This fumes me.

Apr 30, 2006
Seoul, South Korea
✟9,229.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...XICO-MICROSOFT-IMMIGRATION.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Ok I don't live in America anymore and honestly I am not ever planning on going back. Part of the reason is the lack of lucrative employment opportunities. Now we have Bill Gates begging to have immigrants from Mexico be granted resident status so they can work in "skilled jobs". Hey Bill....what about all the skilled American workers who can't get any company to hire them? This is offensive and in my opinion it boils down to companies wanting cheap labor.

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Immigration and outsourcing aren't the reasons for job losses in the U.S., but rather a relative decrease in the level of education in proportion to the levels of technological prowess necessary for growing industries in the U.S. If the U.S. REALLY wants to stop losing jobs, the government will subsidize higher education further than it already has.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2006
Seoul, South Korea
✟9,229.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Immigration and outsourcing aren't the reasons for job losses in the U.S., but rather a relative decrease in the level of education in proportion to the levels of technological prowess necessary for growing industries in the U.S. If the U.S. REALLY wants to stop losing jobs, the government will subsidize higher education further than it already has.
I don't buy the argumenty that there are no qualified people out there. I graduated with many people and we were all physical science majors with technical backgrounds and none of us were offered any lucrative employment opportunities. If overseas crowds are producing such great graduates then why pray tell aren't legions of US students going abroad and getting a better education? I see the opposite happening lots of foreigners are trying to get into our colleges.

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't buy the argumenty that there are no qualified people out there.

Thaaaaat's...not exactly my argument. My argument is that the number is declining in the U.S., not that there aren't any out there.

If overseas crowds are producing such great graduates then why pray tell aren't legions of US students going abroad and getting a better education?

Because the standards of living in those countries are considerably lower than they are here.

Upvote 0

Gimpy

Senior Veteran
May 26, 2005
California
✟23,718.00
Faith
Christian
That is sooo the corporate answer they would like us to believe. It is simple economics. Cheaper labor.
We have more than enough qualified labor here but the corporates are moving over seas and/or getting the number of H1 visas increased because the labor over seas is less than half the cost and the H1 visas are about half the cost.

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is sooo the corporate answer they would like us to believe. It is simple economics. Cheaper labor.
We have more than enough qualified labor here but the corporates are moving over seas and/or getting the number of H1 visas increased because the labor over seas is less than half the cost and the H1 visas are about half the cost.

That's part of it, but my point is, if we want to stop losing jobs, the best way is to start subsidizing education for high-tech jobs.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2006
Seoul, South Korea
✟9,229.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's part of it, but my point is, if we want to stop losing jobs, the best way is to start subsidizing education for high-tech jobs.
That wont make any difference if they are not willing to pay people livable salaries for those jobs cause the outsourcing will continue. Trust me there are plenty of qualified people to fill these jobs. The problem is that not many Americans are willing to work for 7:00 an hour. foreigners will because thats likely 5 times in some cases what they could make back home. There are plenty of graduates in high tech programs and if a shortage of qualified applicants DID exist then people in the industry already would be getting premium wages and that is simply NOT happening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gam3rG1rl4Chr1st

Mar 11, 2007
Bay Area, California
✟16,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the original poster, this kind of thing is an outrage. I live in California and I know firsthand what kind of "skills" these illegals have and what kind of work they're actually doing because I see it every day around here.

Don't even get me started on all the insane things that the US government is trying to do for the illegals. But I'm with the original poster about moving out of the US because if things don't get straightened out soon, the US as we know it will cease to exist. Many states may not see it because they don't see a lot of illegal immigrants, but all I have to do is look out my front window and they're everywhere. According to the news last night, the Los Angeles population is changing drastically. The news said that over 700,000 LEGAL citizens were moving OUT of LA last year. And who took their place? Why 600,000 ILLEGAL immigrants! We are slowly being pushed north here in California. They want California back and they're succeeding by sheer numbers. And while some of these I'm sure are "skilled workers", the majority, according to police departments in Southern California at least are criminals and gang members who are not interested in any kind of skilled jobs, but in the drug market that now thrives in Southern California.

