• no

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • dedicated to tithing

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • on occasion

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • no tithing is required by God now

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • if there was no word "tithe" in the bible, would you still give?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many churches teach that we as Christians are supposed to give a minimum of 10% of our income to our church. Others teach that preachers of these churches are turning the 10% tithe in the Old Testament under the old covenant into a monetary, legalistic prescription for Christians in the New Testament.

Malachi 3:8 “Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me. “But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’ “In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. The whole nation of Israel. Malachi is written to Israel under the old covenant.

I even once heard a Pastor make a challenge to his congregation to give 10% of their income for 90 days and if God does not bless them then he will give them their money back.
upload_2021-1-4_5-8-3.gif

In 2 Corinthians 9:5-7 we read: Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren to go to you ahead of time, and prepare your generous gift beforehand, which you had previously promised, that it may be ready as a matter of generosity and not as a grudging obligation. But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

I don't see a "specific percentage" anywhere that is specifically commanded for Christians to give in the New Testament, but I certainly believe in giving with a cheerful heart and not just to our church. I also believe that everything we own belongs to God.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There was a tithing thread not long ago, I can't find it. There were pro's and con's.
The biggest argument against was that it is in the OT only.
One of the ministers I watch on occasion was discussing it today. He said:
It is in the NT....Mathew 23:23.
It was a good thread so maybe those against tithing would like to reply to this added info?

Matthew 23:23 New International Version (NIV)
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
One thing you lack, you have forgotten the poor and needy. It was part of the point of collecting a tithe.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm disabled and have been the entirety of my conversion to Christianity. I think the law of tithing doesn't exist, but that we should give as we are able, what lies on our hearts to give.

Because I'm notoriously broke, I give more sporadically. When my husband worked we gave more, now that he doesnt we really aren't giving anything, but we are only making it by the skin of our teeth too, 2 people trying to survive on 1,000 per month isn't easy.

However, when someone asks of me, I always do all I can and then some. I'll go without food to give in charity if asked.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There was a tithing thread not long ago, I can't find it. There were pro's and con's.
It was a good thread so maybe those against tithing would like to reply to this added info?

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Are NT Christians required to pay tithe NO!

I wonder how many Christians know what Matt 23:23 mint, anise & cummin even are?

Under Mosaic law it was Tithes (PLURAL) not tithe that was the required

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye "all the tithes" (PLURAL) into the storehouse,

Lev 27:
30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.
(MY NOTE: Land owners & herds man paid the tithes & only from the land given to Israel)

31 And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes (<Again/PLURAL), he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
(MY NOTE: a 20% fee was added for bringing cash)

32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
(MY NOTE: You marched your herd under a rod. If you had had 9 animals, you paid/gave none. If you had 19 you only paid/gave one. If you had 100 then 10 would have been required.)

Deut 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
(MY NOTE: Tithes were required on crop or herd """increases""". BTW nothing was EVER paid on any future increases/like a pay check. Also, fisherman paid nothing on their catch, tradesmen, cobblers, potters, the women who made the soldiers garments, the servants who worked in the fields for wages, were not required to pay tithe).

After the Temple was destroyed there was no where/reason to pay tithes.

Does our local Church & global ministries need our financial support? Of course, yes, ABSOLUTELY!

Acts 20:35 (C) Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
(NOTE: I see here a blessing promise from the Lord for freewill giving)

1 Cor 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
(NOTE: Bring WEEKLY your best freewill gift)

2 Corinthians 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
(NOTE: Give a little, receive a little, give a lot, receive a lot)

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, ""or of necessity"": for God loveth a cheerful giver.
(NOTE: A tithe was given out of the laws necessity. A worthless gift from todays believer. A freewill gift from the heart is loved and rewarded by our Lord. Even a drink of water given in His name Matt 10:42)

When it comes to giving. New covenant Christians are taught to give generously, sacrificial & expectant of a blessing in return. And most certainly be CHEERFULL FREEWILL GIVER'S!

