Employees’ retirement Savings Are Funding Private Equity’s Child Labor Exploitation

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Public employees’ retirement savings have funded the private equity takeovers of companies that used child labor in dangerous factories.

That company, a sanitation contractor called Packers Sanitation Services Inc., has been repeatedly bought and sold by private equity funds that manage retirement money for state and local public employees, according to a Lever review.

In other words, public officials have been using the retirement savings of unionized teachers, firefighters, and police officers to capitalize — and help Wall Street executives profit from — an outsourcing business that has used low-paid immigrants and even children for hazardous work in slaughterhouses.

These revelations are part of a broader trend. Child labor violations are rising sharply in the U.S., including in hazardous industries, according to the Department of Labor. Republican lawmakers in several states are moving to relax child labor laws in order to help employers find more workers in a time of historically low unemployment.

And that comes off the cusp of this story:

Under the new law, children under 16 no longer have to get permission from the state’s Division of Labor to get a job, nor will they need to have their age verified or submit things like their work schedule for a permit. In addition to no longer needing to get a work certificate, children won’t need their parents’ consent.

It seems like this is a serious blunder (in the form of a major messaging inconsistency) from state-level republican governors and legislatures with regards to how their stance on this contrasts with their stances on other issues. Most state-level GOP bills regarding other topics are framed around the concept that "parental choice, parental consent, and parental notification are paramount for anything involving a minor"

And while I'm sympathetic to some of those initiatives...like thinking that parents should have to consent for a minor to receive certain treatments and procedures and have some say in the process, and suggesting that parental notification should factor in if a child discusses certain things with the school counselor (barring circumstances where they're reporting abuse from their parents, of course), and wanting to have parents have a say on what reading materials are in elementary school libraries (although I'd likely disagree with many conservative parents on where "the line" is)

Moves like this seem to shoot the whole "we're protecting the innocence of children" narrative in the foot.

It's kinda hard to take a person seriously on the topic of protecting minors (and their innocence) if the legislative proposals are "We need to make sure 14 year olds don't read any books with a sexual theme in the library...but it's okay if they go clean up severed animals heads, handle dangerous chemicals, and mop up blood in a meat packing plant"

I would like to think it's a case where most GOP voters are just unaware of these other issues... but if they are aware of it, and still think that a book that says "it's okay to be gay" being present in a Jr High library poses a bigger risk to children than this:
1678575683411.png

...then I think their priorities might be a tad skewed, or perhaps their statements have been dishonest. If they're not okay with the former, but okay with the latter, then they're not interested in "protecting children" as much as they're interested in "insulating their Childrens' religious upbringing from criticism"

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's kinda hard to take a person seriously on the topic of protecting minors (and their innocence) if the legislative proposals are "We need to make sure 14 year olds don't read any books with a sexual theme in the library...but it's okay if they go clean up severed animals heads, handle dangerous chemicals, and mop up blood in a meat packing plant"

...it's kind of hard to take a political party seriously whose "messaging" claims to stand for life, but then undermines our nation's children.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...it's kind of hard to take a political party seriously whose "messaging" claims to stand for life, but then undermines our nation's children.
I also think one contributing factor in this is some of the corporate funding of candidates that takes place.

Where politicians (on both ends of the spectrum) are basically forced to choose between "do this thing that's inconsistent with the rest of my messaging and get the campaign money" or "remain consistent jeopardize millions in campaign funding"

An example from the other side would be Democratic candidates who vote against "Medicare for All" (and it's not just the Manchins and Sinemas of the party), despite 80% of their party wanting it.

On this particular issue (apart from the other inconsistency I already elaborated on in the OP), the GOP has also put themselves between a rock and a hard place due to their embracing of "deregulation above all" and a staunch refusal to accept any sort of efforts aimed at wage standards.

Coming off the cusp of one of the few times in recent history that employees had more leverage than corporations, 18+ year old people have realized that they can do much better than mopping up chicken guts and using hazardous chemicals for $9/hour, which has left some of these corporations in a bind they haven't had to deal with in a long time. While their response to that should've been "hey, maybe we could get some of these people back if we tried $14/hour and benefits" (and companies like Blackstone can certainly afford it if their CEO is making $1.2 billion a year), they instead pushed for law makers to roll back child labor laws because they think "I bet high school kids in a poor rural area will do it for $9/hour like the adults used to have to, so lets just claim we're doing this because there's a worker shortage and there's no other alternative"

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Public employees’ retirement savings have funded the private equity takeovers of companies that used child labor in dangerous factories.

