Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and the University of Southern California's school of social work have taken steps to ban the word "field" on official documents, citing racist implications.
“This change supports anti-racist social work practice by replacing language that would be considered anti-Black or anti-immigrant in favor of inclusive language,” the letter said. “Language can be powerful, and phrases such as ‘going into the field’ or ‘field work’ may have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign.”
"Recently, staff and stakeholders have raised concerns about the use of the term 'field worker' and its implications for descendants of enslaved Black and Brown individuals," the memo says. "While the widespread use of this term is not intended to be harmful, we cannot ignore the impact its use has on our employees."

I'll bet not a single one of those complaining employees had ever worked in a field.

But I'll also bet 99% of all of us have an ancestor within the last 5 generations who did work in some kind of field.

When I was a teenager, I worked in someone else's field one day...kind of an experiment to see what "chopping cotton" was like. If I ever needed a reason to get a college degree, that one day chopping cotton provided all the reason I'd ever need. I did, however, do a lot of outdoor work for my grandfather on his property, so I was not a stranger to hard work under a hot sun.

I'm not embarrassed by the fact that my ancestors worked in fields, first those of slaveowners, then fields of their own. Certainly, the word "field" isn't going to "trigger" me.

This horse manure has long been absurd.

This is a result of making "black studies" a college major.

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is well meaning, but clueless. I don't even have to go back five generations: I've worked in fields growing up. It may come a shock to some, but field work is a farming thing, not a racial one.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I'll bet not a single one of those complaining employees had ever worked in a field.

But I'll also bet 99% of all of us have an ancestor within the last 5 generations who did work in some kind of field.

When I was a teenager, I worked in someone else's field one day...kind of an experiment to see what "chopping cotton" was like. If I ever needed a reason to get a college degree, that one day chopping cotton provided all the reason I'd ever need. I did, however, do a lot of outdoor work for my grandfather on his property, so I was not a stranger to hard work under a hot sun.

I'm not embarrassed by the fact that my ancestors worked in fields, first those of slaveowners, then fields of their own. Certainly, the word "field" isn't going to "trigger" me.

I once worked picking fruit in an orchard.That work is no joke either. I don't see how the word field can be triggering.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Field is on the chopping block? Seriously? In all of its denotations?

What's next? The term "discipline" will be considered a form of aggressive coercion? Sheesh!

I suppose by that logic, "self-control" goes next ....................................................... :argh:

• Haha
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Words and definitions really do matter. Twice in this thread.

It's a bit silly that "field" could be considered anti-black or anti-immigrant. In a language where words often have multiple meanings, Merriam-Webster lists 10 primary with 16 secondary definitions for the noun "field", with only one of those being agricultural related. Context matters as several of those are related to professional activities as well. It seems to me that their employees have to be looking for offense in order to claim that other uses of field would have any connotations of slavery.

However, "slur" also has a definition and the article never implied that the people complaining saw "field" as word intended to intentionally insult or disparage them. From reading the whole article I would sum it up as the use of the word is unintentionally triggering to them (which does seem to me to be a victim mentality they would be best served to grow past). Regardless, the title of the thread doesn't need to use a word (slur) that overstates the objections of those who complained. It is kind of the opposite end of the same issue TBH.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've worked in fields, but my ancestors from my great-grandparents on back were virtually all farmers, save for the random minister. Also, my black wife read this and rolled her eyes and said, "Yeah...that does nothing."

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

Thing would be a good supplemental word.

I used to work in the Healthcare thing. On a monthly basis we would have meetings where I would thing questions from various entities in the same thing. Some of us who worked together would also go to the baseball thing adjacent to our building just to relax by thinging balls. And sometimes during the spring I would help my neighbor plow the thing until evening. Then go home and relax by reading Thing and Stream magazine.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Looks like journalists out in the field will have to find somewhere else to work.
Same goes for Baseball and Football players.

And no wonder farmers are selling their fields. They must've seen this coming!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,263.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Out here amongst the lettuce, I fought for my meals.
Any thread that links to a Who song is good thread.

The department said staff should use the terms "community/local office" and "community/local staff." And so another decent song by Sting:

Community/Local Offices of Gold

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.