We should all prayerfully examine our giving patterns. Pray earnestly that the Holy Spirit would challenge us. To see whether they are in line with God's New Testament plan of being Generous, Sacrificial, Cheerful Giver's!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I did not know the word tithe meant 10 percent. I didn't feel I should put a number on it as it is between the person and God what they give. I can't see that anyone is debating and the topic appears to be coming to a close.

my intent was not to criticize, just passing on some info :)

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
(Deu 14:22) Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
(Deu 14:23) And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
(Deu 14:24) And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
(Deu 14:25) Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
(Deu 14:26) And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
(Deu 14:27) And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

it can be argued that 'increase' means that which you have after necessary expenses have been satisfied - God does not expect people to go without food and shelter in order to give. the original purpose of the tithe was to celebrate the Lord's provision and protection - basically to party with God, while sharing with those less fortunate.

so if you have $1.00 after your necessary expenses are paid, then the 'low goal of giving' (tithe) would be $0.10...God is pleased by the right heart intent, not the amount of the gift.

here is the direction for giving in the NT:

(2Co 9:6) But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
(2Co 9:7) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
(2Co 9:8) And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
(2Co 9:9) (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
(2Co 9:10) Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness) ;
(2Co 9:11) Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
(2Co 9:12) For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
(2Co 9:13) Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
(2Co 9:14) And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.

(2Co 9:15) Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

if you are enriched by a ministry, you should give to them to help ensure that they can bless others as well - but the amount is not what pleases God, it is the heart intent. if you give because of the OT law, you give of necessity, which is not the heart intent that pleases God

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Matthew 23:23 is Jesus berating the Pharisees for picking and choosing how to apply the law. Emphasis on tithing is fairly normal but always ignores other bits of the law such as stoning criminals, not eating pork, etc.

Christians from very early on gave and gave abundantly. Giving was the method to get finances. Here's my take on the issue from a blog I wrote 14 years ago:

On Sunday my church had a sermon on our attitude to money and to giving. It got me thinking about tithes (which were avoided in the sermon). I have had a dislike of the way that churches apply tithing for a number of years. In fact I object to tithing in churches for three reasons: Firstly it is not being used for the purposes for which tithing was originated; secondly people tithe any money they have, without realising how tithes should be applied to their finances; and thirdly tithing is part of the law and we are no longer subject to the law.

Tithes (I believe that there are three of them) served a specific purpose in the Old Testament. They were not given to God, they were requested by God to be given to the priests and levites for them to live and to serve their functions. But if you examine their function, while it included spiritual guidance, it also involved a large number of practical issues. For example, they were expected to administer the law (so they were a police force and legal system), they were expected to administer health care, generally isolating the ill until such time as they were well again (a National Health Service) and they provide administration for the tribes (so they were a form of bureacracy). These are all functions that are rarely being provided by churches today. In fact it is our governments that provide most of the services that the priests and levites used to cater for, leaving only spiritual guidance to the church. In other words our tithe should be going to our governments (and in most cases it does in the form of taxes).

I have been in the church long enough to realise that tithes are often called for incorrectly. I have heard of cases of people praying for an exact sum of money to help them through difficulty and then tithing it when God provides. For example if you need £300 and you receive £300, but then tithe it you are still £30 short of the money you need. You are then forced to pray again to make up for the money you gave away and this time you have to remember to pray for £33.34 so that you can still take away 10% and be left with enough. If the money you received was originally from the church, then you are giving them back a portion of it, which is daft.

The whole point of tithing is not to give away a tenth of any money you get, but to give away a tenth of anything you produce. In today's society this means a tenth of what you earn, so any gifts are exempt from tithing. Bonuses from work are not exempt from this however, since most people get these based on their work patterns (length of service, importance to the company etc.). In other words the only thing that should be tithed is your pay packet. If you win £1 million in the lottery (you sinner!) you don't have to tithe it, since it did not require you to do any work.

