✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Teflon-slope, doncha know?

You understand that slippery slopes actually exist....right?

Like if you are willing to consent to children being taught to adopt sexual identities in school....you know, cuz whatever reasons you think it's a good idea....

And if you allow children to consent to medical procedures on their own bodies without regard to the consequences....

What exactly will you say when the pedos start demanding acceptance?

That children can't understand sexuality?

That they can't consent?

You're actively removing those arguments. Sliding right down the slope.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One area of "authority" influencing control of language sets precedent for others to control other things.
As @Pommer said, you gotta keep that slope good 'n' greasy...

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As @Pommer said, you gotta keep that slope good 'n' greasy...

Nah. Those who get their way, and then declare that "This is just the first step in a long journey" have enough grease of their own.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well they did get you to accept made up pronouns uncritically....you were just being polite.

Now you think a man is a woman if he claims it.
Or vice versa. I do have a close family member that went through a hard time. He says the hard part wasn't so much the transition, which he admits almost certainly saved his life, so much as the people (although very few in his case) who refused to accept what he had gone through. Just like you.

We've all told him to ignore those type of people. They aren't worth knowing.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just keep believing whatever they tell you. It's in fashion.
In this case you seem to be confused. As I was rejecting what I was being told. As in 'cut out the word fieldwork and next they'll be a-comin' fer your shootin' irons!'

Chick-Lit again.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Or vice versa. I do have a close family member that went through a hard time. He says the hard part wasn't so much the transition, which he admits almost certainly saved his life, so much as the people (although very few in his case) who refused to accept what he had gone through. Just like you.

That's the problem with trying to control society.

There's that spirit of love and tolerance and not being judgmental we keep hearing about from so many on the Left!

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There's that spirit of love and tolerance and not being judgmental we keep hearing about from so many on the Left!

If someone doesn't exhibit love and tolerance to him and are judgemental, then we avoid them. There are 2 or 3 people the family will never see again. And that's a good thing. As I said, the vast majority offered nothing except help and emotional support. I was humbled to see it. I feared the worse but was granted the best. The world is a better place than I actually thought it was.

Funny thing is, I see less of it on a Christian forum than I do in actual life. Just today he has been called mentally sick, as bad as a murderer and had some saying that they'd refuse to use his new pronoun.

And you have the gall to lecture me on love, tolerance and not being judgemental? Kinda lucky I'm not religious as I'd feel obliged to forgive them. As it is I'm not. So I don't.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If someone doesn't exhibit love and tolerance to him and are judgemental, then we avoid them. There are 2 or 3 people the family will never see again. And that's a good thing. As I said, the vast majority offered nothing except help and emotional support. I was humbled to see it. I feared the worse but was granted the best. The world is a better place than I actually thought it was.

Funny thing is, I see less of it on a Christian forum than I do in actual life. Just today he has been called mentally sick, as bad as a murderer and had some saying that they'd refuse to use his new pronoun.

And you have the gall to lecture me on love, tolerance and not being judgemental? Kinda lucky I'm not religious as I'd feel obliged to forgive them. As it is I'm not. So I don't.

And yet it's in the secular world that we that "love is love". Does that only apply when we live the same fantasy as the person who has been miseducated about their own sex?[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In this case you seem to be confused. As I was rejecting what I was being told. As in 'cut out the word fieldwork and next they'll be a-comin' fer your shootin' irons!'

Chick-Lit again.

Yeah sure...I've never been able to accurately guess your position on any recent social issue before you stated it.

You're an absolute mystery.

The reason you reject him a priori is because he has suggested something different to what you've already been told what is true.

Oh boy a personal appeal....

I wonder what that's like for you...feels embarrassing to fall on for me when I do it.

What exactly is it you think he's gone through? I've never doubted the nature of any medical treatments.....just the belief in recategorization of biological reality. I can't pretend to know what the source or nature of his feelings are....I don't know that he can either. Nor would I ever impose upon you some rule that claims to tell you the way that you should address him....however you perceive him now, that's not my business and it carries no moral judgment from me.