That company, a sanitation contractor called Packers Sanitation Services Inc., has been repeatedly bought and sold by private equity funds that manage retirement money for state and local public employees, according to a Lever review.

In other words, public officials have been using the retirement savings of unionized teachers, firefighters, and police officers to capitalize — and help Wall Street executives profit from — an outsourcing business that has used low-paid immigrants and even children for hazardous work in slaughterhouses.

These revelations are part of a broader trend. Child labor violations are rising sharply in the U.S., including in hazardous industries, according to the Department of Labor. Republican lawmakers in several states are moving to relax child labor laws in order to help employers find more workers in a time of historically low unemployment.

And that comes off the cusp of this story:

Under the new law, children under 16 no longer have to get permission from the state’s Division of Labor to get a job, nor will they need to have their age verified or submit things like their work schedule for a permit. In addition to no longer needing to get a work certificate, children won’t need their parents’ consent.

It seems like this is a serious blunder (in the form of a major messaging inconsistency) from state-level republican governors and legislatures with regards to how their stance on this contrasts with their stances on other issues. Most state-level GOP bills regarding other topics are framed around the concept that "parental choice, parental consent, and parental notification are paramount for anything involving a minor"

And while I'm sympathetic to some of those initiatives...like thinking that parents should have to consent for a minor to receive certain treatments and procedures and have some say in the process, and suggesting that parental notification should factor in if a child discusses certain things with the school counselor (barring circumstances where they're reporting abuse from their parents, of course), and wanting to have parents have a say on what reading materials are in elementary school libraries (although I'd likely disagree with many conservative parents on where "the line" is)

Moves like this seem to shoot the whole "we're protecting the innocence of children" narrative in the foot.

I would like to think it's a case where most GOP voters are just unaware of these other issues... but if they are aware of it, and still think that a book that says "it's okay to be gay" being present in a Jr High library poses a bigger risk to children than this:
View attachment 328942

...then I think their priorities might be a tad skewed, or perhaps their statements have been dishonest. If they're not okay with the former, but okay with the latter, then they're not interested in "protecting children" as much as they're interested in "insulating their Childrens' religious upbringing from criticism"

Yeah it's absolutely disgusting....and I have serious doubts about the way these "record low unemployment numbers" are being reached.

Because it's hard to work out exactly how we have both record levels of homelessness and unemployment. I'm aware that not everyone who is homeless is unemployed....but it's hard to see these homeless encampments and rows of tents in major cities and think all or most of these people are off working 9-5s.

The Republican Party has hit a new low with this garbage and frankly, the Democratic Party is working with them hand in hand. One party has allowed this massive influx of illegal labor, including children, and does far less to stop it than they do to help it. Prior to this administration, human traffickers used to have to get these people from the border to the job site....now the government does it for them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....they are liquidating the middle class. An endless influx of cheap illegal labor keeps wages stagnate. People like to say these are jobs no one wants....which is true....because they pay nothing. "Packers Sanitation Services Inc" doesn't really have to pay a living wage if they can get cheap illegal labor.

It's absolutely wrong for child labor laws to be relaxed, but the asylum process is backed up as much as 2-3 years in some states....and they cannot legally work as non-citizens and non-residents. They still have to pay the smugglers who got them here though...so child labor was inevitable. 2 million asylum applicants have been denied under Biden....and none have been deported.

It needs to be understood that this crisis is not small...nor is its effect limited only to border states. The education system suffers, the healthcare system suffers, the welfare system suffers, national security suffers, and yes...the labor market becomes dirty and filled with crime.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh and my personal favorite...

Now, the child mentioned in this video is obviously in a desperate situation and realistically, so are now tens if not hundreds of thousands just like him. He cannot simply choose to not pay....if he doesn't, terrible things will happen to his family members still in the clutches of cartels here in the US...or abroad. If he doesn't have family in their hands? He'll certainly be pimped out, forced to sell drugs, or worse. Out of those options, illegal child labor is preferable.

Upvote 0