Magnolia, AR
✟993,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The thematic connection I find in the last two days' reading: bondage and then freedom.

Obviously in a physical sense for the Israelites in Exodus 5 and 6, and more the spiritual for all of humanity in the end of the gospel of Matthew. It struck me this time, as it always does more or less in reading this passage from the end of Matthew 27 every time since I began looking at Scripture with fresh eyes about ten years ago, that of course the Pharisees and other leaders who conspired to kill Jesus Christ would take measures to ensure that no human still walking the Earth would ever see Him alive again after His death on the cross. Lest the prophecy of His resurrection in three days come to fruition.

62 Now on the morrow, which is [the day] after the Preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees were gathered together unto Pilate, 63 saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said while he was yet alive, After three days I rise again.

64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest haply his disciples come and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: and the last error will be worse than the first.

65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a guard: go, make it [as] sure as ye can.

66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, the guard being with them.

It seems so fitting, actually, that men who refused to believe in Jesus as the Christ would actually fear His resurrection. That He was Who He said that He was and His Gospel was true.

They failed to prevent this from happening, of course. After all, if Jesus never rose from the dead, then He would prove to have been a false Messiah, and, as Paul says later in the epistles, our faith in Him would be in complete vain.

Remember this, everyone, the Resurrection. I am not one to preach - in fact, a sinner, a man of many fears, and a man who is actually not near as articulate and eloquent of speech as many people seem to graciously think of me, like myself actually found it quite odd that one time in my life where many in my current social circle said that I was surely destined to be a "Louisiana preacher" - but I do want to remind you of the great importance that is the fact that Christ rose again after death. If it had never happened, then we ourselves have no forgiveness of sins, and absolutely no hope of ever returning to life after death. Like St. Paul said, our faith is for naught in that case, if Christ never arose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh ....
The automatic links to the Bible are now gone. =/
Do you mean that you can't click on the Bible chapter and verse that you put here and it won't automatically go to it? By the way keep up the good work, every scripture reading will not return void. You just never know when the holy Spirit will bring any of that back to you when the right time comes in the appropriate situation.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you mean that you can't click on the Bible chapter and verse that you put here and it won't automatically go to it?

Yes, it appears that way, at least for me on my phone. Perhaps CF has a distinct web and mobile version in which only on the former can we still type out a book and chapter and it automatically link to the online Bible here?

By the way, cute new avatar, Sampa. :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By the way, I would like to mention something new that I found upon reading Exodus 1 a few days ago.

I always figured that the king of Egypt who welcomed Jacob and his kin into the country for Joseph's sake toward the end of Genesis, is a very different king from the Pharaoh generations later in the start of Exodus who is, well, NOT so welcoming of the children of Israel in his domain, what with the slavery and all.

But I don't think I have ever before taken note of the reason that Scripture says this new Pharaoh treated the Istaelites much more oppressively. Exodus 1 says that, by his own words, Pharaoh feared how numerous the children of Israel had become, such that he feared they would turn on the Egyptian peoples, seeing an opportunity for conquest through their numbers. Thus, he thought it best to "get them before they get us", so to speak, and kept them under wraps via this system of slavery. This is a foolish reason to perform an inherently wicked act of oppression, exclusion, or genocide, of course, but I think it is a good reminder of what fear of others, in particular entire nations or races of one's fellow humans, can do to a man, persuading him in his mind to act first with some type of violence. When more than likely, no violence on behalf of the person(s) he feared was even coming to him.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it appears that way, at least for me on my phone. Perhaps CF has a distinct web and mobile version in which only on the former can we still type out a book and chapter and it automatically link to the online Bible here?

By the way, cute new avatar, Sampa. :)
Thank you I'm glad that you like it! I thought it was time for a change since Christian forms is changing. A little girl with creativity has always embodied the spirit that I carry. I'm imperfect and a work in progress.

It looks like they are working on it. I would submit the suggestion in the feedback thread. They finally brought back emoticons that you can agree and pray now. Feeling optimistic about the direction that this form is going to take. It is getting a little bit more friendly on the phone.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0