking man to seek out why he's being challenged on his teachings, but not David Jeremiah. He's choking so deeply on his own pride that he ignores anyone who dares endanger his popularity and his limelight.

What a farse.

BTW

jeremiah tried the malachi 3 thing the other nite, really awful, and why doesn't that guy ever smile?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ahh, but there are many out there who think that handing their giving over to institutionalized religion IS giving to God.

That belief screams relativism if ever anything did.

BTW

Just because people believe giving to church is giving to god ..

does not make it so.

give to caesar .. that which is his ;)

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just because people believe giving to church is giving to god ..

does not make it so.

give to caesar .. that which is his ;)

It's sad that falsehoods repeated with such regularity enjoy such broad acceptance by the blind and ignorant masses.

Someone once argued that if support of the luxuries most call "the church" were secondary in believer's giving, then there would be fewer facilities as nice as what's out there now.

:doh:

BTW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's sad that falsehoods repeated with such regularity enjoy such broad acceptance by the blind and ignorant masses.

Someone once argued that if support of the luxuries most call "the church" were secondary in believer's giving, then there would be fewer facilities as nice as what's out there now.

:doh:

BTW

Yah . if i encounter a church that uses its funds wisely and is making positive change .. then i wouldn't mind being partnered with them in what they're doing .. but saying i'm giving to God wouldn't be scriptural or representational . if i'm giving to a ministry .. i'm partaking in their overall blessing . it's a symbiosis . but if i give to the poor .. sometimes i pick up their afflictions .. insomuch i gave more than silver or gold .

Upvote 0
J

johnj4Jesus

Praising God with you.

My parents raised all of us to tithe and we have seen the faithfulness of the Lord too. My parents raised us all on one income. My brother had his debts cancelled for no reason. I have had unexpected income when I needed it. My sister's husband had a business handed to him. We have had times when tithing was a sacrifice but we didn't waver and God has always come through.

God promises to take care of the tither and he does. By the numbers in the poll most christians have had the same experience.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
By the numbers in the poll most christians have had the same experience.

I have never in my life tithed, yet I have had the same experiences. I have also had unexpected income when I needed it most. I was financially blessed to the point I was able to retire at age 50, debt free. I have been healed of prescription drug addiction. I could go on and on.

Those who tithe and those who don't tithe have similar experiences in life.

I am also familiar with many who were or are tithers who seem to always have problems - financial and medical. But then, I also know many who don't tithe with similar problems.

If we are going to go by our own experiences, might as well throw away the Bible. God's Word then becomes something dis-proven by experiences.

I believe God's Word to be truth regardless of my or anyone else's experiences.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praising God with you.

My parents raised all of us to tithe and we have seen the faithfulness of the Lord too. My parents raised us all on one income. My brother had his debts cancelled for no reason. I have had unexpected income when I needed it. My sister's husband had a business handed to him. We have had times when tithing was a sacrifice but we didn't waver and God has always come through.

God promises to take care of the tither and he does. By the numbers in the poll most christians have had the same experience.

Experience is not the test of truth.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single

Praising God with you.

Thanks for the testimonies. Mine matches yours.

Scripture's full of tithing scriptures, which's how I started tithing (my church at the time didn't teach on tithing or giving).

The Lord Himself led me to His word on tithing and answered my questions, saying tithing pleases Him.

I started tithing out of obedience to Him and His word, and I've had blessing after blessing as you have.

His Word reveals is His will, and when we obey we won't be disappointed.

God's always good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Experience is not the test of truth.

You got that right. If experience were the acid test for TRUTH, then atheistic millionaires and pagans of all stripes would have the upper hand in the debate.

Instead, we're still faced with immovable facts not affected by experience, such as there's no such thing as an intellectual athiest. :p

BTW

Upvote 0
G

GodismySalvation

Tithing was instilled in me by my parents and grandparents. If they gave me a dollar they would say a dime of it was God's. Then, when I started earning a paycheck my mom explained that I am to tithe from the gross and not the net. Piece of cake. It wasn't until I got out on my own and for the first time I was faced with paying my tithes or my rent that I chose to not pay my tithes. I told myself that God knew my rent was due. I tell you what, Holy Ghost convicted me after I paid the rent. He led me to scriptures concerning faith. I repented and I have never again skipped paying tithes.