I say all of this because I saw things when I was at college that really made me sick (and this was from the people in authority). At college we were encouraged to tithe our Student Grants and Student Loans. Think about these things for a moment. The Grant is a gift - you did not earn it by the sweat of your brow, you are entitled to it if you go to college, so it should not be tithed. Student Loans should not be tithed. In fact no loan should be tithed for simple reason that the money does not belong to you. Imagine you lending money to someone who desperately needs it to buy a car... and then they go on an expensive holiday abroad because they couldn't find the car they wanted.

Anyone who speculates on the stock market, or invests in property should consider how much time they spend doing that and whether it is part of their earnings, because if it is then it too should be tithed.

The final reason is the real reason I object to tithing: It is part of the Jewish Law, from which we have been freed by Jesus Christ. If we enforce tithing we should also enforce kosher foods and stoning those caught in adultery. Either the whole law applies or none of it does, else what justifies the laws that we have picked. It is interesting that tithing is never mentioned within the New Testament, though it was probably still going on in the first century.

Now lest Peter and Keith have visions of the money coming into the church drying up completely, not tithing does not exempt us from using our money wisely. It comes back to the purpose of the sermon on Sunday - Christians should be giving not tithing, and giving generously too. Take a look at the examples given in the New Testament. For example the widow who gave not 10% but 100%. Or Barnabus who sold one of his houses to provide money for the church, or the Macedonian church who are commended for their giving in 2 Corinthinans.

The first Bible verse I ever learned (before I was even a Christian) was 'God loves a cheerful giver'. The next time you give to the church (or any other needy cause) do so with joy in your heart knowing that what you do is furthering the Kingdom of God, and not an outdated legalistic requirement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We have to understand that we are not under the Old Covenant anymore. The New Covenant (or New Testament) officially began with Christ's death upon the cross. A New Covenant means new rules or new ways of doing things. The New Covenant way of giving is provided for us in 2 Corinthians 9:7 that says:

“Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.” (2 Corinthians 9:7).​

Giving what is purposed in your heart to give and not out of compulsion or necessity is contradictory to a mandated 10% tithe as given to us in the Old Covenant.

In fact, Jesus mentioned to a man to reconcile with his brother first before offering an animal for sacrifice (i.e. gift), but obviously we do not offer animal sacrifices anymore because we are under a New Covenant (See: Matthew 5:23-24). Hebrews 7:12 basically says the Law has changed along with the priesthood being changed.

Side Note:

Okay. I just now noticed that another has already quoted 2 Corinthians 9:7. So it looks like someone beat me to the punch. Anyways, think... we are under a New Covenant with New Commands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I like tithing not just because the Bible mentions it but because it does something awesome in connection to my spiritual well being. I can actually feel something wholesome going on under the surface when I tithe. I have not always stopped to consider to positive personal effects associated with tithing but they are there and I feel them. It is a quick perk of a blessing not in relation to puffed up self-righteous fuzziness. It is like a brief, joyful but powerful zap of happiness from the Lord.

Also, I remember a time when my hubby and I were uncertain if funds that came our way should be tithed on. I decided it was a gray area and I wanted to see if anything would happen if I did not tithe on said funds. I have hardcore dedication to at least trying to do right by the Lord as best as I can so I assumed something might happen good or bad if I stopped tithing on those certain funds for a time. So I stopped tithing for a few months on a specific type of benefit overage.

Sure enough something happened alright. I started to personally get greedy. It was suddenly like material contentment was lost and I hated doing that to myself. So after about 3-6 month of that business, I paid all that tithe back and then some. Amen. The pastor of our church even called/email my hubby afterwards seeming to assume I sent a mistaken amount of funds to the church. So I have also learned to be careful not to freak out pastors with built up tithe either. They don't handle it smoothly if you build it up like in between moves and upon arriving at a new church you suddenly unload tithing funds from when you were between churches. You suddenly get unwanted extra attention from the new pastor. And then they get disappointed when they realize if was not your usual income tithe.