That's fair isn't it? Shouldn't you be able to address him however you perceive fit?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You understand that slippery slopes actually exist....right?

Like if you are willing to consent to children being taught to adopt sexual identities in school....you know, cuz whatever reasons you think it's a good idea....

And if you allow children to consent to medical procedures on their own bodies without regard to the consequences....

What exactly will you say when the pedos start demanding acceptance?

That children can't understand sexuality?

That they can't consent?

You're actively removing those arguments. Sliding right down the slope.
This…is the answer to your query about what “sealioning” is.
Fine example too, well done.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Asking valid questions to people who don't know what they're talking about.

Here's what a slippery slope is...

So after supporting the transition of children and their sexualization in school....what would you say to the pedos once they demand "equality"?

Because if you haven't already noticed...your side of the aisle doesn't have platforms anymore, just advocacy groups of marginalised people....that's driving their agenda.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a user of social media - apart from this forum, so I didn't know the term. Now I know what it is...gee, this place is Sealion City!

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a user of social media - apart from this forum, so I didn't know the term. Now I know what it is...gee, this place is Sealion City!

Yeah....why would you expect people to ask questions on a discussion forum?

Opinions and beliefs shouldn't be questioned....that's sealioning.

Actual sealioning would be found in the same thread where I asked @Pommer and another poster what sort of evidence they would like to satisfy the claim I made....but once provided, they both claimed that it was in some way insufficient despite meeting all criteria given.

Sealioning isn't really a term catching on the way gaslighting or other terms have caught on....because it's a redundant concept. Most of the time it's simple goalpost moving.....or even gish galloping....and in some cases, and I'm certain you've seen this @Bradskii, requests for evidence that aren't even sincere. For example, asking someone for evidence, receiving it, and then telling them that you aren't going to look at it anyway. Know anyone who does that?

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah....why would you expect people to ask questions on a discussion forum?

Opinions and beliefs shouldn't be questioned....that's sealioning.

Actual sealioning would be found in the same thread where I asked @Pommer and another poster what sort of evidence they would like to satisfy the claim I made....but once provided, they both claimed that it was in some way insufficient despite meeting all criteria given.

Sealioning isn't really a term catching on the way gaslighting or other terms have caught on....because it's a redundant concept. Most of the time it's simple goalpost moving.....or even gish galloping....and in some cases, and I'm certain you've seen this @Bradskii, requests for evidence that aren't even sincere. For example, asking someone for evidence, receiving it, and then telling them that you aren't going to look at it anyway. Know anyone who does that?
If we was all as smart as you Ana, the world would be a very boring place, indeed. [Edit: because we’d all agree, all of the time!]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, another entity has jumped on this bandwagon.

"We are writing to let you know that, going forward, the Office of Field Education will be renamed the Office of Practicum Learning, in keeping with our values and our commitment to anti-racist work," the email stated. "The college's Toward Racial Justice Plan asks us to consider that Smith was not originally designed for the diverse students, staff and faculty that we have now, and calls us to reflect on our past and present to build a more just and inclusive future."

It continued, "SSW's Core Principles encourage us to center the lived and historical experiences of Black, Indigenous, and other communities of color. We recognize that language is powerful and that phrases such as "going into the field" or "field work" may hold negative associations." .... This comes after the University of Southern California’s School of Social Work announced it would stop using the word "field," citing concerns over its racist connections related to slavery.

Yeah, some sociology PhD candidate invented this for their dissertation and it's spreading now like wildfire.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, some sociology PhD candidate invented this for their dissertation and it's spreading now like wildfire.
Is it wildfire? Or just one or two more instances?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Is it wildfire? Or just one or two more instances?
And I don't think they're saying the word is RACIST, just that it could hold some connotations in that context.

Is it worthwhile? Well that's another conversation.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,450.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Americans are weird

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0