This mayor won’t stop posting racist memes. He won’t resign, either.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The difference between your complaints about people saying offensive things to you and someone displaying their racist beliefs is that there is data that demonstrates the effects of that bias from employment opportunity, housing and criminal justice. They are not merely words, they are words followed by gross discrimination in bigotry in other arenas. It is admirable that people wish to remove such racists from government because they do have an effect.

I seriously doubt what he says on facebook has any effect on what he does as a Mayor. People who read what he writes might get mad, but that's about the only effect it can have. Now, if he implemented an ordinance based on those things, that would be different. But as it exists now, we're only talking about facebook postings.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I seriously doubt what he says on facebook has any effect on what he does as a Mayor. People who read what he writes might get mad, but that's about the only effect it can have. Now, if he implemented an ordinance based on those things, that would be different. But as it exists now, we're only talking about facebook postings.
Except the data that shows the specter of racism that still exists in the United States. "I doubt..." is not to the same level of data. You can continue to live in your world of denial, it's not as if actual evidence of racism will change your mind.

Upvote 0

The Hammer of Witches

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 7, 2016
America
✟14,999.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Again, you are arguing a straw man, no one said he had no say racist things. Yet again, folks are demonstrating the point made earlier. Whenever it is a racist, the usual suspect run in yelling "Free speech!" When it is not a racist, they have nothing to say about free speech and offer their support or criticism (usually criticism). Such attitudes reveal a lot.
My argument is a straw man? Free speech is free speech, remember this
“I don’t agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” --Evelyn Beatrice Hall summing up Voltaire's beliefs

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
My argument is a straw man? Free speech is free speech, remember this
“I don’t agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” --Evelyn Beatrice Hall summing up Voltaire's beliefs
Your argument is a straw man because no one was attacking free speech. And the "defense of free speech" argument would be more valid if "free speechers" were more consistent. If it's a football player kneeling or something considered liberal, "free speechers" are nowhere to be found. The reality, this is not about someone's right to free speech (please demonstrate where the government is censoring someone's speech), it's about "free speechers" always happening to be in a space where they're defending racists. People in this thread are arguing the mayor's posts were not racist, how is that about free speech?

Upvote 0

The Hammer of Witches

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 7, 2016
America
✟14,999.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Your argument is a straw man because no one was attacking free speech. And the "defense of free speech" argument would be more valid if "free speechers" were more consistent. If it's a football player kneeling or something considered liberal, "free speechers" are nowhere to be found. The reality, this is not about someone's right to free speech (please demonstrate where the government is censoring someone's speech), it's about "free speechers" always happening to be in a space where they're defending racists. People in this thread are arguing the mayor's posts were not racist, how is that about free speech?
The mayors posts were obviously racist. My point was that he has the right to say those things, and the people should not be mad because they're the ones who elected a racist in the first place. That is the problem with democracy, it fails without education. This presidential election is a prime example.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The mayors posts were obviously racist. My point was that he has the right to say those things, and the people should not be mad because they're the ones who elected a racist in the first place. That is the problem with democracy, it fails without education. This presidential election is a prime example.
Again, you're making a non-argument, you do not need to reiterate that it is his right to make racist statements. Where is his right to make racist statements being infringed by the government? Where is anyone calling for those rights to be infringed?

The man was elected in 2013, the offending posts were not made then, so you're argument is not even valid. Also considering he ran in an unopposed election, I am fairly certain he would have had an opponent had he posted this in 2013.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Except the data that shows the specter of racism that still exists in the United States. "I doubt..." is not to the same level of data. You can continue to live in your world of denial, it's not as if actual evidence of racism will change your mind.

Let's see your data, and then we can discuss that.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Did you read the article in the second link? It shows different behavior in blacks that result in what you are trying to prove. For example: Sell illegal drugs out in the open in view of the police and you're more likely to get arrested.
The second link is about African Americans looking for jobs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Council Voting on Mayor's Resignation Plan Over Racist Posts
A Pennsylvania town council is expected to vote on a resignation proposal by the mayor after an uproar over racist posts on his Facebook page, including two depicting apes with captions referring to President Barack Obama and his family.

One image of a wagon full of orangutans refers to "moving day" at the White House. Another referred to lynching.
To quote the mayor, "The racist stuff, yeah. I'll admit I did that."

And to think we have people in this thread trying to argue otherwise.

Upvote 0