So, tithe is good for the soul. It actually stops discontentment and greed. Not everyone can handle the fact that some tithe. Not even pastoral staffers know how to handle tithers--just like everyone else, please and thank you-- sometimes making everyone uncomfortable.

No matter what people and their money are sensitive topics. Even my hubby and I have disagreed. And I certainly was not always in the right. I try not to get into anyone else's tithing business. The Bible and the Holy Spirit led me personally though.

I like what one pastor did. He made a point not to know who the tithers were. Someone else handled those records. I assume this is because he did not want to show favoritism. Wise pastor. Good man. Since the New Testament does not require tithing in line with a holy sacrament, I'm not worried if people don't tithe. People seem to give as it is. I'm not stressing who tithes or who does not. God's got it. I don't think tithing will solve as many problems in the church as some would assume.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Tithing in the OT was Israel's federal income tax. It had a series of mandated percentages to be paid to the treasury on given years.

And, then, there were the offerings. Giving as onto the Lord, as one has determined in their heart.

In the Church age we are no longer citizens of Israel under a theocracy. Now the believer is to pay income taxes accordingly to his own nation.

As far as giving to the churches? No percentage is mandated. Its now to be according to how much wants to give.

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to
give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful
giver."
2 Cor 9:7​

Note... the statement.. " God loves a cheerful giver.." was not addressed to those giving. It was addressed to those taking the collection.

It was a warning to those collecting the money, not to use manipulations to get people to give. That is why it says... "not reluctantly or under compulsion." For, a believer who is compelled to give? Give any amount? It will make them not cheerful when they feel compelled give. And, by adding insult to injury demanding that they be cheerful when giving!

It means, God wants to see a cheerful giver, so you who collect the money better not emotionally blackmail the people by mandating any amount to give! An oppressed people are not "a cheerful people." Do you feel cheerful when you pay your taxes?

An added note...

My church is an example of a grace oriented congregation. No tithing. The following is the official ministry policy for ordering any recorded messages, or books. I deleted the church's name because its the Biblical principle that counts, not some church's name.

********is a grace ministry and operates entirely on voluntary contributions. There is no price list for any of our material. No money is requested. When gratitude for the Word of God motivates a believer to give, he has the privilege of contributing to the dissemination of Bible doctrine.

grace and peace.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One thing you lack, you have forgotten the poor and needy. It was part of the point of collecting a tithe.
I didn't exclude anything in your reasoning for tithing. Only you know your intent of where it should go. I tithe in the hopes it goes to spreading Gods word but I leave it in the hands of the church I give it to.

Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2020
Queensland
✟14,297.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biggest case in the NT is Hebrews 7, where it indicates that Jesus is according to the priesthood of Melchizedek. And it makes the further case that Levi (who received tithes) tithed to Melchizedek through Abraham (so to speak), because Abraham who had him [in his loins] tithed to Melchizedek. It is making the point that Melchizedek is 'better' than Levi's priesthood in making the case that Levi in essence tithed to Melchizedek.

What's interesting about this is NOT that it mandates us to tithe, but it takes the principle as one that precedes the law of Moses, and applies to Abraham to Melchizedek (Jesus), who was before the priesthood of the Old Covenant. It is often the case that what came before the law is a principle that isn't only 'bound up' within it. Now the law-formal often confirmed these principles.... but... as another example (and not to get side-tracked), it's interesting that the not eating of blood was commanded in Genesis 9, confirmed in the law, and also affirmed in Acts 15. What was before the law in a way goes beyond it too.

My personal position based on these things is that it is a good principle (it's not that Abraham was commanded per se to do this, but he showed it as a good principle to do), but not a mandated one. If one has heaps and heaps in this world, I don't think they could legalistically claim the LORD will stop at a 10% request. He didn't with the 'rich man' who went away sad.

