• no

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • dedicated to tithing

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • on occasion

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • no tithing is required by God now

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • if there was no word "tithe" in the bible, would you still give?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are we including "giving" or "offering" in this topic as well? Or just tithing, as in giving 10% as a rule, regardless of one's financial situation?
I think tithing is on its own. There is also alms but I am not any expert on the others. Maybe someone knows the meaning of alms, offering, and giving. Definitions.

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
you need to add one more choice:

-10% isn't enough

(Luk 6:38) Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

if you believe that the measure you use to give will be the measure used as you are given to, and if you can give with a 15% measure, why would you give with a 10% measure instead?
Don't know why I would limit anyone to 10 percent?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I got a chuckle out of this.
I agree with him. When you think that God might do that with you it makes you think you can't afford not to.:)

"Gary O' said:
I cannot afford to not tithe"

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agree with him. When you think that God might do that with you it makes you think you can't afford not to.:)

"Gary O' said:
I cannot afford to not tithe"

It's funny because it's true.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are we including "giving" or "offering" in this topic as well? Or just tithing, as in giving 10% as a rule, regardless of one's financial situation?
That question comes up,
"regardless of one's financial situation"
That is between you and God in my opinion.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is there a difference between answering "yes" and answering "dedicated to tithing"?
I think dedicated, my word, means no matter what, you tithe. It is a part of your life.

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In Matthew 23:23 and Luke 11:42, Jesus is describing the actions of the hypocrites under the old Covenant. The Church begins at Calvary (or Pentecost-your choice) and since then 'tithing (a tenth) is never mentioned, yet God loves a cheerful and free giver.
I think the pastor made a good point with mathew 23:23
You'd have to take it up with him as I am just presenting the scripture that could cover the NT which was a huge disagreement in the last thread on this. At that time no one could say tithes was mentioned in anyway in the NT.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is interesting. The last thread it seems there were more nays to whether you should tithe.
All kinds of excuses.
So far I don't think anyone has objected.
Seemed like one guy kept coming back almost everyday with a new argument why not to tithe, lol.
:oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is interesting. The last thread it seems there were more nays to whether you should tithe.
All kinds of excuses.
So far I don't think anyone has objected.
Seemed like one guy kept coming back almost everyday with a new argument why not to tithe, lol.
:oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

We have always tithed, and often times above the 10 percent mark when there was a lot of need, and found that God blesses a generous heart. If we give like a grudger then it doesn't matter how much we give God is not pleased with our sacrifice. He seeks a heart that is willing to give when he or she receives.

A thankful God loving heart will always tithe i reckon.

Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua watched the offering plate and noticed who gave and how much. Then He remarked "For they all put in from their abundance, but she from her need has put in everything she had - all she had to live on.” (Mark 12:44). Seems like Yeshua would have taken the opportunity to tell His disciples that soon tithes/offerings/giving wouldnt need be given if that was going to be the case.

Or do we think He let the poor widow put in everything she had without blessing her as promised in thr OT - Mal 3:10?

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Don't know why I would limit anyone to 10 percent?

tithe means 10%; but you didn't list a choice for 'more than the tithe (more than 10%)' in your initial survey

if memory serves me well, according to the rules for the 'Requests For Christian Advice' forum, debate isn't allowed; and advisors should only respond to the requestor that started the thread - maybe you should post this poll in another forum where debate is allowed - i think you'll then get more of the responses you expected :)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
tithe means 10%; but you didn't list a choice for 'more than the tithe (more than 10%)' in your initial survey

if memory serves me well, according to the rules for the 'Requests For Christian Advice' forum, debate isn't allowed; and advisors should only respond to the requestor that started the thread - maybe you should post this poll in another forum where debate is allowed - i think you'll then get more of the responses you expected :)
I did not know the word tithe meant 10 percent. I didn't feel I should put a number on it as it is between the person and God what they give. I can't see that anyone is debating and the topic appears to be coming to a close.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lg2000

Dec 15, 2003
L.A.
✟20,113.00
Faith
Christian
As long as im serving the lord i will tithe. I dont do exactly 10 percent on the dot, i do a little extra. I dont really work right now but all the money i get monthly , like for child support ,etc i tithe.

I had no problem spending lots of money for my vices i had when i wasnt following and serving the lord , therefore no reason for me to have a problem giving to the lord .
God somehow always provides and i dont worry about it.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I guess if the folks that were so against the need to tithe come forward I will have to move it to another location.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There was a tithing thread not long ago, I can't find it. There were pro's and con's.
The biggest argument against was that it is in the OT only.
One of the ministers I watch on occasion was discussing it today. He said:
It is in the NT....Mathew 23:23.
It was a good thread so maybe those against tithing would like to reply to this added info?

Matthew 23:23 New International Version (NIV)
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

One tenth is a good rule of thumb, but not something I stricly follow. Some months I give 2%, other 20% or more. So it depends. We are to use our money wisely for the Kingdom of God. I have in my past been irresponsible in my giving, so be wise about it. God bless!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,367.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a tithing thread not long ago, I can't find it. There were pro's and con's.
The biggest argument against was that it is in the OT only.
One of the ministers I watch on occasion was discussing it today. He said:
It is in the NT....Mathew 23:23.
It was a good thread so maybe those against tithing would like to reply to this added info?

Matthew 23:23 New International Version (NIV)
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

It's not "in" the NT - Jesus mentioned it on one occasion, when talking to Pharisees who rejected the Messiah and kept their law.

Neither Jesus nor the early church taught that Gentile converts had to tithe - the NT example is that believers gave everything, Acts of the Apostles 2:45, and Paul said that people should give as they have decided and not under compulsion, 2 Corinthians 9:7.

If someone is arguing that tithing is taught in the Bible and therefore should be obeyed, then they should obey it as it is taught.
That means taking 10% of their crops to Jerusalem, or another place where the Lord has put his name, and eating it there, in the presence of the Lord. Every 3 years, all the tithes from that year's produce should be stored, so that the Levites, who have no allotments, and the poor, and foreigners, may also eat it, Deuteronomy 14:22-29.
The only time that money should be involved is if 10% of your crops is much too heavy for you to carry to Jerusalem. Then, you can sell that 10%, carry the money to Jerusalem, buy food with that money and eat that food, Deuteronomy 14:24-26.

But I have never seen this taught.
Tithing, these days, is "you must give 10% of your income to the church" - usually to maintain buildings and pay wages - "because the Bible teaches tithing."

The Bible does not say that, and, imo, it is incorrect to teach that giving 10% of your wages is the same as OT tithing.
The NT teaching is that everything we have comes from the Lord and we should give as he directs us to give.

Upvote 0