It is written, taste and see that the lord is good. It is true. I was on unemployment for a year, I could not find a job, but I faithfully tithed and gave whatever offering the Lord put on my heart to give. My friend, I wanted for nothing during that year and what's even more strange, or I should say miraculous, is that I was in debt almost $30,000. When I was laid off. One year later, I was only $6,000 in debt. How? I was only getting unemployment, which wasn't much, but God supplied my every need. I attribute it to my giving. I cannot out give God.
Amen. :clap:

Upvote 0
G

GodismySalvation

The church I attended years ago asked us to pray and ask God what to pledge to support the church. A month later we put the $ or % figure on a pledge card, signed them, put them into a basket, and offered them to the Lord. This happened once a year. They didn't teach on giving or tithing.

Later, within a period of a month or two, the Lord supernaturally led me to all the scriptures on tithing. I soon realized tithing's a bible pattern. When I asked Him about it. He said, "Tithing pleases Me". I checked out my finances and 10% wasn't doable. I couldn't pay my bills. He told me to trust Him, so I began tithing and the financial miracles started happening.

I've had money appear several times in my bank account, that couldn't be traced back to a source.

I've found large sums of money in envelopes, or in strange places at home.

I've had unexpected checks and refunds appear, in the mail or on my credit card.

I've had people (some of them strangers) hand me money.

God give me my first business supernaturally. I was unemployed and looking for work. I'd just bought a house and had huge bills. God had strangers phone me asking for a quote. They couldn't explain how they got my private number. I prayed, got a business name, and registered it quickly after this happened several times.

The interesting thing is each time I had a job interview, a call came to do a job. I prayed and felt earning immediate cash for a job was more important than showing up for an interview. After 3 or 4 months I realized I had a prosperous business and stopped looking for a regular job.

I didn't miss a bill or my tithe. God provided supernaturally for each need.

Upvote 0
G

GodismySalvation

I began in obedience, giving my obligatory 10%, then about 22 years ago God dealt with me about the tithe as an act of worship.

My life has never been the same since. The tithe isn't about money, it is about worship by giving. I tithe my money, my talents and my time. It is an amazing life of worship.

I'll post more later.

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Scripture's full of tithing scriptures, which's how I started tithing (my church at the time didn't teach on tithing or giving).

Followers of Christ Jesus are supposed to be honest at all times and at all costs. If you're bragging about a percentage you hand over to your religious church organization, that's one thing. However, to claim you're tithing in accordance with scripture, that's clearly dishonest or a claim eminating from gross ignorance.

The Lord Himself led me to His word on tithing and answered my questions, saying tithing pleases Him.

The Lord rarely ever instructed anyone to do what is contrary to His written word. When only the leftovers of one's giving is utilized for meeting needs of fellow believers and the needy in one's local community, that clearly violates the very word of God.

You see, I'm not intimidated when someone tries to apply the battering ram of "The Lord told me....." when such clearly violates the word of God you and everyone else here claims to follow.

I started tithing out of obedience to Him and His word, and I've had blessing after blessing as you have.

You make claims of modern tithing originating from God's word, and yet you show no such thing from any verse of the Bible. References without explanation as to what you see in those verses prove nothing.

If you think the Bible supports the practice of modern tithing, then please demonstrate such from scripture, coupled with a short dissertation of your own personal explanation as to why you think you're following scripture in practice.

If that scares you because of a deep-seated knowledge you're not able to effectively defend your words and actions from scripture, then I fully expect you to ignore my challenge, or write some sort of comeback you think is witty.

Are you up for the challenge, or will you tuck tail and run? It's up to you. The ball's in your court.

BTW

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.