Further to this however - I think the principle of supporting Gospel preachers is there in Timothy in them getting 'double honour' and that Paul said the Gospel workers were worthy of their wages in 1Cor 9. I DON'T think that this is purely a 10% fulfillment. There was also the support of travelling gospel workers given (as hospitality) in 3John....

I don't think simplistically speaking even as 'a good principle' the church gets 10%. No. If a good principle (as a type of MINIMUM or something) is to give 10% to Jesus [Melchizedek], then Jesus himself said that giving to the poor BROTHERS and sisters of his was as giving to him. Thus, giving should not be thought of as just 'giving to your church'. In fact nearly ALL of the NT verses on giving was the "ministry of the saints" which was to the poorer brothers suffering a famine in Jerusalem, VOLUNTARILY taken from the better off churches.

And this is the main issue with claiming it is 'commanded' in the NT. All of this has to be voluntary - and even under the Old Covenant God hated that which was not from the heart, for it was not sacrifices he desired. At the same time, those that didn't do according to it were not acting rightly. So good luck to the one who claims God does not desire them to give, for Jesus said that their generosity is the measure of their soul - Matt 6:22-23 - And good luck to the one who legalistically says in their heart, "God this is exactly your 10%, and now I have pleased you".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I didn't exclude anything in your reasoning for tithing. Only you know your intent of where it should go. I tithe in the hopes it goes to spreading Gods word but I leave it in the hands of the church I give it to.
According to the scripture.

Tithing is something that was done in Israel so that the Levites would have a means of supporting themselves because their progenitor was evil and caused trouble. (thus not having a land inheritance) Also it served to fill a store house so that the poor could be provided from it.

Offerings towards a ministry make you a partner with that ministry according to scripture.

Giving to the poor is equated with giving to God, according to scripture.

So if you want to give to God directly, give to the benevolent fund at church or to people in need directly.

That is my advice, and do as you are lead.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You have probably noticed I have added an addition to the title, sorry. and an additional vote for TO CAUSE CONFUSION. I hope you can figure out what I was aiming for.
IF THERE WAS NO WORD 'TITHE' OR ANY KIND OF IMPLICATION TO GIVING, WOULD YOU GIVE TO GOD?
Last two poll questions can be answered in the reply section but then it won't be a secret:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You have probably noticed I have added an addition to the title, sorry. and an additional vote for. I hope you can figure out what I was aiming for.
IF THERE WAS NO WORD 'TITHE' OR ANY KIND OF IMPLICATION TO GIVING, WOULD YOU GIVE TO GOD?
The idea of "sixpence none the richer" applies there. What can be given to God? He already has everything. (and gives us everything) This might be why God regards those who give to the poor, as giving to Him - since they have nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The ideal amount would be a little more vague. 10% gives me a framework. We give offerings based on how much under-budget we were in the previous month (which is the norm).

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The biggest case in the NT is Hebrews 7, where it indicates that Jesus is according to the priesthood of Melchizedek.

Abram tithing in Hebrews:

Gen 14: Abram gives 10% (vs 20) of the best of the war spoils he'd taken. To the Priest & King of Salem, Melchizedek.

Abram gives the best 10% of the war spoils to Melchizedek. And the remaining 90% to Sodom & Gomorrah (vs 24). Abram kept NOTHING for himself!

Abram NEVER PAID/TITHED 10% of his personal items. No cattle, oil, wine, corn, wheat & NO MONEY! Only booty from the Kings he conquered while retrieving his kidnapped nephew Lot.

NT giving shouldn't be based on a mandatory tithe.

It should be based on the 1st fruit offering. We should put God's work 1st. Give the 1st & best of ourselves to God. God will then bless all that comes afterward (Lk 6:38).

Last edited:
Upvote 0