United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not entirely, of course, but she's saying a lot of things I've thought or felt:
I Got Ordained So I Can Talk About Jesus. Not the Female Pastor Debate.
I am an ordained minister in a large Southern denomination. The denomination mostly does not accept women pastors. '98-'08 my day job was I worked for the Department of Defense in Korea. One of the chaplains in the base chapel was a female Captain who belonged to the large denomination. Although she had been a Chaplain long enough to earn the rank of Captain, at least 6-7 years, the denomination suddenly decided to revoke her ordination. Losing her ordination would have ended her military career unless she could be ordained by another denomination. I left there before the situation was resolved. IMHO I believed that she was as well qualified and effective as any male Chaplain serving in the chapel.
.....In the same denomination a few years earlier in a large church in Ky the senior pastor retired, the church voted to hire one of the associate pastors, a woman, as senior pastor. She had been an adjunct professor when I was in seminary. When the denominational hierarchy learned of it they threatened to kick the church out of the association if they went through with it. I don't know how that one turned out either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I would guess that with so many Bible verses forbidding female Pastors it gets difficult to defend your position as Pastor when you are a woman.

I hope that is not OT. I'm not saying their ordination is invalid, just that the Bible says it is. Individual denominations do whatever they want so......

Yes, that violates the rules of this forum. See "House Rules" in our Statement of Purpose

Obviously we don't believe you are correctly interpreting those "so many verses." If we did, Paidiske wouldn't be a priest, and none of us would be egalitarians.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you need to be ordained to talk about Jesus?

I talk about Jesus (as a woman) and I am not ordained (whatever that is) I honestly dont know what that is.

One of the things in the article that really resonated with me was her comment about the "public authority and institutional accountability that comes from ordination." Both are important. Yes, I can talk about Jesus without being ordained. But when I do so as an ordained person, it comes out not just as my view but with the backing of a community of faith who have authorised me to speak about these things on their behalf. And, I am also held accountable. When I misspeak, when I get something wrong or when I say or do something harmful, there are structures and processes through which I can be corrected and, if need be, even removed from the role. Ways for the community of faith to make clear that they don't stand behind what I've said or done.

I've backed away from informal ministry opportunities that don't have that accountability at times, because it wasn't safe - for me or the other people concerned - that I operate without that support and safety net.

The meaning of ordination depends a bit on your denomination, but in general it's the process of authorising someone for ministry in or on behalf of the church into a particular role as "clergy."

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the things in the article that really resonated with me was her comment about the "public authority and institutional accountability that comes from ordination." Both are important. Yes, I can talk about Jesus without being ordained. But when I do so as an ordained person, it comes out not just as my view but with the backing of a community of faith who have authorised me to speak about these things on their behalf. And, I am also held accountable. When I misspeak, when I get something wrong or when I say or do something harmful, there are structures and processes through which I can be corrected and, if need be, even removed from the role. Ways for the community of faith to make clear that they don't stand behind what I've said or done.

I've backed away from informal ministry opportunities that don't have that accountability at times, because it wasn't safe - for me or the other people concerned - that I operate without that support and safety net.

The meaning of ordination depends a bit on your denomination, but in general it's the process of authorising someone for ministry in or on behalf of the church into a particular role as "clergy."

Thanks for helping to explain that, its something I couldnt wrap my brain around or even understand the importance of it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

4UallPraise

disabled entertainment
Apr 24, 2021
west coast
✟17,484.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Celibate
I would guess that with so many Bible verses forbidding female Pastors it gets difficult to defend your position as Pastor when you are a woman.

I hope that is not OT. I'm not saying their ordination is invalid, just that the Bible says it is. Individual denominations do whatever they want so......
If you think that God ordains according to flesh then you are posting in the wrong forum.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If you think that God ordains according to flesh then you are posting in the wrong forum.
Right, that's been established so I deleted my post. I wasn't posting my personal feelings, just a question about what I thought the Bible said. I guess I have misinterpreted verses in my NRSV Bible. I will go to another forum to discuss how I misapplied these and other passages.

1 Timothy 2:11-12
1 Corinthians 14:34

Men and women are equals. The only difference is one can make a baby, one can't.

Upvote 0

4UallPraise

disabled entertainment
Apr 24, 2021
west coast
✟17,484.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Celibate
Right, that's been established so I deleted my post. I wasn't posting my personal feelings, just a question about what I thought the Bible said. I guess I have misinterpreted verses in my NRSV Bible. I will go to another forum to discuss how I misapplied these and other passages.

1 Timothy 2:11-12
1 Corinthians 14:34

Men and women are equals. The only difference is one can make a baby, one can't.
I have answered your new thread on the matter Female ordination

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's something ironic about posting about the frustrations of constantly having to defend one's ministry, turning into yet another occasion of having to defend one's ministry...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We should have reached the point where gender is not an issue when it comes to preaching the Gospel or doing God's work. Some of the holiest, most Christian people I have known have been women. Perhaps the majority. And of various faiths. Many of them were not ordained according to the rules of their denomination, but they were responding to God's call, often better and more sincerely than many ordained men.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0