This may not be how it is everwhere with the illegals, but it sure is out here in California. Oh boy, I said I wasn't gonna get started. LOL. ;)

Upvote 0

Super Gnat

Take my hand, precious Lord, and lead me home
Sep 15, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio--Go Cavs!
Visit site
✟16,409.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What does that have to do with it? Bill Gates is asking for more legal immigration. From the article:

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates, the world's richest man, said on Tuesday the United States should reform its immigration laws and give more flexibility to higher-skilled foreign workers.
[...]
Gates, who runs a foundation with his wife that is the world's largest charity, said flexibility of movement for higher-skilled workers was especially important for his global company.
"I think every country in the world should make it easier for people with high skills to come in," he said.

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with the original poster, this kind of thing is an outrage. I live in California and I know firsthand what kind of "skills" these illegals have and what kind of work they're actually doing because I see it every day around here.

Don't even get me started on all the insane things that the US government is trying to do for the illegals. But I'm with the original poster about moving out of the US because if things don't get straightened out soon, the US as we know it will cease to exist. Many states may not see it because they don't see a lot of illegal immigrants, but all I have to do is look out my front window and they're everywhere. According to the news last night, the Los Angeles population is changing drastically. The news said that over 700,000 LEGAL citizens were moving OUT of LA last year. And who took their place? Why 600,000 ILLEGAL immigrants! We are slowly being pushed north here in California. They want California back and they're succeeding by sheer numbers. And while some of these I'm sure are "skilled workers", the majority, according to police departments in Southern California at least are criminals and gang members who are not interested in any kind of skilled jobs, but in the drug market that now thrives in Southern California.

This may not be how it is everwhere with the illegals, but it sure is out here in California. Oh boy, I said I wasn't gonna get started. LOL. ;)
Could I see the police department reports which say that a majority of them are criminals, please?

Being a lifelong Californian myself, my impression of illegal workers is that they are, on average, hard-working, honest, God-fearing people who do jobs that the rest of us don't want to do, and unfortunately, they are a completely necessary part of our societal infrastructure. California's number one export is agriculture; it would be a shame for that industry to come to a screeching halt just because we decided to crack down on illegals.

Upvote 0

Gam3rG1rl4Chr1st

Mar 11, 2007
Bay Area, California
✟16,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
lol Hey don't shoot the messenger, KomissarSteve. :D I'm just saying what the news said. :p I don't have the reports from the police department because like I said, I was just saying what I heard on the news.

But just to put a different perspective on it, the fact that they are over here illegally is in itself a crime, is it not? :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
lol Hey don't shoot the messenger, KomissarSteve. :D I'm just saying what the news said. :p I don't have the reports from the police department because like I said, I was just saying what I heard on the news.

But just to put a different perspective on it, the fact that they are over here illegally is in itself a crime, is it not? :doh:
It is a crime, but it's also oftentimes the lesser of two evils. Far better for them to break that law so that they can find work and give their children the opportunity to become productive members of our society, which they often do, than to let them live and die in abject poverty in Mexico.

Upvote 0

Gam3rG1rl4Chr1st

Mar 11, 2007
Bay Area, California
✟16,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't argue with that.

I guess I'm just tired of catering to their every need, you know? They get better health care than a lot of people with actual health insurance. Did you know that? An illegal immigrant can get an expensive wheelchair for their child because we have programs to help them like that. But a person who is a citizen here, pays their taxes, and has insurance, can't get that same wheelchair for their child because their insurance doesn't cover it. That isn't to say that the illegal immigrant's child doesn't deserve the wheelchair, I'm just saying that we shouldn't deny our law-abiding citizens the things that illegals can get.

And they should at least attempt to speak English. If I were moving to a different country, I would make every effort to learn that country's language so I could communicate. I'm very tired of hearing Spanish everywhere I go. And I'm tired of having all the phone messages at businesses give the options in Spanish. And I'm tired of seeing signs and banners and things with English and Spanish on them. It's unfair of them to expect everyone to learn their language just so we can communicate with them when they're living in our country. I don't know. I just see the need for a lot of change. I don't want to hurt them and I don't want them to die in poverty. We've got a tough situation on our hands and I have yet to see anyone come up with a good answer to this problem.

Upvote 0