bhillyard

Mar 1, 2010
U.K.
✟283,979.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think we tend to be more private and feel that a person's political views are not something we would discuss overtly. They might become apparent over time as we get to know the person better.
Personally, unless the views are exceedingly to either extreme, it would not affect my liking for them.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I was born and bred in Blighty and there are certain traditional things I enjoy that have always been associated with us.
My ideal day out is walking in the countryside, and with my National Trust pass, visiting a monument, castle or historic home. A few miles from me are ruins of an ancient Roman settlement. There is so much history to explore. And of course a day out is incomplete without the obligatory visit to a traditional tea room with sandwiches, cake, or scones with jam and cream. All washed down with endless cups of tea.
It's a great time to sit and reminisce with friends and family and, of course, talk about the weather - like we always do.
Life is not always idyllic or perfect in our country and we know it all too well. We are probably some of the most cynical and self-deprecating people on the planet. Our humour is extremely subtle yet effective enough to cause the unwitting target a lot of embarrassment! And I think it is because we don't take ourselves too seriously, that we have learned to be very open and tolerant of others.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,835.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have never been to England, but looks like boating on canals in a narrowboat is something done there.

Once this virus thing is over, you will have to come and visit.

Canals were built about 200 years ago, but were quickly replaced by the railways (in some cases, railway companies bought canals to remove competition). Today they are important for tourism and leisure.

The canals on the Continent are often much bigger, and can take much larger boats.

Reactions: shortangel
Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,835.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have something to ask. Do the English(Londoners in particular) citizens with right wing beliefs and those with left wing beliefs get along very well with each other as compared to Americans? I don't mean those with extreme right or left beliefs.
I only went for a holiday there once so I don't know what their attitude is regarding political beliefs.

Agree with the comments made by Bhillyard and Strong In Him have. Politics in Britain are not as polarised as America (or at least, as reported). Except for Brexit. I carefully said 'Britain', as Northern Ireland is different.

In most churches, you are likely to find people of different political persuasions, or none (most common?). When I first started attending my church (Baptist), one member was a leading Conservative local councillor and another was a trade union official (Labour).

There are some important differences compared to America. Britain is no longer a Christian country, not even nominally. So, that means that the political parties are not particularly interested in courting the 'Christian' vote.

There is no equivalent of the 'Moral Majority' in Britain. While Christians are involved in politics, I am not aware that there is any correlation between a particular denomination or theology and with a political party. If a church minister or leader were to offer public support for a particular party, they would risk antagonising the majority of their congregation or membership.

Christians are involved with issues, but I think we have a much wider range of concerns than the Moral Majority. Few people will vote for a party purely based on its stance on one or two 'hot potatoes' such as abortion or same sex marriage (besides, in England, the three main parties are very similar on these). Other issues include: poverty, injustice, climate change, debt, human trafficking, modern slavery, homelessness.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Once this virus thing is over, you will have to come and visit.

Canals were built about 200 years ago, but were quickly replaced by the railways (in some cases, railway companies bought canals to remove competition). Today they are important for tourism and leisure.

The canals on the Continent are often much bigger, and can take much larger boats.

I have become a fan of the canals of England. I have ordered a few videos about the canals.

Thanks for the invite, it may be awhile for me ( i hope), i am looking after my 91 year old mom and really can not get away right now.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My take is dated. It has been decades since I toured England and Wales.

From that time I'd say pretty much like California, well perhaps Northern California. Biggest difference is Football means Soccer first and Rugby Union second. The beer is better. Instead of going out for Mexican food it is Indian food. Not much surfing, but rowing or sailing.

Oh and it is dangerous to stay in some older pubs. (I was on a Rugby tour both times and did stay in a pub once). The really old pubs have low and deadly doorways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alex Reynolds

Jan 18, 2021
Winchester
Visit site
✟9,676.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
A little niche hobby that, although is international really, is plastic model making, Airfix is a British company but any model set is called an Airfix set even if it isn't that brand, thought I'd include it, one of my favorite things to do.

Upvote 0